Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 6.4 intermittent battery drain.

20Montana

Reaction score
Happened a month ago for the first time. Truck had sat for 4 days. I went to start it and it was dead. The battery had 1 volt. I took it to the dealer and they wanted me to leave it for 5 days. I could not be without it that long.
Truck was fine for a month, and then Tuesday I went to start it and same thing. DEAD. Battery had 3 volts on it. I charged it that evening for 2 hours and shut the charger off. battery had 11.5 volts. The next morning it had 3 volts.
This time I disconnected the battery cable and charged the battery to 12.5 Volts. It has held it's charge for 2 days with the battery cable still disconnected.
Truck is stock. No aftermarket added at all. No lights left on. Nothing. Any ideas? Now I am installing a battery disconnect switch for the time being. Bought the truck in January.

jadmt

Reaction score
on my 2020 I had to have both the battery and alternator replaced at just over 6000 miles and 6 months. It did take them like 3 days to figure it out as they had to leave it hooked up one of their diagnostic machines in order for RAM to pay the warranty claim. I am now at 20,000 miles and knock on wood no further battery issues.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
Wow, that is a heck of a drain and will be very difficult to troubleshoot. I can't imagine what would take it down that far, maybe some sort of stuck relay.

20Montana

Reaction score
It has to be something like that. I stopped and talked to them today. It's going in the shop next week or two. Not sure they will find it.

Riddick

Reaction score
Time to get out the amp meter. This will show you there is a parasitic draw on the battery. Once you verify this leave it hooked up and start pulling fuses until you figure out what's causing it.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
You can't just grab an ammeter and start testing in this case. The issue is intermittent - most of the time there is no issue, but apparently every couple weeks something is draining the battery. I would start by getting a low voltage alarm like this:

Then, when it goes off, break out the ammeter and start pulling fuses to see what circuit is on.

Riddick

Reaction score
You can't just grab an ammeter and start testing in this case. The issue is intermittent - most of the time there is no issue, but apparently every couple weeks something is draining the battery. I would start by getting a low voltage alarm like this:

Then, when it goes off, break out the ammeter and start pulling fuses to see what circuit is on.

The low voltage alarm is a good idea but its a little over kill in my opinion. Even if the issue was intermittent it takes a whole 10 seconds to open the hood to see how many amps the truck is pulling off the battery. Pop your hood and let the truck sit long enough for everything to power down and start troubleshooting.

I do agree with the poster above that the dealer should be correcting the issue. However, they all seem to be very busy and backed up so if you can isolate the power draw you may be able to run without this component until the dealer can get you in.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
Happened a month ago for the first time. Truck had sat for 4 days. I went to start it and it was dead. The battery had 1 volt. I took it to the dealer and they wanted me to leave it for 5 days. I could not be without it that long.
Truck was fine for a month, and then Tuesday I went to start it and same thing. DEAD. Battery had 3 volts on it. I charged it that evening for 2 hours and shut the charger off. battery had 11.5 volts. The next morning it had 3 volts.
This time I disconnected the battery cable and charged the battery to 12.5 Volts. It has held it's charge for 2 days with the battery cable still disconnected.
Truck is stock. No aftermarket added at all. No lights left on. Nothing. Any ideas? Now I am installing a battery disconnect switch for the time being. Bought the truck in January.

Re-reading your post, I see the first time it happened the truck sat for 4 days. Had it ever sat that long prior? Then after being fine for a month, did it sit again for several days? Because if so, it might not be intermittent and that would be easier to find.

20Montana

Reaction score
Re-reading your post, I see the first time it happened the truck sat for 4 days. Had it ever sat that long prior? Then after being fine for a month, did it sit again for several days? Because if so, it might not be intermittent and that would be easier to find.
I drive a company truck during the week. It gets driven on the weekend. First 3 months no problem. Happened, and then was fine for a month. Happened again. Now a week later still fine. I shut it off and check it with a VM to see if it’s draining. I have installed a disconnect switch. If I need it fine. But so far I leave it closed.

20Montana

Reaction score
Dealer said it is probably a computer module not shutting down. Ok, well this intermittent problem is going to be very difficult to find just dropping the truck off. IMHO.

20Montana

Reaction score
I have a 2002 F350 that’s gets driven every 3 to 4 weeks that starts every time.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
Dealer said it is probably a computer module not shutting down. Ok, well this intermittent problem is going to be very difficult to find just dropping the truck off. IMHO.
That is why I was recommended the low voltage alarm. That way you will know that whatever is staying on at times is actually on, then you can grab a meter and start pulling fuses until it stops to find the closed circuit.

20Montana

Reaction score
That is why I was recommended the low voltage alarm. That way you will know that whatever is staying on at times is actually on, then you can grab a meter and start pulling fuses until it stops to find the closed circuit.
Thanks! I will have to check it out. Yes that will work at least for now!

Streetdoc

Reaction score
There are several other forums talking about this and there are several YouTube videos, this is also going on with my truck. What i have found out is that the WIN Module (where your ignition key goes) tries to communicate with the Security Node and when it fails it eats up your batteries. I ended up installing battery disconnects on each battery. (Ram Win Module (ignition switch) Easy Fix!!!! Save 600$+ dollars - YouTube);

Zoc

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 2500, 6.4 gas with this problem, an intermittent / parasitic drain on my battery. My dash lights also flash at times and when my battery dies the radio is on after I jump start it. I've had the truck into the dealer 4 times. Only 10k miles on the truck. Dealer replaced the battery, replaced the negative cable. I am including links to two videos I made. Anyone get this problem solved?

mlink

Reaction score
Isn’t this the same issue that someone posted a Star Publication S228A000030 on the UConnect 12 update thread a few days ago?

rasmo22HD

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 2500, 6.4 gas with this problem, an intermittent / parasitic drain on my battery. My dash lights also flash at times and when my battery dies the radio is on after I jump start it. I've had the truck into the dealer 4 times. Only 10k miles on the truck. Dealer replaced the battery, replaced the negative cable. I am including links to two videos I made. Anyone get this problem solved?

I'm dealing with the same problem... 2022. Dealership has had the truck going on three weeks now... they have no clue. Oh, and I finally got a rental today. They said I couldn't get one until they actually tore into it. I guess troubleshooting doesn't count as "broke "

Zoc

Reaction score
I'm dealing with the same problem... 2022. Dealership has had the truck going on three weeks now... they have no clue. Oh, and I finally got a rental today. They said I couldn't get one until they actually tore into it. I guess troubleshooting doesn't count as "broke "
When you jumped your truck was the radio on? If they find the problem please post and I'll do the same. Good luck!

sparkovich

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issues. 2019 6.4 gas. Mine goes into the dealer on Wed. If they figure it out, I'll post.

In talking with the guy at Advanced Auto, he said that he's seen a similar intermittant drain issue on other models, and they were all caused by a remote start issue. Not sure how much weight to put in that, but it would make sense that, since I assume it would always be active and looking for that keyfob signal...‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread