Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Saint Augustine, Florida, is a location I have visited a few times and I always love to go back. It is an interesting city with much history to explore and is technically the oldest city in these United States since it was settles by the Spanish prior to the English establishing a permanent colony in Jamestown, Virginia. There are miles of beaches to drive on although you are limited mostly to one-way traffic on soft sand.
image000000(19).jpg

Beauty, grace, swiftness, and strength.
image000000(20).jpg

Near Saint Augustine is Matanzas State Forest which I spent a few days exploring.
image000000(22).jpg

There is a remote campground in the forest although it only has four spaces with a central location having non-potable water and a portable toilet. It was a quiet and peaceful location and nice for a night or two.
image000000(21).jpg

Driving inland I came upon some Texas Longhorn at the Bull's Hit Ranch and Farm in Florida's Potato Capital. It turns out this location has some interesting history.
image000000(23).jpg

Continuing westward deep into Ocala National Forest I happened upon a few other adventurers. What was interesting was that we all had Heavy Duty RAMs and pop-up campers. From L-to-R we have a late model Power Wagon with a Palomino up top, in the middle is a 2006 driven by a 5.9 liter 24-valve Cummins diesel complete with a Norweld tray bed and FWC Grandby Flatbed. And then there's my AEV Prospector.
image000000(24).jpg

Here we are camping together at a secret location near Hopkins Prairie Campground deep in the Ocala National Forest. To say we had a great time would be an understatement. Paul invited me to attend Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo which takes place 03-05 March in Starke, Florida. Adam and Heather continued south after several days and we expect to cross paths again, somewhere.
image000000(25).jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
We rolled into camp late at night just south of Lake Ocklawaha in ATV country. Things look very different at night when you have tunnel vision as a result of your headlights and depth perception is degraded at night. Because of this, the forest appeared crowded and we though we were squeezing into a tight spot. Backing up and repositioning vehicles was slow and methodical. When we woke up in the morning we laughed - it was like we were in a field with a sprinkling of trees. Too much lighting is never enough.
image000000(29).jpg

This was a fun shot on a hot and sunny day. We jumped into a freshwater spring which is approximately 74° F to cool off and clean up. It is important to keep clean while adventuring and even washing the critical components with baby wipes daily begins pushing the limits after five or so days. While taking this shot with my phone I was on my knees in slime in the water. Just minutes earlier in the same area we saw fish and a snapping turtle. Of course, there is always the though of alligators since this is a humid subtropical climate. In real life this was a beautiful scene and I really enjoyed watching this bird hunting...while possible being hunted myself.
image000000(28).jpg

The morning sun on Hopkins Prairie in the Ocala National Forest. I wish I was able to say early morning but when you travel life slows down. Yes, I wake up early although many times I fall back asleep for a quick nap. I wake up much like a fall asleep...slowly and relaxed. Nowhere to be, just taking my time to enjoy life and the wonderful world we live in. From the bottom of my heart and soul, I consider myself a blessed man to have this opportunity.
image000000(27).jpg

Here is a picture that didn't turn out as expected but I will post it anyway. Since I have time I have begun experimenting with different forms of photography. In this shot you are able to not only see the movement of the stars but also you can see how the trees moved slightly a few times and appear to be blurred also. Hey, it's a learning experience and you are along for the ride.
image000000(26).jpg

This was an interesting day. We traveled down to explore the southern part of Ocala National Forest and had previously identified two campgrounds that were listed as free and dispersed. Well, we had a really tough time locating the first since it had been abandoned around seven years ago. I actually found it and was able to drive back in. It was kinda spooky seeing all the deteriorated man-made objects and overgrown areas. The second site was much the same. We pulled into this third site and met a few locals who had been staying there for an extended period. My partner didn't feel too cool with the situation so he left and I was just tired of driving all day so I elected to stay. It was a quiet night and all went well.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." ~ Gen. James Mattis
image000000(30).jpg

While adventuring and exploring you meet many people in different places. Most of my time is spent alone although there are times when paths cross and an interesting form of friendship occurs. John Paul has been hanging around me for a week or so now and our friendship has blossomed into a sort of bromance. Hahaha, in all seriousness, it's cool to bump into cool folks show share similar thoughts on life and living. Talking with people who are 9-5 slaves is tough since they understand parts of what you are sharing with them but as smart as they are and as hard as they try, they just are not able to comprehend the full depth and clarity of what you are trying to share with them. If you are still reading this, you are being given a secret message...it is time for you to escape the matrix!
image000000(35).jpg

