Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 Bighorn 'mud flaps' are a joke

JimKIII

Reaction score
I just drove my new 2500 (see sig) 3,040 miles home from MD. The truck ran flawlessly. (I'll give a more thorough report later). And of course in the heat of excitement of first seeing truck and checking things out, I didn't notice how ridiculous, and worthless, the mud flaps were until I got home.

The flaps on my 18-old Dakota cover four times the area these flaps do. And these came on my 4x4 truck with the off-road pkg! These almost look like a joke that someone at the factory installed instead of the real flaps. Needles to say. can someone point me to some after-market flaps that would actually stop mud and rocks from flying all over the place? The ones that came from the factory are more aptly called 'mud thongs'.

Attachments

• front inside.png
    front inside.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • front outside.png
    front outside.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • Rear inside.png
    Rear inside.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • Rear outside.png
    Rear outside.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

flan

Reaction score
Those are known as “spats”, not to be confused with mudflaps. I believe the only purpose of them is to keep rock chips to a minimum. If you are looking for spray protection from road grime then yes, mud flaps are what you will want to install.
P.s. they are standard on all trim levels and are not part of an off-road package.

jon1704

Reaction score
I have a extra set brand new still in the box if you interested , their Husky brand $65.00 + shipping thanks Jon

sstoner911

Reaction score
As someone already mentioned...those are not mudflaps.

I would be more upset with those tires if you have the off road package.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Those are known as “spats”, not to be confused with mudflaps. I believe the only purpose of them is to keep rock chips to a minimum. If you are looking for spray protection from road grime then yes, mud flaps are what you will want to install.
P.s. they are standard on all trim levels and are not part of an off-road package.
So none of the trucks come with actual mud flaps, eh? If so, pretty goofy. In my opinion the spats are worthless. On my 3,000 drive home, I was on all kinds of freeways some of which had lots of asphalt repairs. Twice along the way I had to get tar remover to get rid of the tar crap that was slung up on my paint due to the ridiculous tiny spats. Standard mud flaps that used to come on any truck would have solved that issue. So I'll go out a spend $200 for real truck flaps. Other then that, the 2500 is fantastic!

JimKIII

Reaction score
As someone already mentioned...those are not mudflaps.

I would be more upset with those tires if you have the off road package.
So far the tires are fine. When they wear out I'll replace them with good rubber.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I have a extra set brand new still in the box if you interested , their Husky brand $65.00 + shipping thanks Jon
Thanks mate! I'll get back with you if I decide that route.

buzzuti

Reaction score
So none of the trucks come with actual mud flaps, eh? If so, pretty goofy. In my opinion the spats are worthless. On my 3,000 drive home, I was on all kinds of freeways some of which had lots of asphalt repairs. Twice along the way I had to get tar remover to get rid of the tar crap that was slung up on my paint due to the ridiculous tiny spats. Standard mud flaps that used to come on any truck would have solved that issue. So I'll go out a spend $200 for real truck flaps. Other then that, the 2500 is fantastic!
I feel like mud flaps are like beds.
People are particular about their mud flaps.

Spats are shiet, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread