Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 ram service def system

Morgan2021

Reaction score
Question got a service def system on my 2021 ram went into count down mode took it to the dealer they plugged it in it had a knock sensor on bank 1 made an appointment for this fri driving it back home message went away and there is nothing in the stored messages and no check engine lite

KneeDeep

Reaction score
One thing I see on Mack trucks from time to time with that message is that the float level gauge in the def tank gets stuck and the tank could be empty even though the gauge shows it has fluid. I am not saying that is your problem, but it is easy enough to add def fluid if it has been awhile. I have not had that message on my 18 with 117,xxx miles yet or my 22 (knock on wood). I do not know if Rams could experience the same issue, but it’s an easy test.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Question got a service def system on my 2021 ram went into count down mode took it to the dealer they plugged it in it had a knock sensor on bank 1 made an appointment for this fri driving it back home message went away and there is nothing in the stored messages and no check engine lite

I presume you mean NOx sensor?

One thing I see on Mack trucks from time to time with that message is that the float level gauge in the def tank gets stuck and the tank could be empty even though the gauge shows it has fluid. I am not saying that is your problem, but it is easy enough to add def fluid if it has been awhile. I have not had that message on my 18 with 117,xxx miles yet or my 22 (knock on wood). I do not know if Rams could experience the same issue, but it’s an easy test.

The DEF tanks don’t use a float gauge like the fuel tank does. It’s an ultrasonic level sensor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread