Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 3500 diesel, transmission query

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Driving with the 3700# truck camper on, towing a small trailer, truck downshifts on a flat section of road. Using cruise and tow/haul mode, 70-75mph. Weird. Take it off cruise, and tow haul, slow down, I think I put it in neutral too. Happened twice. See pics for weirdness.IMG_8571.jpegIMG_8570.jpegIMG_8569.jpeg

PRS

Reaction score
Driving with the 3700# truck camper on, towing a small trailer, truck downshifts on a flat section of road. Using cruise and tow/haul mode, 70-75mph. Weird. Take it off cruise, and tow haul, slow down, I think I put it in neutral too. Happened twice. See pics for weirdness.View attachment 64936View attachment 64937View attachment 64938
Ok, I’ll bite.
Type transmission?
In the first picture you’re at 44mph in 4th gear, 6th gear is locked out and cruise is engaged. No engine brake mode is selected, tow haul is selected. Battery voltage is ok and indicated(fake) oil pressure is good. .8 mile later you’re in 5th gear at 53mph and 1500 rpm, cruise is still engaged. The last picture is .9 mile later, you’re in 3rd gear at 32mph and 1500 rpm, and the cruise is off, tow/haul is still on.
What am I missing?
You went from 70mph in 5th to around 40mph in 4th and back to 53mph in 5th before canceling cruise and using the throttle?

Last edited:

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Driving with the 3700# truck camper on, towing a small trailer, truck downshifts on a flat section of road. Using cruise and tow/haul mode, 70-75mph. Weird. Take it off cruise, and tow haul, slow down, I think I put it in neutral too. Happened twice. See pics for weirdness.View attachment 64936View attachment 64937View attachment 64938
Was there a headwind or a wind gust? At 75 mph with a camper, I’m not surprised by the downshift even on a flat road if you had any kind of a headwind.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Nothing weird about those pics. TH locks out 6th below 65, 5th below 55, and 4th below 45 on my truck. So what I see is normal.

You haven’t mentioned which transmission you have thou.

Do yourself a favor and get some better gauges up there, oil pressure is fake and voltage doesn’t tell you anything worthwhile while towing.

Boost, trans temp, coolant temp, and instant mpg all are indicators has to how hard the engine is working and you don’t have any of them displayed.

ironmike

Reaction score
Looks to me that this is all done in manual mode due to the manual gear selection & speeds.... ???? my manual selections stay in the gears selected until it peaks at highest rpm's and stays there... until manually shifted... up or down...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks to me that this is all done in manual mode due to the manual gear selection & speeds.... ???? my manual selections stay in the gears selected until it peaks at highest rpm's and stays there... until manually shifted... up or down...

Only one of the photos indicated that the gear is being held by the ERS, the others are working based on standard TH programming. Even then the one that shows 5/5 wouldn’t be in 6th either way due to TH being active.

ironmike

Reaction score
Only one of the photos indicated that the gear is being held by the ERS, the others are working based on standard TH programming. Even then the one that shows 5/5 wouldn’t be in 6th either way due to TH being active.
Whoops my bad.... i forgot it shows selected gear on the right & truck down shifted on the left probably based on speed, weight & drag....

Users who are viewing this thread