Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 crewcab and 2022 Montana 5th wheel?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I really think you are over thinking it, i would not think twice running that trailer it will be good, sure it may be a little slow in the mountains but thats any N/A engine. it will handle it fine.. aslong as you keep your tire weight cap in check you will be fine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm still on the fence about this combo....the more I read the more I'm confused.
I have never considered "payload" numbers....this 5th wheel says 2200 lb pin weight....that would be considered payload correct?
One reference I saw said hitch pin weight is suppose to be 12% of the GVWR? That would be 1524lbs, but Montana sticker says it is 2200lbs?
When I look up payload capacity on my truck, I get 3200lbs!
My head is spinning.....what am I missing????

Like I said earlier. It's a 14K GVWR 5th wheel. The wet pin weight will likely be ~2800 lbs. 5th wheels are 18-22%.

Add your crew, gear, hitch to that 2800 and subtract it from the truck's rated payload to get an estimate.

I'd say you have about 400lbs to play with after the trailer is loaded up and you're going to be at or over the truck's payload limit.

The only way to get real numbers is to load it up and scale it. 1st weigh truck and trailer. Go drop the trailer and do a reweigh. You can download the CAT scale app to your phone and do it all on the app. shows you where to stop on the scale and everything.

22horn

Reaction score
Ok.....appreciate all the input.......time to make a decision.
Thanks

UglyViking

Reaction score
For what it's worth I think we spend a lot of time looking for the "perfect setup" when in reality there is a lot we can do to get by.

Since you already own the truck I'd keep it. Truck prices new and used are still insane right now, especially diesel, so it's not a great time to be a buyer. Buy the 5er you want, upgrade only if you're over your rear axle weights or if you've got the disposable income and really want to. Past that, take it out west and see how it handles. If you're doing these trips infrequently then you're probably going to be fine, just play it safe and follow the truckers in the right lane. You might lose a little time up and down hills, but you save a bunch of cash up front.

For what it's worth, I just came back from a NH to MT trip, and it was "fun" as my first time going through those kinds of mountains hooked to a trailer. I wouldn't want to do it in a gasser, but I feel more and confident I could easily.

22horn

Reaction score
What does "over your rear axle weights " mean? How do I know that number?

UglyViking

Reaction score
What does "over your rear axle weights " mean? How do I know that number?
Look at the door jam for a white sticker, I forgot where it is, may be on the door, it should list "GAWR front" and "GAWR rear" those are your axle ratings. In vehicle suspension world those numbers include the axle, suspension, etc. The best bet is to take your truck over a cat scale, to see where you are currently, then you can see what you have left.

To be clear, I don't think you'll have any issue with that 5er and capacity.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
That's a 14K GVWR Drop frame full size RV, 11K DRY. The dry pin weight is 2250.

Give me a holler when you need a truck to pull it over the Rockies. ;)

There are plenty of 10K 5th wheels with king beds. You're typically going to give up the front closet space.
Until you've driven I-70 from Denver to Vail, you haven't driven in the mountains. ;)

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
Guys, I'm still on the fence about this combo....the more I read the more I'm confused.
I have never considered "payload" numbers....this 5th wheel says 2200 lb pin weight....that would be considered payload correct?
One reference I saw said hitch pin weight is suppose to be 12% of the GVWR? That would be 1524lbs, but Montana sticker says it is 2200lbs?
When I look up payload capacity on my truck, I get 3200lbs!
My head is spinning.
Sign said clearance to the 12 foot line, but the chickens were stacked to 13 nine!
I haven't pulled my full kit over I-70 yet. However, I've run Wolf's Creek pass both ways so does that count?

I haven't pulled my full kit over I-70 yet. However, I've run Wolf's Creek pass both ways so does that count? :cool:
Well from there on down it wasn't real pretty, it was hairpin county and switchback city!

Users who are viewing this thread