Here is a Power Wagon that actually benefits from King Coil-overs. The pilot of this rig has invited me to join him this November in Baja, Mexico for fun and festivities. Rule number one in overlanding - never refuse an invitation. We spent many nights around campfires sharing stories and Michael's were super cool. My schedule for this year has me in the western part of these United States so six weeks in Baja, Mexico fits in perfectly.
image000000(32).jpg

Here is my buddy John Paul from Massachusetts. Hey Pauli, go pahk the cah in Haahvahd Yahd! He is a really cool dude and I will be sharing some videos of his in the near future once he gets around to editing them.
image000000(31).jpg

Back on the private 600-acre cattle ranch with a 120-acre private lake to enjoy. It was really nice to spend the better part of a week as down time just relaxing and not worrying about where to go or what to do. just relaxing, eating t-bone steaks that were eating grass and mooing just a few days earlier. No signs of alligators in this water so being able to jump in and clean up every day was truly wonderful. In my opinion, the three most valuable experiences that add up to enjoyable overlanding are comfortable place to sleep, reliable refrigeration, and the ability to take a shower.
image000000(34).jpg

Bad news, John Paul and I broke up. He didn't send me an official break-up text but I know it over. Horsey-girl caught his eye plus she has horses, dogs, and a cat and Pauli loves cats. Just kidding - we are going different ways and exploring different areas in Florida although we are planning to meet up again soon at Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo in Starke, Florida from 03-05 March. This was a section in Tiger Bay State Forest that I explored yesterday. Heading into Daytona for the weekend looking for tickets for the Daytona 500. Already saw the Indy 500 just a few years ago so I might as well knock this one down also since I am in the area.
image000000(36).jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Let's start off this update with a beautiful picture taken by my buddy Paul, so we can end it with an ugly picture shot by yours-truly. This is an early morning sun-rise at a remote location near Hopkins Prairie a week or so ago - just a wonderful place in the middle of Ocala National Forest. Most of the forest is comprised of straight hard-pack sandy roads running north-south or east-west. There are still a few nice places so don't hesitate to stop if you are nearby.
image000000(44).jpg

Yes, I scored a ticket and made it to the 2023 Daytona 500. Here are the Air Force Thunderbirds putting on a nice show with the Goodyear blimp in the background. I arrived at the track on Saturday and began searching for tickets - my first attempt was through the DIS recommended SeatGeek but that turned out to be a no-go. At first my bank stopped payment and after they contacted me and cleared that up I called SeatGeek and attempted to work a purchase with them. No joy. After taking with a few gentlemen about tickets for Sunday's race they recommended I move close to the track, avoid the local inner-city hustlers, and ask actual fans if the had an extra ticket. As my luck would have it I happened upon a fine man who had been to every Daytona 500 over the past half-century and he had one extra ticket. I paid face value, received a hard ticket, and spent the race smiling and listening to his stories. To say I was blessed once again is an understatement.
image000000(38).jpg

Here is during the middle of the race after the sun dropped. It was almost like two different races with one set of tactics for the drivers while the sun was up and then another once it dropped. My seat was in the section 335 roughly between turn four and start-finish line. This was great since most of the action takes place in turn four just before the final dash to the line. We were also right in front of pit-in which was exciting since dozens of cars are rushing in simultaniously slamming on the brakes. Let me tell you, during the last ten laps all hell broke loose and no one was holding back. It was a fun race and a perfect time to be in Florida with approximately 175,000 other race fans.
image000000(39).jpg

After spending the weekend in Daytona I headed south into Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge just north of Kennedy Space Center. The side roads are very white and appear to be crushed oyster shells.
image000000(40).jpg

Discovered a number of nice spots near the water in Merritt Island NWR. Crossed paths with a small number of fishermen in addition to a few canoes on the water. One of these days I will add a small kayak to my rig, possibly a small folding one from Oru Kayak since they seem to be the best for my application.
image000000(41).jpg

I came upon a sign that said it was a Manatee viewing area so I pulled over and watched the sea-cows roll around and play in the water. They are funny creatures and it was fun watching the young ones cuddle their mother and such. Interestingly enough, per the Manatee Sanctuary Act, some interactions with Manatees can land you in jail and/or with a stiff fine.
image000000(43).jpg

Wow, I stumble upon some beautiful places and here is one overlooking Indian River. The steady warm breeze and the sounds of the small waves breaking convinced me to sleep here another night.
image000000(42).jpg

Left a girl in West Virginia, up there where that green grass grows, yes I did. Got a girl in Cincinnati waitin' where the Ohio River flows. Oh, girl, I'm a ramblin' man. Don't give your heart to a ramblin' man.
image000000(37).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Is that the real Chester in the last shot? One of the clues is that oyster bracelet.

You have the eyes of a horologist although meeting in person would be the only way to confirm the identity of the stud-bull in the previous picture. Hopefully many of us can cross paths at an overland event, on the trail, or at the Anchor Bar for a few pounds of hot wings. Speaking of anchors...here's a pic of the real-deal preparing for a mission in a Navy helo around thirty-three years ago:

21958_1311369392662_5905114_n.jpg

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
You have the eyes of a horologist although meeting in person would be the only way to confirm the identity of the stud-bull in the previous picture. Hopefully many of us can cross paths at an overland event, on the trail, or at the Anchor Bar for a few pounds of hot wings. Speaking of anchors...here's a pic of the real-deal preparing for a mission in a Navy helo around thirty-three years ago:

View attachment 52329
That pic reminds me of 007 readying to kick everyone’s.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Here is a picture of me sleeping on the edge of the earth following a recent Flat Earth Society meeting - just kidding! What is interesting is that the name of this lake in Florida is Dream Lake.
image000000(47).jpg

Since I was near Orlando I made it a point to stop in and visit Randall Made Knives. If you place an order today you can expect delivery sometime in 2029 - they have always had a long backlog but are entirely worth it. I own several and my late father owned 3-4 times what I have. If you still think are scratching your heading and wondering why anyone would wait over a half-decade for an expensive knive then read a bit of their history which spans multiple wars, the birth of spaceflight, hunting, fishing, etc. While on site I met both brothers and toured the home and museum. Every man deserves a great knife.
image000000(46).jpg

Some sections in the Withlacoochee State Forest were soft and sandy but all that I encountered were driveable in two-wheel drive.
image000000(48).jpg

Believe it or not I actually completed this section in two-wheel drive without spinning a wheel. Of course, there was a go-around, but I wanted to test my skills so I jumped out of the rig and performed some reconnaissance of the area. Taking a few minutes to check the conditions in the area can help mitigate risk while reducing potential impact if things go south.
image000000(49).jpg

In this instance it boiled down to picking the correct line. The channels were very soft, muddy, and slick while the high areas were drier and somewhat firm. Of course, the front or rear end could have slipped into one of these channels and with all terrain tires even four-wheel drive may not have been enough to save me. That is why I made sure there were multiple winch points easily within reach of my winch, just in case. It's fun to practice scenarios like this when you have time and options since I believe off-road skills are something that requires constant practice.
image000000(50).jpg

Free showers in the forest are always a great find especially on a hot and sunny afternoon. This bike wash also had shower heads installed so I jumped out in my swim trunks and enjoyed a cool and refreshing shower. Lots of cool water and standing on cement compared to limited water and standing on sand or dirt, win-win in my book!
image000000(51).jpg

I woke up to the sounds of shore birds squawking and fishermen launching boats here at Fort Island Beach on Florida's Gulf Coast. Do I plan on visiting again? You betcha! There is just so much to see and do but I have a few events that I am scheduled to attend plus I am just looking for a long list of reasons to visit. If you have never been down to Florida in February then you should make plans - it's a perfect time of the year.
image000000(53).jpg

While on Fort Island Beach the one afternoon, I heard the rhythmic beat of drums some distance away. Walking on the beach is good exercise so I wandered down to find a drum circle with approximately one-hundred people present and most all participating. For hours-and-hours the ensemble played and experimented with different beats and sounds. It was quite nice and relaxing watching a random group of strangers play music while children and adults danced in the center with everyone smiling. For many hours, no one cared what else was going on elsewhere...it felt good.
image000000(54).jpg

One night I pulled into Ozello Community Park after dark and I was one of three vehicles present. Early the next morning I counted nearly fifty vehicles all around - this place is a hot spot for kayaks and boats which is awesome! I performed some additional research and discovered I was right in the middle of Saint Martin's Marsh Aquatic Preserve so this is yet another reason I need to put down the money and add an Oru Kayak to my equipment list.
image000000(55).jpg

And finally, I spent a very peaceful evening near Yankeetown, Florida, on a small pond with just enough room for one vehicle. It was fun sitting in my rear door with my feet on the bumper watching small sand crabs digging holes in the sand by rolling balls of sand together and then pushing them up and out of the hole. The only sounds for hours were the soft winds and fish jumping out of the water.
image000000(56).jpg

Last edited:

b307a1

Reaction score

View attachment 52329
The Anchor bar? Sounds like you have been probing my AO.

That photo taken in 1990 has a Vietnam era feel to it with the M60 and being in black and white.

What bird were you in?

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Here is a short video that includes myself and my rig in it for you to enjoy. All credit goes to Paul who is another adventurer from Massachusetts that I met in Ocala National Forest and wheeled with off-and-on over the period of several weeks. It was really impressive to watch him plan the shoot and position his drone to collect footage. I was not able to watch him edit and compose the story although I can confirm he did all work in his camper, out in the forest, on his laptop. Very impressive results so take a look and enjoy!

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
The Anchor bar? Sounds like you have been probing my AO.

That photo taken in 1990 has a Vietnam era feel to it with the M60 and being in black and white.

What bird were you in?

Been to the Anchor several times - I love good wings. If we ever meet in person I will share with you a story related to crossing the boarder when I was still active duty. Truth is stranger than fiction!

Photo was shot with a Pentax K1000, that is what we carried for aerial reconnaissance missions. Film was always Kodak black and white so they could process immediately as soon as we returned. Funny you mention a "Vietnam feel" since those gun mounts were Vietnam era mounts. During the late 80s and early 90s, we began to transition into Combat Search and Rescue (C-SAR) and we were literally grabbing anything we could get our hands on at the time. All our SH-3H helicopters were painted up in subdued gray with low contrast markings, several were outfitted for night-vision capability, gyro-stabalized binoculars, guns were mounted (M60D & E3), crews began training in NAS Fallon, etc. After a few years we began to transition into SH-60Fs and all new gear.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
After leaving Yankeetown, Florida, I headed up to Cedar Key which is an island city. The primary reason I stopped was because the men I flew and jumped with had an informal reunion there seven-or-so years ago. Cedar Key is a quiet, out-of-the-way place, where you can really slow down and relax. One of our most poignant discussions centered around the brutal killing of Lee Mirecki during ARSS training.
image000000(59).jpg

Am I camping on the edge of the world again or was this at Horseshoe Beach in Florida? For $10 I enjoyed the company of fellow adventurers at a county campground and more importantly, I took two very long showers. It's nice to meet up and share laughs and stories with other like-minded folks.
image000000(61).jpg

Early morning at Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo in Starke, Florida. With the exceptions of being sandblasted and scorched on Friday and then soaked on Saturday, we all had a blast. There were fifty or so vendors and manufacturers, hundreds of campers, and thousands of visitors. Not as small as mid-Atlantic Overland Expo but not as large as Overland Expo East - it was really a great event at a perfect time in Florida. I will attend again for sure!
image000000(62).jpg

Here is one amazing vehicle I came upon at the event designed, built, and driven, by @nomadventures360, who you can follow on Instagram. I spent a few hours checking out the vehicle and listening to stories of why and why not. Tons of custom work and all done to perfection.
image000000(60).jpg

One of the countless springs in Florida. If I provided the name it would not matter much since they are all beautiful and crystal clear.
image000000(65).jpg

Warp speed, or 100 km/h for me, over to...Texas! More specifically, Mustang Island on the Gulf or Mexico. There is so much to love in Texas, especially driving for miles on beaches and camping overnight. The night before I slept under a full moon and once again was rocked and sung to sleep by the wind and waves.
image000000(67).jpg

During my stay on Mustang Island I enjoyed watching thousands of brown pelicans fly by while migrating north. It was wave-after-wave of dozens and sometimes hundreds. What was really cool was watching them glide, then the first would begin to flap it's wings, then the next, and the next, etc. Then turn a bit, and glide...it was silent and beautiful to watch.
image000000(64).jpg

My destination for an undetermined length of time is Boca Chica. Texas. Better known as SpaceX Starbase. In one of my previous posts I may have mentioned that a decade or so ago I worked at NASA LaRC, in Virginia. So yeah, I am a bit of a space geek, and since it's warm down here, and there are beaches, and massive rockets, count me in. BTW - that's Super Heavy Booster 7 (B7) sitting on the Orbital Launch Mount (OLM).
image000000(69).jpg

Can anyone spot Starship 15 (SN15) in this mug shot? Here is a video of a test flight for SN15. Once they stack the ship on top of a super heavy booster and launch the entire vehicle, it will be earthshaking, and I intend to stand there and watch. If you would like to watch SN8 blow up, here is an earlier video for you to enjoy.
image000000(66).jpg

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
After leaving Yankeetown, Florida, I headed up to Cedar Key which is an island city. The primary reason I stopped was because the men I flew and jumped with had an informal reunion there seven-or-so years ago. Cedar Key is a quiet, out-of-the-way place, where you can really slow down and relax. One of our most poignant discussions centered around the brutal killing of Lee Mirecki during ARSS training.
View attachment 53043

Am I camping on the edge of the world again or was this at Horseshoe Beach in Florida? For $10 I enjoyed the company of fellow adventurers at a county campground and more importantly, I took two very long showers. It's nice to meet up and share laughs and stories with other like-minded folks.
View attachment 53044

Early morning at Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo in Starke, Florida. With the exceptions of being sandblasted and scorched on Friday and then soaked on Saturday, we all had a blast. There were fifty or so vendors and manufacturers, hundreds of campers, and thousands of visitors. Not as small as mid-Atlantic Overland Expo but not as large as Overland Expo East - it was really a great event at a perfect time in Florida. I will attend again for sure!
View attachment 53045

Here is one amazing vehicle I came upon at the event designed, built, and driven, by @nomadventures360, who you can follow on Instagram. I spent a few hours checking out the vehicle and listening to stories of why and why not. Tons of custom work and all done to perfection.
View attachment 53046

One of the countless springs in Florida. If I provided the name it would not matter much since they are all beautiful and crystal clear.
View attachment 53047

Warp speed, or 100 km/h for me, over to...Texas! More specifically, Mustang Island on the Gulf or Mexico. There is so much to love in Texas, especially driving for miles on beaches and camping overnight. The night before I slept under a full moon and once again was rocked and sung to sleep by the wind and waves.
View attachment 53048

During my stay on Mustang Island I enjoyed watching thousands of brown pelicans fly by while migrating north. It was wave-after-wave of dozens and sometimes hundreds. What was really cool was watching them glide, then the first would begin to flap it's wings, then the next, and the next, etc. Then turn a bit, and glide...it was silent and beautiful to watch.
View attachment 53049

My destination for an undetermined length of time is Boca Chica. Texas. Better known as SpaceX Starbase. In one of my previous posts I may have mentioned that a decade or so ago I worked at NASA LaRC, in Virginia. So yeah, I am a bit of a space geek, and since it's warm down here, and there are beaches, and massive rockets, count me in. BTW - that's Super Heavy Booster 7 (B7) sitting on the Orbital Launch Mount (OLM).
View attachment 53050

Can anyone spot Starship 15 (SN15) in this mug shot? Here is a video of a test flight for SN15. Once they stack the ship on top of a super heavy booster and launch the entire vehicle, it will be earthshaking, and I intend to stand there and watch. If you would like to watch SN8 blow up, here is an earlier video for you to enjoy.
View attachment 53051
Nice pics and story as always.

I was on that beach with my Ram not long after SN8 and just a few days before SN9 had its “unplanned thermal event”.

