Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 2500 Differential Question

Mr_Maverick

Reaction score
What’s up guys, I’m new here with a question about my Ram and I’m hoping for some of your wisdom.

I noticed a really loud clunking happening near the rear driver’s side wheel yesterday. It occurs when I accelerate, decelerate, and while making turns. The best description I can give is it sounds like a baseball size rock was rolling around beneath the bed of the truck clanking into things.

Upon inspection, I noticed a leak near the left side of the differential. I opened the diff cover, and while some oil came out, it was definitely lower than it should be. My plan was to replace the gasket, fill it back up and see if there’s any change. Unfortunately I have to wait for the gasket so in the meantime I’m educating myself on possibilities.

I’m not a mechanic and to be honest I don’t have much knowledge on this issue or what could be causing the loud clunking, so go easy on me. I’ve included some photos and I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can take a peak.

My questions are: Does this appear to be a leak from the diff cover? If so, could low oil in the diff be causing the clunking? Also, I was headed home from a road trip and drove it this way for about an hour, did I screw things up even worse? Again, forgive my ignorance, I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    692.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 22

flan

Reaction score
Things look pretty good in there. I believe you would see a bunch of metal on the fill plug, If they are still metallic. As far as that leak area those are known to leak in the past. Clean it up, refill and observe. Dealers will probably want to replace the entire axle if it’s under warranty, that plug is how the axle tube is attached to the pumpkin. A crappy weld will let oil past. If you’re not under warranty a welder can fix it up right to keep it from leaking.
As far as the clunk it’s tough to diagnose over the net, but I don’t think you’re on the right track as far as the differential goes, it looks pretty normal as far as wear goes.

Mr_Maverick

Reaction score
Things look pretty good in there. I believe you would see a bunch of metal on the fill plug, If they are still metallic. As far as that leak area those are known to leak in the past. Clean it up, refill and observe. Dealers will probably want to replace the entire axle if it’s under warranty, that plug is how the axle tube is attached to the pumpkin. A crappy weld will let oil past. If you’re not under warranty a welder can fix it up right to keep it from leaking.
As far as the clunk it’s tough to diagnose over the net, but I don’t think you’re on the right track as far as the differential goes, it looks pretty normal as far as wear goes.
Thanks so much for the thorough and thoughtful response, I really appreciate the insight! Good to know on the leak, I’ll have a better idea on that once I can button it back up.

Could the clunking have something to do with the 4x4? I switched to 4-high briefly on a dirt road shortly before the clunking began. It seems to switch between 4-high, 4-low, and 2wd without issue and the noise is now persistent regardless of which one is selected.

At first I thought it was my suspension but I can’t seem to get the clunk to happen by bouncing on it or moving it side to side. Unfortunately the dodge dealer in my neck of the woods has a horrible reputation so I’m trying to avoid taking it in, at least until I’m more educated.

flan

Reaction score
Clunks are tough diagnosis in person as you have found, even more so from my couch who knows how far away haha! Clunks have been reported in the past anything from cab mounts, broken front shock mounts, track bar bushings, even a loose item that was under the seat rolling around that sounded like drivetrain to one poster.

Users who are viewing this thread