Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 68rfe failure p2701 code

Thompsre08

Reaction score
2022 2500 Cummins w/ 68RFE trans a 35,888 miles on it.

Yesterday I was running around to a couple of different stores to get groceries. When leaving the last store, this very deep, low pitched drone picked up between 600-1100 rpms approximately. It was loud and almost felt like maybe a boot or fitting within the intake or exhaust went TU. I got home, got into the engine bay and under the truck and couldn't locate any obvious issue. I hooked up my OBD2 port scanner to see if there were any codes since the CEL wasn't on. It popped up with code P2701 Inadequate Element Volume 2C. It gave a few different potential issues with a stroking piston in the transmission that could become lodged in the stroked position and not disengaging or could be something to due with the valve body and a potential hydraulic leak. I'm set to go in tomorrow to drop it off and hit a couple other small warrant issues while it is there but I was curious if anyone has seen this code or hear about this issues. This is the first issue that has popped up with this truck and nothing tell tale or hinting that it was coming. Towed the fifth wheel over the pass and back last week but nothing arduous.

My gut says this happened because I finally installed some bronze overlays vinyl on the black ram badges that I ordered while waiting to receive my truck but who knows.....

Attachments

• 374221115_10159926749893666_5239323153162901671_n.jpg
    374221115_10159926749893666_5239323153162901671_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 375309712_10159926749913666_6606867452741201583_n.jpg
    375309712_10159926749913666_6606867452741201583_n.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 375823176_10159926749993666_6159281912809749073_n.jpg
    375823176_10159926749993666_6159281912809749073_n.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 375910281_10159926750003666_2246675700072666799_n.jpg
    375910281_10159926750003666_2246675700072666799_n.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 21

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Well short update they did confirm a transmission issue but can’t tear into it until Monday so we will see. Hopefully it won’t be a long back order on parts for whatever it may be….

Riddick

Reaction score
Wonder if this is is related to the shifting harshness you had sometime ago? Has the truck been shifting smooth over the last year? Keeping an eye on this, if I remember correctly our trucks were built very close together.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Wonder if this is is related to the shifting harshness you had sometime ago? Has the truck been shifting smooth over the last year? Keeping an eye on this, if I remember correctly our trucks were built very close together.
Yes it still shifted hard if I didn’t keep adequate throttle through shifts but I assumed it was a line pressure type deal. Outside of the incident it felt like it always had driving yesterday and this morning.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Just based on what I know of 68RFE's, On a stock truck that's likely a valvebody issue (2C accumulator spring failure) or there could be an issue with the 2C piston return spring not returning the piston when 2C is not being applied (there is a snap ring that retains that spring). If it was a built tranny some of those codes can occur due to a rapid clutch apply from better hydraulics/increased line pressure.

Basically the truck is complaining that the CVI is too low and 2C is applying faster than anticipated.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Just based on what I know of 68RFE's, On a stock truck that's likely a valvebody issue (2C accumulator spring failure) or there could be an issue with the 2C piston return spring not returning the piston when 2C is not being applied (there is a snap ring that retains that spring). If it was a built tranny some of those codes can occur due to a rapid clutch apply from better hydraulics/increased line pressure.

Basically the truck is complaining that the CVI is too low and 2C is applying faster than anticipated.
Yep my truck is completely stock within the drivetrain. Everything i could find about this code on the internets (not much) pointed to the snap ring or valve body. And since the condition went away after first popping up, my guess is the valve body. I would assume if the snap ring dislodged it would have left the piston engaged and the condition would remain the same until it is fixed. Hopefully its a quick fix. My work shop ram has 150,000 brutal miles on it and sucks haha.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Well the dealer called and said they wouldn't be able to tear into the transmission until early October saying there is most likely a broken snap ring for the 2s clutch. My issue is that they are saying they can't start tearing it down until early October to further diagnose. Then I assume they will have to order parts and wait longer. They are also wanting to charge $30 / day for a loaner. Is this the new standard for warranty work? I've never been charged for a loaner in my life unless if was for something out of warranty...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Well the dealer called and said they wouldn't be able to tear into the transmission until early October saying there is most likely a broken snap ring for the 2s clutch. My issue is that they are saying they can't start tearing it down until early October to further diagnose. Then I assume they will have to order parts and wait longer. They are also wanting to charge $30 / day for a loaner. Is this the new standard for warranty work? I've never been charged for a loaner in my life unless if was for something out of warranty...

That's just unacceptable. Do you have any other dealers in the nearby area you can call to see if they're any less horrible ? I've noticed these days that the dealership just really sucks to deal with on anything.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
That's just unacceptable. Do you have any other dealers in the nearby area you can call to see if they're any less horrible ? I've noticed these days that the dealership just really sucks to deal with on anything.
I've already started calling around. The dealer told me that they charge for loaners because the warranty doesn't cover the daily vehicle cost during the waiting period due to the shop being busy, which in my opinion, is an even bigger slap in the face. So I've got a $75,000 truck that is as good as an anchor for the next two months....

@RamCares does the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty reimburse if an independent shop can complete the repair? The proposed timeline at the moment is ridiculous.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Found a dealer about 45 minutes north that can start tearing into the tranny by the end of this week. Now i just have to figure out how to get it there....

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Found a dealer about 45 minutes north that can start tearing into the tranny by the end of this week. Now i just have to figure out how to get it there....

How good is your insurance policy and does your agent like you or owe you any favors ? I've had instances where they would cover some of my rental or other riders on my policy and been able to get a free tow out of them in-leu of using the rental coverage. Could also push for Ram to help you out here, but that path might have alot more resistance ...

Thompsre08

Reaction score
How good is your insurance policy and does your agent like you or owe you any favors ? I've had instances where they would cover some of my rental or other riders on my policy and been able to get a free tow out of them in-leu of using the rental coverage. Could also push for Ram to help you out here, but that path might have alot more resistance ...
Apparently its pretty good. I have towing up to 100 miles for any reason at all. I'll try and get that setup and transferred tomorrow.

Riddick

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is the new "normal" for any services performed at dealers. You schedule an appointment which is normally 2-3 weeks out. In your case it appears they scanned the code and that's it................now you have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks to tear into the job. As you eluded to once they officially diagnose the issue it will be another 2-3 weeks before they have parts on hand. I would push back on the tow 100%, RAM should cover it..... especially if there is a nearby dealer who is willing to do the work 3 weeks earlier than your current dealer.

When I was picking up my son from school yesterday I overheard one of the moms saying she tried get her battery replaced at the dealer and they told her it would be early October before they could look at it. For routine service you should be able to have your vehicle serviced within 1-2 business days. In this day and age warranties and dealer service are lacking severely, there have been several members here perform recalls on their vehicle because the dealer service is terrible. I was working with one dealer to have some recalls fixed and for 5 weeks straight I was told I was #1 on their list and they would get me in ASAP. I called a dealer 10 minutes further out and a week later all recalls were complete on my truck. The other dealer has not called me back yet.........

I am very fortunate I am able to perform all routine maintenance on my vehicles myself. We recently bought my wife a new car and Honda does oil changes/maintenance for the first 2 years for free. I am 99% certain I will be doing it all myself, as stated above you have to schedule an oil change weeks out and then you end up sitting at the dealer for 3 hours waiting. I will gladly eat the 40 bucks and do it myself to not have to deal with the dealer circus.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is the new "normal" for any services performed at dealers. You schedule an appointment which is normally 2-3 weeks out. In your case it appears they scanned the code and that's it................now you have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks to tear into the job. As you eluded to once they officially diagnose the issue it will be another 2-3 weeks before they have parts on hand. I would push back on the tow 100%, RAM should cover it..... especially if there is a nearby dealer who is willing to do the work 3 weeks earlier than your current dealer.

When I was picking up my son from school yesterday I overheard one of the moms saying she tried get her battery replaced at the dealer and they told her it would be early October before they could look at it. For routine service you should be able to have your vehicle serviced within 1-2 business days. In this day and age warranties and dealer service are lacking severely, there have been several members here perform recalls on their vehicle because the dealer service is terrible. I was working with one dealer to have some recalls fixed and for 5 weeks straight I was told I was #1 on their list and they would get me in ASAP. I called a dealer 10 minutes further out and a week later all recalls were complete on my truck. The other dealer has not called me back yet.........

I am very fortunate I am able to perform all routine maintenance on my vehicles myself. We recently bought my wife a new car and Honda does oil changes/maintenance for the first 2 years for free. I am 99% certain I will be doing it all myself, as stated above you have to schedule an oil change weeks out and then you end up sitting at the dealer for 3 hours waiting. I will gladly eat the 40 bucks and do it myself to not have to deal with the dealer circus.
Yeah, I've done all my maintenance with this truck to keep it out of the grips of the dealers for that exact reason. The timelines have been nonsense. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this transmission issue though. Even if its a minimal snap ring (an effing $6 part in the core of the transmission) its going to require a full tear down. I guess I'm lacking the faith that this isn't going to rear its ugly head again later down the road assuming this gets resolved timely. Plus I'm at a really fun time in my life (mid 30's) where it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders for providing for my family, raising my children, being present, and not having a mid life crisis so all this crap is just icing on the cake....

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Finally got confirmation from the dealer this afternoon. Transmission is shot. The dealer officially diagnosed it as this:
“P2701 is Inadequate Element Volume 2C, which basically means the 2C clutch requires way too little fluid volume in order to apply it. Typically, this is caused by the 2C piston return spring snap ring being dislodged (so the piston stays stroked and doesn't return to its normal position when released). “

The snap ring failed and allowed the 2C piston to dislodge and apparently caused all kinds of collateral damage. They are doing a cost analysis with Ram Corporate Tomorrow to determine if I get a full rebuild or a brand new transmission. I told him to go ahead and push the tranny off the bench onto the concrete floor before he goes home tonight to get a new one ordered.

Timeline for rebuild is 2 weeks. Timeline for brand new replacement transmission is 3-5 weeks.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I hate seeing what others like you have been going through with your new trucks. I only have 8000 miles on my 2022 CTD as it’s just my tow rig. Sucks that after saving $$$ to purchase a new truck one has to always have the fear of breakdown on your mind. Wishing you a speedy repair and best of luck in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread