Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 crewcab and 2022 Montana 5th wheel?

22horn

Reaction score
Looking at this Montana 5th wheel, 281CK--- 32ft long, hitch weight 2200lbs, loaded weight 12, 700 lbs.....am I gonna struggle with 6 1/2 bed, 3:73 rear, 6.4 HEMI?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How many people and how much gear you got? Where are you located? If in the mountains i would be hesitant with the hemi. If its an occasional tow sure no issues if its a ton of pulling the 4.10s would be better

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Terrain and frequency of trips matters, but from my experience here in the South East, the Hemi will pull it. It will be working, not struggling , some folks aren’t used to a gas engine “working”……………

I tow a 5ver that’s just a smidge lighter at around 10k pounds, it will move as fast as I’m willing push the go peddle.

If you’re in the mountains, it’s really gonna be working ;)

davidh1329

Reaction score
As others have said, It depends.... We tow a similar 5th wheel with a 2020 2500 6.4/4.10 CCSB around the southeast coast (SC to FL mostly) and it does fine. My steepest hill is usually a bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway :) It will downshift and rev, but maintains a decent speed. If you are in the mountains, it will not be a fun towing experience.

Last edited:

22horn

Reaction score
I'm in new England, but our plans are to see this country......I expect bad results out west mountains, but I already have the truck, and refuse to pay ridiculous diesel prices......maybe I should go for a lighter 5th wheel, but am tired of being CRAMPED, and I want a king bed! Lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a 14K GVWR Drop frame full size RV, 11K DRY. The dry pin weight is 2250.

Give me a holler when you need a truck to pull it over the Rockies. ;)

There are plenty of 10K 5th wheels with king beds. You're typically going to give up the front closet space.

22horn

Reaction score
That's a 14K GVWR Drop frame full size RV, 11K DRY. The dry pin weight is 2250.

Give me a holler when you need a truck to pull it over the Rockies. ;)

There are plenty of 10K 5th wheels with king beds. You're typically going to give up the front closet space.
Haven't found one yet....
So the 6.4 hemi, won't make the rockies in your opinion?

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
The 6.4 is a very good engine, but dragging that 5th wheel through the mountains will not be fun!

22horn

Reaction score
So............
I've owned 1/2 ton rams my whole life, towing lightweight 5th wheels no issues....,
We decide to go with a bit bigger 5th wheel, so we go out and buy a new 2500....and so far I'm hearing, not enough truck!
Story of my life....

Firebird

Reaction score
So............
I've owned 1/2 ton rams my whole life, towing lightweight 5th wheels no issues....,
We decide to go with a bit bigger 5th wheel, so we go out and buy a new 2500....and so far I'm hearing, not enough truck!
Story of my life....
If you were going to stay in the flat lands, no problem. However, 4.10 gears would be preferable. You mentioned hitting the mountains, and that will be white knuckle for sure.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Imo it will be fine for occasional mountain use as long as you are patient going up and down. On the way up let the trans shift down and rev the motor up and it'll make it up just fine, it just needs rpm to do it. On the way down start out slow and use low gears, and it should controll it fine. If you go barreling over the top and are going 70mph at the top it could get sketchy. Make sure the brakes are freshly bled with good quality, high temp fluid.

Fwiw I live in the Rockies, though I don't tow anything that big with a gas truck so I'm guessing:)

Nick

Reaction score
Old truckers rule...You can go up a mountain too slow many times but you can go down too fast just once ! They do have escape ramps if you lose your brakes . They are not just for trucks . Stab braking will minimize brake overheating . Get on them hard then get off of them . Don't ride them .
Safe travels .

Firebird

Reaction score
Old truckers rule...You can go up a mountain too slow many times but you can go down too fast just once ! They do have escape ramps if you lose your brakes . They are not just for trucks . Stab braking will minimize brake overheating . Get on them hard then get off of them . Don't ride them .
Safe travels .
I sure do love the exhaust brake on the Cummins!

22horn

Reaction score
Guys, I'm still on the fence about this combo....the more I read the more I'm confused.
I have never considered "payload" numbers....this 5th wheel says 2200 lb pin weight....that would be considered payload correct?
One reference I saw said hitch pin weight is suppose to be 12% of the GVWR? That would be 1524lbs, but Montana sticker says it is 2200lbs?
When I look up payload capacity on my truck, I get 3200lbs!
My head is spinning.....what am I missing????

Firebird

Reaction score
Guys, I'm still on the fence about this combo....the more I read the more I'm confused.
I have never considered "payload" numbers....this 5th wheel says 2200 lb pin weight....that would be considered payload correct?
One reference I saw said hitch pin weight is suppose to be 12% of the GVWR? That would be 1524lbs, but Montana sticker says it is 2200lbs?
I believe that pin weight is without propane tanks, batteries and completely empty?

downsc123

Reaction score
10 to 12% hitch weight is normal for a bumper pull (travel trailer). For a 5th wheel, 20% is normal. And yes, hitch/pin weight is payload along with your 5th wheel hitch that you add in the bed and anything else (including you) that you put in the truck.

downsc123

Reaction score
I believe that pin weight is without propane tanks, batteries and completely empty?
correct, the manufactures quoted pin weight is dry as it leaves from the factory before you add batteries and propane and anything else you decide to put in or on it

Firebird

Reaction score
correct, the manufactures quoted pin weight is dry as it leaves from the factory before you add batteries and propane and anything else you decide to put in or on it
That's what I thought. That pin weight will climb fast!

Users who are viewing this thread