Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 sounds like it has a supercharger at times

gibsonjs27

Reaction score
Hello all. Got a brand new 2500 6.4 4x4 and I've only got about 250 miles on it. Great truck so far (minus the 4 weeks at the dealership replacing leaking transmission cooling lines) but I do have a question. At times, when I need to get on the throttle, it sounds like there's a supercharger under the hood. Doesn't happen all the time but when it happens, it's very noticable. Anybody else hear this or think it's something I should have looked at?

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I don’t here any “supercharger” sounds, maybe you’re hearing the air box.

Reactions: CFE

gibsonjs27

Reaction score
I don’t here any “supercharger” sounds, maybe you’re hearing the air box.
I know what you're talking about but It comes and goes. Doesn't happen all the time. Granted, I've not had the truck long either so I can't compare it to anything. I'll just wait and see for a bit longer. Still got the factory warranty so if it does crap out, Ram will fix it. Might take a month or two but they'll fix it.

gibsonjs27

Reaction score
The supercharger sound mimics the hellcat if that helps. Like a mechanical wine that keeps in line with the engine rpm. Again, doesn't happen all the time. Only happened a couple times and even then it was with a heavy foot pulling into traffic or going to pass someone on the highway.

pizzatots

Reaction score
Fan clutch locking/unlocking/

Does the 6.4 non power wagon have a clutched fan? I sorta assumed the regular trucks had electric, but the power wagons were clutch fan for off road redundancy

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Can't say that I've ever heard anything like that, but I do know that when I have recirculate turned on with the A/C that the engine noise is significantly louder when getting on it versus with recirc turned off.

gibsonjs27

Reaction score
Well, I’m at almost 15k miles on this beast and it still does the “supercharger” whine periodically. It is definitely tied to engine RPM when it happens. Again, doesn’t happen all the time but even my girlfriend asked me if I did some work on the engine one time because it was very noticeable inside the cab.

Chris1911

Reaction score
I know what a Hellcat supercharger sounds like and i have never heard anything like that come out of either of the two 2500 6.4s i have had.

gibsonjs27

Reaction score
It’s definitely not as loud like a hellcat supercharger. But inside the cab it’s noticeable and if not expecting it, could definitely get you questioning if it’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Check your manifold bolts, could be a vacuum leak. All of the Hemi's I've had needed the manifold bolts retorqued at one point or another on those plastic intakes. None of them ever got to the point of a loud vacuum leak, but they were always something I checked periodically and would ocassionally find they needed a little love to get back to the speced torque value.

408MegaCab

Reaction score
My wife's SRT Durango (6.4L) does have a slight whine when you really stand on it. As much as I try to imagine it's a Hellcat, there is a difference between 485HP and 707HP.....:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread