Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 cargo view and 5th wheel prep

kevin588127

Reaction score
I am currently building a 2022 crew cab big horn. I have opted for the digital rearview mirror. There is a slight chance I may sometime upgrade to a 5th wheel but it isn't in the current plans. If I did that, I would probably wish that I had the cargo view cam and 5th wheel prep. The 5th wheel prep is almost a no brainer as I don't want to go through the hassle of drilling holes in my bed later. My question is more towards the cargo cam. I have no real need for it except for hitching up a goose neck or 5th wheel. Does the cargo cam use a different camera than the digital rear view mirror? Could it be added later for a reasonable price? I guess initially, I thought that the digital mirror used the rear tail gate camera but it seems that it has its own camera in the 3rd brake light. hanks to anyone that can clear this up.

mkmsr

Reaction score
I doubt it will near a price you'd be happy with considering how cheap it is to add to the order. I messed up a didn't add the aux switches to my order and completely regret it even though I have no need. I know adding them after the fact would cost 3X the order cost and that's just for the parts.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The Digital rear view mirror has it's own (2nd) camera in the CHMSL to provide a "rear view mirror" view. It can also be (digitally) tilted and zoomed.

The Cargo camera is a different camera in the CHMSL and is viewable on the radio screen when in reverse or selected via the screen. It can be zoomed only.

The Digital Tow Mode camera kit is an external camera with a long coax cable that plugs into a port on the bumper and displays on the Digital rear view mirror. If you think you want it, get it with the truck (cheaper) as they are not currently, and who knows when/if they'll be available as a parts order.

In addition to those, there's also a 360° trailer surround system available if the truck has 360° surround view.

(CHMSL - Center High Mounted Stop Light)

kevin588127

Reaction score
So according to what I'm seeing, my bighorn level C with digital mirror should come with the wired tow camera for the trailer. Towards the bottom of the build screen that is checked with a $0 cost. the box says wired tow camera.

So am i correct to assume that there are several different third brake lights? One that has 2 cameras and one that has either of the other cameras?

I know these things are cheap to add but due to price increases and ram making certain packages unavailable, Im already pretty much at the max that I wanted to spend. I started off wanting a well optioned tradesman and now up to mid optioned big horn, lol.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you select a package that includes the digital mirror (Safety Group B on Bighorn), it shows the tow mode camera as a priced option.

If you selected the Mirror/tow package for $995, the camera will show selected as $0.

Start with a default truck and select the tow mode camera down towards the bottom, and it forces you to select a package: Safety Group B, or the Tow-Mode Digital Rear-View Mirror Package.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Yes, I selected the digital mirror package. That selects the wires camera option and shows a zero cost. I am assuming that means I get the mirror, wiring to the bumper AND the wired camera is included. This is really the only function I want from the mirror, I want to see what is behind my camper.

Alternatively, it looks like I could add the wired camera (no camera option) and do the cargo view camera. I would still have to buy a wired camera and both that and the cargo view would show up on the uconnect.

Think I'm going to pass on the cargo view as I can only see it being used IF I get a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Last thing on the 5th wheel prep. Does it readily accept a drop in gooseneck ball? And does it work with standard 5th wheel hitches or is it Mopar specific.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I selected the digital mirror package. That selects the wires camera option and shows a zero cost. I am assuming that means I get the mirror, wiring to the bumper AND the wired camera is included. This is really the only function I want from the mirror, I want to see what is behind my camper.

Alternatively, it looks like I could add the wired camera (no camera option) and do the cargo view camera. I would still have to buy a wired camera and both that and the cargo view would show up on the uconnect.

Think I'm going to pass on the cargo view as I can only see it being used IF I get a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Last thing on the 5th wheel prep. Does it readily accept a drop in gooseneck ball? And does it work with standard 5th wheel hitches or is it Mopar specific.

For your needs, stick with the digital mirror/Tow mode camera.

The "wired" camera displays on the Uconnect radio, but cannot be kept on while moving forward. I believe this option, on non-360° trucks is like the pre-22 UC4 that's only 2 AUX analog cameras. 12-pin connector in the bumper (and bed if 5th wheel prep). It's NOT the cargo camera.

The 5th wheel prep is the GN ball mount and Mopar puck system. It also gets the 7-pin connector added into the bed.

Puck systems are make specific. Ram/GM/Ford are all different. Puck systems are far superior to the old rail system mounted hitches. RAM also puts their pucks out wider than the others.

The GN ball mount is a standard round ball available from several suppliers - B&W, Reese, Curt (factory Mopar is Curt). For how little I use mine (never yet), I preferred the Reese kit over the Curt kit. For the ultimate GN ball, the B&W with the big lever is the bomb but it also sits much higher.

Keep in mind the B&W square hole 4" offset GN ball mount (used for short beds) will not work in the factory (round) GN mount. That said, the B&W plate/latch can be purchased and will bolt right into an existing 5th wheel prep or added (bolt on) to any truck if you punch the hole.

As to the cargo cam, I'm not sure how you get that in the Bighorn. It used to be in the "tow tech" group, but everything has changed.

@Jimmy07 will know.

Users who are viewing this thread