Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 3500 Returns Gets More Torque & Best-In-Class Towing Numbers:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

2021 Ram 3500 Returns Gets More Torque & Best-In-Class Towing Numbers:​

Cummins High-Out I-6 Has Even More Torque...​

1606886782965.png

20Limited3500

Reaction score
2 things from that article would be nice to have updated in my 2020. The extra 75 ftlb and the digital rearview mirror. That would be cool. But I am sure that is just pipe dream.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm happy to see Ram at the top of the heap, but this is getting very silly. How about focusing efforts on where the 95% of their customers live with their trucks? I want better MPG towing normal loads, not more power for towing loads that are best towed by a semi anyway.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
It would be nice to actually hit those fancy numbers in a truck other than a 4x2 single cab tradesman.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
You also have to use a gooseneck to get those numbers also. We have a few here who have found that out after the fact.

Options add weight and take away from the available ability.

All trims have the Same GCWR...so they all can move the same total weight...just with crew cabs and luxury some of that total weight is the truck

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Not mentioned in the press release, but the website says the HO got bumped to 430 HP: https://www.ramtrucks.com/2021/ram-3500/capability.html

Shame there appear to be no updates for the SO.

I am sure the SO is at about the operating range of the transmission and transfercase.

In the 2500 it has no benefit to the manufacturer to give it more power as it is not going to raise any capacities.

In the 3500...you just go to the HO.

The best way to describe this is to look at the 4th Gen. The Manual limited the Cummins to 660lb ft of torque. The auto got the 800 and to get the 850 you had to get the Aisin

Now the G56 is gone and to get the 1075 requires both the Aisin and the new transfercase.

Those weigh alot...and just will not find there way into the 2500.

I would suspect the SO is maxed out in the 2500 platform. It may get a boost in the 3500...but doesnt make any financial sense to the company.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
You also have to use a gooseneck to get those numbers also. We have a few here who have found that out after the fact.

Options add weight and take away from the available ability.

All trims have the Same GCWR...so they all can move the same total weight...just with crew cabs and luxury some of that total weight is the truck
Unfortunately it appears they only increased GCWR on the 2wd reg cab 8' bed trucks to 45k. Other configurations stay at 43K max. Not that it is a huge deal. I think Ram already had about the highest ratings for a 4x4 crew cab configuration. Maybe they'll bring 45k across more configurations soon.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I made an assumption. Guess I shouldn't have. But the thought is correct for anyone considering a 2019 or 20.

I do not look at other brands...but I was curious if the other RAM configurations were already ahead of the others.

RAM had said they were done chasing the King of titles. Guess they wanted one more.

At some point it has to stop. Curious as to when that will be. But for now...it makes for a good time.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
I have been waiting and waiting for this time to come. I thought the news was going to be a new transmission but the added HP to 430 and TQ to 1075 makes me smile helplessly. Especially as these are with all that junk emissions systems sending the poop back into the mouth of the engine. Once unleashed to even a stock optimized form.. oh boy. I did read that they updated the AISIN and specifically mentioned smooth out shifts (driveability) and further enhance durability. This has pushed me over the edge and I am making the plunge and getting my AEV build started once the 2021 comes to Canada and has a rebate of decent value attached to it! We have to realize that now that Allison is no longer building the transmissions for GM and the Allison folks even being leaked saying it is not a real Allison (the 10 speed). We have the most capable and heavy duty transmissions in the AISIN now. Ram you have made me literally laugh out loud reading this and smile uncontrollably. Thank you and I cannot wait to be knee deep into my 2021 black edition HO build. Now just to decide what color exterior goes best with my AEV parts... :p

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have been waiting and waiting for this time to come. I thought the news was going to be a new transmission but the added HP to 430 and TQ to 1075 makes me smile helplessly. Especially as these are with all that junk emissions systems sending the poop back into the mouth of the engine. Once unleashed to even a stock optimized form.. oh boy. I did read that they updated the AISIN and specifically mentioned smooth out shifts (driveability) and further enhance durability. This has pushed me over the edge and I am making the plunge and getting my AEV build started once the 2021 comes to Canada and has a rebate of decent value attached to it! We have to realize that now that Allison is no longer building the transmissions for GM and the Allison folks even being leaked saying it is not a real Allison (the 10 speed). We have the most capable and heavy duty transmissions in the AISIN now. Ram you have made me literally laugh out loud reading this and smile uncontrollably. Thank you and I cannot wait to be knee deep into my 2021 black edition HO build. Now just to decide what color exterior goes best with my AEV parts... :p
Just ordered mine today. In Ontario. 2021 Longhorn Crew cab dually with all the stuff to tow heavy. HO/Aisin, safety group, max tow group, towing tech group, lots of cameras. Granite. Now the wait begins.

Azzurri

Reaction score
I'll be in the market for a new truck come late summer early fall.

I'm hoping for the 2022 models RAM offers a 10 or 8 speed AISN Transmissions for the HO Diesel.

Jfrano

Reaction score
I'll be in the market for a new truck come late summer early fall.

I'm hoping for the 2022 models RAM offers a 10 or 8 speed AISN Transmissions for the HO Diesel.
Yeah, big sellers market right now . Called a few dealers who just didn’t seem aggressively pursuing the sale. Looking back to the posts from 2019 can see that much better deals were had then on the 2500. I assume as the pandemic easies, so will some of the market dislocations that created this sellers market. I can wait. Hopefully the 2022 will come earlier than the fall/winter. There are suppose to be some significant changes ; next gen Uconnect 5, more advanced driver assist, new Allison transmission.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Yeah, big sellers market right now . Called a few dealers who just didn’t seem aggressively pursuing the sale. Looking back to the posts from 2019 can see that much better deals were had then on the 2500. I assume as the pandemic easies, so will some of the market dislocations that created this sellers market. I can wait. Hopefully the 2022 will come earlier than the fall/winter. There are suppose to be some significant changes ; next gen Uconnect 5, more advanced driver assist, new Allison transmission.

You're telling me. I bought a 2020 F250 6.7l Platinum Tremor back in January, MSRP was 85k, bought it for 74k and only put 5k on it since I have another truck I daily for work.

I'm was actually looking for what it goes for on the used market and I was amazed that I can trade it it for about 4k less than what I bought it for and probably get the same amount or more if I sold it privately.

Jfrano

Reaction score
I had a contract on a order New 2020 Laramie in December 2019. MSRP 77,750, in writing contract price $63,750; + any Manufacture incentives, coupons at time Of delivery.
Truck wasn’t delivered to dealer until April. At that point with the pandemic there were way way to Many uncertanties, had to pass ... you can’t touch that pricing now!

R.J.

Reaction score
Are there any other mechanical changes aside from the CP3 pump?

Users who are viewing this thread