Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rear Fuel Filter Cover Cracked

roegs

Reaction score
Did my first fuel filter replacement the other day. I'm not even an engineer and I can think of a couple different ways RAM could have done this to avoid a diesel bath. Anyway, that's not the point of my question. When I removed the filter from the bottom cover, I noticed one of the plastic centering tabs on the cover was broken off (see photo). As mentioned, this was the first filter change and I could not find the broken piece so I'm not sure if I did it removing filter from the cap (another design that should not be so difficult) or if it was broken when originally assembled. These tabs appear to be used just for centering the filter during installation, and I can't see any downside of leaving it as is since the filter sealing surface is not impacted. Any of you see any problems running this way?

IMG_1397.JPG

flan

Reaction score
Man that’s a bummer. I think you’re right about their purpose, shouldn’t be an issue. For peace of mind I’d probably try to source a new one from the dealer under warranty if they balk then just spring for a new one.

Mikee

Reaction score
Ive seen caps made out of aluminum on Amazon if the dealership doesn't honor it cause they will probably put the blame on you,the dealership seems to do that cause they are losing the work,ive started to do my own services cause I can do it way cheaper, im in tampa FL an the dealership wants close to 600 for an oil an fuel filter change thats insane...

Mikee

Reaction score
In October I ran over a hose on the roadway and it wrapped around in the wheel well an broke the little rod for the airbag leveler an its made out of plastic went to dealership to see if it was covered under road Hazzard warranty (Nope),was going to N.C. ,When I arrived went to dealership in Blairsville G.A. 45 minutes ordered it an installation took 30 minutes i dont take truck to dealership anymore they want to much money to do what you can do yourself if you're capable of, unless its retrieve codes an then go to advance auto parts they do it for free.

roegs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking along the same line and will probably just replace the bottom cover next time I do the filters. Geno's sells OEM replacements for $47. While I wouldn't mind pursuing a replacement from RAM, I think the chances might be slim of them providing a part when they did not do the work.

Reaction score
i broke one of those tabs off in the same exact way.. I ran it broken for 10k miles with zero issues...I just replaced it on the last fuel filter change with the Geno's version.
Zero issues.

roegs

Reaction score
i broke one of those tabs off in the same exact way.. I ran it broken for 10k miles with zero issues...I just replaced it on the last fuel filter change with the Geno's version.
Zero issues.
Good news! I'll be doing the same plan.

Users who are viewing this thread