Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 2500 Diesel Shock Torque Specs

PMJohns

Reaction score
I need the front and rear torque specs for the shocks on a 2021 RAM 2500 with the Cummins 6.7. I ordered the USB tech manual from Tech Authority for a 2020 and they sent me a plastic card about the size of a business card - not sure what to plug it into. Anyway, if someone has the specs for my 2021 diesel 2500 it would be greatly appreciated.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I need the front and rear torque specs for the shocks on a 2021 RAM 2500 with the Cummins 6.7. I ordered the USB tech manual from Tech Authority for a 2020 and they sent me a plastic card about the size of a business card - not sure what to plug it into. Anyway, if someone has the specs for my 2021 diesel 2500 it would be greatly appreciated.
Just hit it with an impact or snug with a long ratchet the bushings have a steel sleeve you cant over tighten them… The top bolts just go till the rubbers are compressed…

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
100 ft lbs. for the Lower Shock Bolts F&R. Snug up the Nylock nut on the Shaft an tighten 2 Full Rotations. Check out this.

Attachments

• Thuren_Fabrication_Shock_Torque_Warning.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 46

PMJohns

Reaction score
Just hit it with an impact or snug with a long ratchet the bushings have a steel sleeve you cant over tighten them… The top bolts just go till the rubbers are compressed…
What size impact wrench, my 1/2” drive turned to its highest setting, maybe my 3/4” drive breaker bar. I may not damage the bushing but I can strip the nut/bolt.

PMJohns

Reaction score
100 ft lbs. for the Lower Shock Bolts F&R. Snug up the Nylock nut on the Shaft an tighten 2 Full Rotations. Check out this.
I did get the 2020 service manual usb card to unfold and plug in. The front shock lower bolt is 35 ft-lbs plus 105 degrees. The rear shock lower bolt is a straight 133 ft-lbs. The Bilstein B4600’s have their own torque spec for the upper nuts.

Thank you for your response.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What size impact wrench, my 1/2” drive turned to its highest setting, maybe my 3/4” drive breaker bar. I may not damage the bushing but I can strip the nut/bolt.
A little common sense goes a long way….
You will never see a mechanic grab a tq wrench for shocks just saying…
and no one said to run it in with the impact full power…

PMJohns

Reaction score
A little common sense goes a long way….
You will never see a mechanic grab a tq wrench for shocks just saying…
and no one said to run it in with the impact full power…
Actually, I rarely see “mechanics” ever use a torque wrench. I also have had a “mechanic” use an impact wrench to remove the EGR cooler on my 2011 - ops, it was set to tighten not remove and he sheared off the bolt on the exhaust manifold which the dealership charged me to replace.

I never used a torque wrench on my 1952 Dodge pickup (flathead 6 with quarter panels). On the other hand, when I began working in a Ferrari shop we used torque wrenches for virtually everything (maybe not for tuning 6 dual throated Webers).

Something to think about, why would RAM set a spec of 37 ft-lbs with 105 degrees on yhe lower front bolt if it was not important? Torque plus degrees is far more accurate then just plain torque when using rusted nuts and bolts. They do not use the degree spec for the rear lower bolt.

A mechanic being paid hourly to repair vehicles may be able to get away with not using a torque wrench because his sense of feel has been polished by years of experience. For those of us that do not work on vehicles all the time, we are much better off picking up that torque wrench.

Riddick

Reaction score
Bolts are German spec and are torqued to Gud-n-tite! As mentioned above a few ugga duggas and check it with a breaker bar to make sure its good. As for the top nut, I usually go by the top bushing and as soon as its compressed passed the washer I stop.

2500ltd

Reaction score
I did get the 2020 service manual usb card to unfold and plug in. The front shock lower bolt is 35 ft-lbs plus 105 degrees. The rear shock lower bolt is a straight 133 ft-lbs. The Bilstein B4600’s have their own torque spec for the upper nuts.

Thank you for your response.
Isn’t it odd that the difference is that big for front and rear?

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
. For those of us that do not work on vehicles all the time, we are much better off picking up that torque wrench.
I think torque specs appeal to people who love things to be systematic and defined. There’s nothing wrong with that and there are certainly places where that’s absolutely mandatory, engines for example.

But the reality is that the probably have to establish some spec purely for liability purposes at this point.

For some applications, it’s just not a critical range, ie a shock tower bolt. Too loose and it would vibrate off, too tight and you’ll ruin the bushing, it’s that simple.

I’m with you, I always look up the torque spec if I can find it. Especially after I busted off a brake line banjo bolt one time right before bleeding.

But sometimes it doesn’t matter.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
OP all answers are correct. It’s hard to f up shock bolts. If you’re asking about shock bolt torque on here we all assume you’re a noob under a truck. We didn’t mean any offense we were trying to help.

Most DIY’ers on here use these torque specs.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0693.jpeg

2500ltd

Reaction score
Newbie question. What’s the difference between shock mounting nuts and shock mounting bolts? I’m installing Bilsteins this weekend…

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Newbie question. What’s the difference between shock mounting nuts and shock mounting bolts? I’m installing Bilsteins this weekend…
Bolts go through the bottom eyelet of the shock.

Nuts are for the top stem of the shock

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I get that. I was asking about the two types of nuts in the list above. One says stem nut and the other mounting nut.
I answered that.

One is a stem and one is an eyelet that’s why they’re different torques. I also specified top and bottom for you. Will make sense when you look at the shock

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
lol

Yes, I know that much.

The specs above show two types of nuts for the shocks, tower and stem. I was asking about those two. What’s the difference between the two. To install Bilstein shocks on a 2021 2500, I assume I’m going for the stem nut spec, which is simply to tighten and then turn twice?
Look at your shocks on you truck and you’ll see you have eyelets with bolts at the bottom and stems with nuts at the top. Ignore torque specs that don’t apply to your task.

Users who are viewing this thread