Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Downshift clunk

Menacer

Reaction score
2022 2500 bighorn CC 6.4 4x4
Anyone else getting a clunk/lerch while slowing down to a stop. It doesn't always happen but when it does it seems that its somewhere from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd. Doesn't seem to do it in tow mode. I tried to do some searching myself and seems on older models and mostly 1500s most people were told by their dealer it was normal. Seems a little off to me. None of my 1500s ever did this. Never had an 8 speed though. I did try disconnecting the battery in hopes of making the trans "relearn" but it didnt help.

Huskers92

Reaction score
Yeah I have the same truck configuration and mine does it like 10% of the time. Haven't really figured out what causes it or why because of how random the occurrences are. Not just under heavy braking or when towing, cold start vs warm it doesn't seem to make a difference. Its almost a jolt forward sometimes, will ask the dealer when it gets it's first oil change.

Dingo

Reaction score
3 week old power wagon with the same issue. Just randomly, right before it comes to a complete stop, there is a noticeable lurch forward. Feels like you're getting bumped from behind. Cant imagine thats good for the life of the transmission.

jeepkevin

Reaction score
My 21 does it and it sure seems like it is the final disengagement of the torque convertor. With the new 8 speed and the dual over run clutch assembly, the trans stays locked up much more which is how the get the 10% increase in efficiency. This is my speculation. I can manually down shift, or slow down at different rates from coast to heavy braking and that clunk will go away. It has done it from new, I'm now at 15k miles.

Menacer

Reaction score
My 21 does it and it sure seems like it is the final disengagement of the torque convertor. With the new 8 speed and the dual over run clutch assembly, the trans stays locked up much more which is how the get the 10% increase in efficiency. This is my speculation. I can manually down shift, or slow down at different rates from coast to heavy braking and that clunk will go away. It has done it from new, I'm now at 15k miles.

If i time my slowing down I can avoid it as well. You can almost sense when it is going to happen. The torque convertor was my guess also.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Mine does it as well, usually when I should be stopping but I don’t. Example: coming to an almost-stop but then rolling a stop sign it may do a clunky downshift to first but would’ve been smoother if it stayed in second but it thought I was stopping.

I believe the truck learns how you drive and shifts according to what it thinks you’re doing/wanting

This is just what I’ve noticed and what I think is happening.

DooganDazs

Reaction score
I first experienced this clunk on my 2016 1500. Felt like I was getting rear-ended sometimes. Dealer said it was normal. Then I traded that in for a 2020 1500 and it never happened, I thought it might be a software issue that was finally fixed. Now I have a 2022 Power Wagon and it clunks again. All three of these trucks had the 8 speed transmissions (but not sure if it's the same model of tranny on 1500s and the 2500). Now that I'm paying attention to it again, it seems like it happens when coming to a stop and it downshifts from fourth to first. But agreed with others that it doesn't happen all the time.

BaseBD

Reaction score
Can add me to the list of having it happen occasionally as well. similar circumstances. 2022 3500 Hemi.

matemike

Reaction score
Yeah I have the same truck configuration and mine does it like 10% of the time. Haven't really figured out what causes it or why because of how random the occurrences are. Not just under heavy braking or when towing, cold start vs warm it doesn't seem to make a difference. Its almost a jolt forward sometimes, will ask the dealer when it gets it's first oil change.
Did you get any feedback from the dealer?

My 2022 8spd Hemi 2500 Laramie does it too.

7,100 miles now. My 9 year old daughter was in the back seat the other day and she even made a comment like, " daddy, your truck jerks my head when you're trying to stop sometimes"

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
My 22 Power Wagon occassionally the does the clunk when coming to a stop too. Started soon after i bought the truck and still the same after putting 19K miles on it.
Sometimes it seems to happen more often, so ill unplug the battery and that usually calms it down (i assume its relearning).

My 2016 Rebel had the clunk too but it raaaarely happens.

Last edited:

matemike

Reaction score
I have read on hear that a TSB may be coming out early 2023 to flash the ecu to make better shift parameters in our 8spd transmissions.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I have read on hear that a TSB may be coming out early 2023 to flash the ecu to make better shift parameters in our 8spd transmissions.
I am trying to patiently wait....I really am. I can tell immediately in the cold trans shifting vs once it's up to operating temp. But the method of decel to a stop creating a hard downshift is hit/miss.
I can feel when cold a 6th gear converter lockup confusion when under low load just coasting. The table of parameters used to determine when to lockup must have the trigger right in the middle of the point I drive on a certain section of road at a certain fresh start temp of a Fall KY morning. I can make it buck every time....

Jkmclemore

Reaction score
My 22 tradesmen is in the shop right now, said today they are doing to do a transmission relearn and give it back for me to drive and let it relearn.

KateTX

Reaction score
My 22 tradesmen is in the shop right now, said today they are doing to do a transmission relearn and give it back for me to drive and let it relearn.
Did the "transmission relearn" work for you?

KateTX

Reaction score
Has anyone else found a solution? I have had my 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesmen in multiple times for this issue and it seems to be getting worse. Started at 29k miles and am now at 34k. Each time I am told it can't be duplicated and no error code is showing on the computer...so no issue. Completely agree it feels like you are getting hit from behind. Opened a case with Stellantis and a case manager shared they are working on this issue with another customer. Dealerships must not use internet to do a search since they say they can't find any other reference to this issue anywhere. Tried to do a trade as I feel this is a safety issue. Was offered 17k less than what I paid for 2 years ago it in trade. Big hit due to equipment issue.

pizzatots

Reaction score
I've noticed mine doing this as well. Only time I've really noticed it is on a cold start, and slowing down, while going downhill. Happens almost every time I leave my MILs house.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Pretty common on all of the 8 speeds. Was able to get it tuned out in the last 1500 I had, but my challenger did it aggressively anytime the adapatives were reset with its far more aggressive tuning (both were tuned). Don't have much experience with the newer trucks that have the 8 speeds, but past experience tells me the OE trans tuning is likely lacking.

I do really like the ZF 8 Speeds compared to the RFE slushboxes they replaced, but I was never happy with the stock FCA tuning on any of the ones I've owned. The 1500 was tuned for daily driving, towing, and having fun offroad while the challenger was tuned for fun with minimal regard for daily driving (The thing was on solid cradle bushings and all poly/delrin bushings elsewhere so I really didn't mind aggressive tranny tuning to go with it lol).

KateTX

Reaction score
Mine does a lot of strange things and drives like poo unless traction control is turned off, first thing hit that button upon startup.
Thanks for the tip. May have a challenge as this feature turns off and on at will in my vehicle. Will give it a go.

WildBill138

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Pretty sure its what rockcrawlerdude said. Happens when you should come to a stop but then dont. Its the trans down shifting early in anticipation of stopping. It shifts into a lower gear the second you let off the brake. like a manual car jerking into a low gear. I have 4.10s and dinky tradesman tires and that low gear hit is hard.

It doesnt seem like an issue to be concerned about. Id worry more about hitting the gas peddle too early when shifting into drive/reverse from park. That really jacks things up and i see everyone do it. Torque + trans not fully engaged = death to trans.

Users who are viewing this thread