1678428431154.jpeg
Took this shot at the south end, looking at Mexico. You could have walked almost all the way across at low tide. Great beach, but I think my favorite will always be PINS. It’s hard to beat 60+ miles of driveable beach.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Recently I decided to pursue an intermediate solution related to charging my house battery during extended stays of 2-3 or more days at a location. My travels have been slowing down and instead of remaining at a location for 1-2 days now I am gradually slowing the process down and sometimes remaining longer. This places a heavy burden on my OEM Four Wheel Camper 12V house battery which is due to be replaced when I have the opportunity. If I drive every day or two, my DC-DC charger normally helps but consider that I am often traveling shorter distances now. In short, I am losing on both ends of the equation - I am traveling less and remaining longer.

This Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase looks like a great temporary solution. I still plan to install solar panels on my roof along with a Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 battery. I have a Battleborn 100 Ah at home in my Jeep so that may be an option. One wonderful fact is when you are able to angle the solar cells to face the sun the absorption rate increases so 200 watts perpendicular to the suns rays will beat 200 watts parallel with the earth's surface. I also purchased a forty foot extension so I am able to place the solar panel away from the vehicle. Consider the vehicle in the shade with the panels several feet away in direct sunlight. We shall see how this works.

And finally, the fact that the solar suitcase was on sale at $100 off the normal price, I also qualified for an additional 5% discount, and shipping was free. This was an easy decision.

Renogy 01.jpg

Renogy 02.jpg

Renogy 03.jpg

Renogy 04.jpg

Renogy 05.jpg

Renogy 06.jpg

Renogy 07.jpg

Renogy 08.jpg

Renogy 09.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Life is slowing down significantly as we all are waiting for SpaceX Starship to launch. Here is Super Heavy Booster 7 sitting on the Orbital Launch Mount - this time at night. No ship was stacked up top and the next morning B7 was pulled from the OLM. Over the past two days there has been additional work taking place on the OLM in preparation for launch.
image000000(70).jpg

Here is my Snow Peak Trek 1400 titanium cookset that I have been using for ten plus years. This is additional gear purchased for backpacking long ago that still works just fine. If I was purchasing new gear I would not limit myself to titanium although for backpacking; ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.
image000000(73).jpg

Exploring miles of beach in Texas has been fun - this day I was exploring Brazos Island. Just in case you are interested, the last battle of the War of Northern Aggression took place here one month after Lee surrendered to Grant in Appomattox.
image000000(76).jpg

Here is where I found myself in an interesting situation on Clark Island near South Bay Pass. While approaching this area I noticed only a few tracks crossing with some of the tracks looking like they were in soft places. I exited my vehicle and walked out to inspect and discovered the top few inches were very soft in areas. One of these days we can enjoy a lengthy discussion on ground pressure, what you can learn by walking versus driving, etc. I will summarize right now and let you know that if you "walk on your heels" you can approximate how much a tire will deform the soil if it is at a normal street pressure. In this case, I decided I was not going to risk becoming stuck while by myself in a large open area that was soft and adjacent to the water.
image000000(75).jpg

My solar panels arrived and I immediately unboxed them, read the instructions, and put them to work. I was parked on the side of the road here for a few days talking with other adventurers who were here to witness the launch. Some had relocated to the area and have been visiting daily for that past few years.
image000000(77).jpg

Here is a shot back on the beach where I have been camping most frequently. Having these solar panels has taken my relaxation to the next level. Previous to this, it seems that when I stopped for a few days my house battery was on life-support. The fact that I am now driving shorter distances and staying longer means I was losing on both ends of the equation regarding using my alternator and DC-to-DC battery link to charge my house battery. Now I am producing excess power daily and my house battery is very happy.
image000000(79).jpg

Here are some fellow space-geeks hanging out a few evenings ago. We had a nice big fire and many long and interesting conversations. A close friend commented on this picture and though it was quite interesting that in the foreground we have a band of dirty humans huddled around a fire similar to what has been going on for countless years. Then in the background we have some of the latest technology that is being designed to assist humanity in occupying other planets, and it is illuminated by man-made light.
image000000(78).jpg

Here is the lower belly of S20 in the rocket garden. All the tiles you see are PICA-X material.
image000000(72).jpg

