Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Downshift clunk

Dave01

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Pretty sure its what rockcrawlerdude said. Happens when you should come to a stop but then dont. Its the trans down shifting early in anticipation of stopping. It shifts into a lower gear the second you let off the brake. like a manual car jerking into a low gear. I have 4.10s and dinky tradesman tires and that low gear hit is hard.

It doesnt seem like an issue to be concerned about. Id worry more about hitting the gas peddle too early when shifting into drive/reverse from park. That really jacks things up and i see everyone do it. Torque + trans not fully engaged = death to trans.
Mine does it at times, so far doesn't bother me at all.

I agree on shifting, especially with the rotary shifter. The delay is definitely there, wish it shifted quicker but it's consistent. I wait until engaged before hitting the gas. When backing out of a parking space, or especially with plowing, it takes some discipline and patience to stay off the gas, but like you I think it can be damaging. I also, on a cold start, wait for rpm to drop below 1000 before shifting. I know that one is no longer really necessary, the transmission will drop rpm as it shifts, but it's a lifelong habit and makes me feel like I'm being kind to my vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread