Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Diesel Idle-Up Feature

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
On page 143 of the 2022 owner manual it talks about the ideal up feature.

“The driver-controlled high idle speed feature will help increase cylinder temperatures and provide additional cab heat, however, excessive idling may still cause the exhaust aftertreatment system to not properly regenerate. Extended periods of idle time should be avoided.
The Idle-Up feature uses the Cruise Control buttons to increase engine idle speed and quickly warm the vehicle's interior.
1. With the transmission in PARK, the parking brake applied, and the engine running, push the On/Off button to the ON position, then push the SET (-) button.
2. The engine RPM will go up to 1,100 RPM. To increase the RPM, push and hold the RES (+) button and the idle speed will increase to approximately 1,500 RPM. To decrease the RPM, push and hold the SET (-) button and the idle speed will decrease to approximately 1,100 RPM.
3. To cancel the Idle–Up feature, either push the CANCEL button, push the On/Off button, or press the brake pedal.”

Tried it. Followed the directions exactly. Doesn’t work. Anyone know any thing more about this feature?

@Jimmy07

Jnrcarson

Reaction score

“The driver-controlled high idle speed feature will help increase cylinder temperatures and provide additional cab heat, however, excessive idling may still cause the exhaust aftertreatment system to not properly regenerate. Extended periods of idle time should be avoided.
The Idle-Up feature uses the Cruise Control buttons to increase engine idle speed and quickly warm the vehicle's interior.
1. With the transmission in PARK, the parking brake applied, and the engine running, push the On/Off button to the ON position, then push the SET (-) button.
2. The engine RPM will go up to 1,100 RPM. To increase the RPM, push and hold the RES (+) button and the idle speed will increase to approximately 1,500 RPM. To decrease the RPM, push and hold the SET (-) button and the idle speed will decrease to approximately 1,100 RPM.
3. To cancel the Idle–Up feature, either push the CANCEL button, push the On/Off button, or press the brake pedal.”

Tried it. Followed the directions exactly. Doesn’t work. Anyone know any thing more about this feature?

@Jimmy07
My salesman showed me that feature when I was looking at trucks on the lot before I ordered mine. It worked but I can’t remember exactly how he did it. I do remember that it didn’t work at first and I was doing something wrong. Maybe the e-brake needs to be set for it to work.

Nd79

Reaction score
My idle up feature has always worked for me. After starting the truck, foot off the brake push the cruise control ON button. When the cruise light is on in the dash, push -SET button. Then adjust from there.

I'd be interested to know if there are certain parameters where a truck wouldn't engage high idle.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

@Jimmy07
No need for parking brake just press cruise on and hit set…. It wont let you do it if the truck is to cold (it will do it on its own after a bit if its really cold when it does cabin heating)

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Okay. I mis read read it. It says e brake on. Nothing about about foot on the brake.

I had my foot on the brake. And e brake off. I’ll try it again this morning. Heading out here in a few.

You’re saying you don’t even need the e brake on though?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Okay. I mis read read it. It says e brake on. Nothing about about foot on the brake.

I had my foot on the brake. And e brake off. I’ll try it again this morning. Heading out here in a few.

You’re saying you don’t even need the e brake on though?
I never use the park brake and i use my high idle daily

Wilder

Reaction score
on mine you have to press the cruise control enable button first. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure this out

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
on mine you have to press the cruise control enable button first. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure this out

I got that part.

I just kept reading the instructions wrong.

It was user error.

I had my foot on the brake, which disengages the feature.

Then I was pushing the + button instead of the set button, because logically + made sense to me…I wanted the idle to go up!

Jozzz

Reaction score
Is this only for 2022 models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmbecke

Reaction score
If its not needed for warming a cold truck, then how and why are you using it?

Nd79

Reaction score
I like to use mine for warming up and giving the batteries a good boost after starting.

I think it also helps the dpf not clog as quickly with extended idle time.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It is needed but if the truck is cold it will do it automatically after a few mins also it wont let you do it right after starting the truck if the engine is too cold… i use mine anytime i have to idle as low idle is not good for long periods of time… when i winch vehicles and other stuff on to my flat deck or when dumping my dump trailer i also use high idle to get a bit more juice to the trailers batteries

Users who are viewing this thread