This is a common site during the evening here on the US/Mexico boarder - we have had some beautiful sunsets. Note also that B7 is clear of the OLM and chopsticks on Mechazilla. Rumor has it that SpaceX are targeting 20 March for this first orbital launch. I suspect B7 will be paired with S24 and it will be one heck of a show. Elon Musk says, ""I think it's got, I don't know, hopefully about a 50% chance of reaching orbit...but I am guaranteeing excitement."
image000000(71).jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
This is what happens when you fail to read the tide charts and fall asleep in a 2WD rental vehicle. He spun the tires the day before and recognized he was just digging himself in deeper so he continued to enjoy his time on the beach and spent another night.
image000000(82).jpg

The extraction was brutal and I walked away from it. Another guy with a 3500 diesel dually offered to help prior to my arrival so I sat back and enjoyed the show. Since there were now tow hooks up front and the rear of the truck was only a few feet from the dunes the diesel dually had to pull from the side. I stepped in and suggested we anchor my snatch block to the rear of the 3500 with a short winch extension strap and I could slowly and safely reel in my winch from the opposing side thus pulling the stuck truck straight back. My offer was refused and the diesel dually hooked a horrible looking strap to the rear hitch assembly and began tugging really hard at an oblique angle from the rear quarter of the truck. Of course the diesel dually hooked his side of the strap to the ball on the rear and then spun around to wrap the strap around the bumper of his rig. Atone point the opposing side of the truck was jerked with the wheels about a foot or so off the ground. Not very safe. Not very professional.
image000000(81).jpg

My forty foot solar extension cables arrived and I sure am glad I opted for the forty foot 10 AWG ones. I crunched the numbers and voltage loss is right at 3% which is acceptable and now I have a huge amount of flexibility with regards to where I place the panels in relation to the vehicle.
image000000(84).jpg

Did I mention that I have noticed some sand building up on the floor of my camper while spending time on the beach? It has gotten to the point that I only clean out the sand at the end of each day prior to going to bed. It's not that big if a deal but when you are entering a vehicle directly from the beach two or three dozen times per windy day...sand happens.
image000000(85).jpg

These guys and their vehicles were totally cool. Their club publishes photographs on Instagram under #clubjimnymty and they are based out of Monterrey, Mexico. They had a dozen third generation Suzuki Samurais and invited me to wheel with them in Mexico when I am in the area next year. If you have never wheeled an ultra-light vehicle you would be amazed at just how capable they are.
image000000(88).jpg

Here is another vehicle in the group decked out with a roof-top tent, awning, snorkel, rock rails, winch, etc. Again, a really great group of adventurers and I do plan on taking them up on their offer to wheel in Mexico.
image000000(87).jpg

This is one of the few pictures I have of me on South Padre Island during Spring Break 2023 - the other pictures would likely get me in trouble with forum administration. We discussed wind, how about three days straight of 20-25 MPH winds while being sandblasted the entire time? To put this picture into perspective, the lighter sand is flowing over the ground in waves - this is what it was like the entire time and I had fun. Pointing the nose into the wind was a huge benefit and if you move forward of my truck around twenty meters, the road ends.
image000000(86).jpg

Driving along the wall. I took this picture originally as a sort of joke to share with some friends but ultimately decided this is not an issue to joke about. One close friend of mine stated I should shoot anyone I see coming over and I replied to him that paradoxically, I would be shooting myself. The Democrats want the votes, Republicans want the cheap labor, the Mexicans simply wish for a better life. I am not sure what the correct answer is but I do know that this is where ethics, morality, history, nationality, and religion all collide. I know one thing for sure - if I were a young man with a family and all that stood between me significantly improving their lives was some goofy laws written by men wearing funny robes, and a few hundred miles with a wall in the middle...I would risk my life without blinking an eye.
image000000(89).jpg

The launch date for Starship has been pushed back approximately one month so here is one last night on Boca Chica Beach watching work being performed on the SpaceX Orbital Launch Mount. Targeted date for the first launch attempt is April 20th so there is still time for you to make arrangements to drive down and witness history.
image000000(83).jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I always keep 2x 2” receiver shackle adapters in my truck with the 2.5-2” reducer because most vehicles have 2” receivers and i can still use it with my truck if needed. A snatch strap is perfect for this type of scenario making recovery easy even if you had a smaller vehicle than the stuck vehicle.

I hate how these new 2wd vehicles have zero recovery points and usually big air dams in the front as well making hook up difficult. Soft shackles are helpful when being creative with attachment points.

Users who are viewing this thread