Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Prospector XL and AEV Shop Tour

Desertfox73

Reaction score
I ordered my Prospector XL in February, and 7 months later I took delivery. Aside from the numerous delays in manufacturing/sourcing parts, the final delay was the inability to find transport from AEV's shop in Wixom, Michigan. So I finally just decided to fly up there and drive it back myself (550 miles). I had a great time touring their shop and walking through their parts distribution space, and Andrew from the sales team couldn't have been more accommodating, spending almost two hours with me to show me their space and help me with a couple additional parts.

AEV hasn't been immune to some of the parts sourcing cluster that has plagued virtually every auto manufacturer; earlier this summer they were supposed to receive 600 tires but only had 16 arrive. Not wanting that issue to hold up all of their conversions, they went ahead with everything else and will do the wheels/tires when they arrive.

Photos below from my visit/tour, my favorite is the AEV Prospector on stock wheels and tires. Looks like a weightlifter missed several leg days!

Attachments

• IMG_3977.jpeg
    IMG_3977.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3978.jpeg
    IMG_3978.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3985.jpeg
    IMG_3985.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3980.jpeg
    IMG_3980.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3987.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 188

thrust

Reaction score
Congrats on the PXL! Great trucks. Love mine.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
I can’t stop looking at the prospector with stock wheels and tires. It looks so strange and the more I look at it the more bizarre it is. I would like to see it driving down the road.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
@desertfox I’d love to swing through and check that thing in person the next time I go to my buddy’s house in Kingston!! Amazing!! Simply beautiful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jupp0r

Reaction score
I'd be somewhat reluctant to run 40s without a regear.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
I'd be somewhat reluctant to run 40s without a regear.
If I was building the setup on my own, I would probably be concerned as well. But, I trust AEV - their R&D is painstaking on virtually everything before it's released. Hell, it took them two years to release lights and new shocks, and they still haven't released their snorkel because they're still getting the design/engineering dialed in.

jupp0r

Reaction score
If I was building the setup on my own, I would probably be concerned as well. But, I trust AEV - their R&D is painstaking on virtually everything before it's released. Hell, it took them two years to release lights and new shocks, and they still haven't released their snorkel because they're still getting the design/engineering dialed in.
I mean I'm running 37s on 4.10s with the ZF8 and I can tell it's not great for the transmission. I'm waiting for gears to be available to go to 5.13s minimum. Not sure how AEV engineers will make me happy with 40s without a regear.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I mean I'm running 37s on 4.10s with the ZF8 and I can tell it's not great for the transmission. I'm waiting for gears to be available to go to 5.13s minimum. Not sure how AEV engineers will make me happy with 40s without a regear.
I don't know if OP has a Cummins or Hemi but that matters for discussing gearing. The cummins has a much broader working RPM range than the HEMI, so it's far less affected to tire size changes than a gasser.

I do agree that in the fullness of time you'd want to upgrade the gearing, but I'm just calling out that it's not gonna be as bad as one would think, both in performance and mechanical harm to the engine/trans. I do agree though that AEV isn't doing anything special here, the engine is just working it's magic is all.

The biggest problem with changing gears, to my knowledge nobody offers them yet. Unsure the change from the 2018 models but Nitro and Yukon both don't have anything listed on their website that would fit our 19+ trucks.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
I don't know if OP has a Cummins or Hemi but that matters for discussing gearing. The cummins has a much broader working RPM range than the HEMI, so it's far less affected to tire size changes than a gasser.

I do agree that in the fullness of time you'd want to upgrade the gearing, but I'm just calling out that it's not gonna be as bad as one would think, both in performance and mechanical harm to the engine/trans. I do agree though that AEV isn't doing anything special here, the engine is just working it's magic is all.

The biggest problem with changing gears, to my knowledge nobody offers them yet. Unsure the change from the 2018 models but Nitro and Yukon both don't have anything listed on their website that would fit our 19+ trucks.
Yep - it’s the 6.7 Cummins. And granted I haven’t driven it for too long, but it has no issue accelerating or cruising at all. It never searches for gears, it’s an incredibly smooth truck - the 550 miles I drove back from AEV to Nashville was one of the most pleasant drives I’ve had in a while. This engine has incredible torque when passing on a hill…rarely needs to downshift unless I stomp on it.

I don’t have any intention of towing with it either, so that will help with longevity.

Now the Jeep I had with 4.10s while running 38” tires was a whole other issue, lol. But that thing was also crazy underpowered.

jupp0r

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the tire size in your trucks computer? The reason I am asking is because many Power Wagon owners are running 37s with 4.10 gearing behind a 6.4L Hemi and most all are satisfied with the performance. Currently, the best gears AAM has are 4.44s which are not a big enough jump from 4.10s for me. I plan to go with 4.89 or 5.13 gears once they become available.

AEV will not build a PXL on 40s right now if you have the 6.4L Hemi and stock gears.

Yeah I adjusted the tire size in the computer. Performance is ok, but I have to limit gears on steep hills (offroad in 4L) or the transmission will pick unsuitable gears (mostly 3rd when it should be 2nd or 1st). On the freeway it rarely goes into 8th gear when loaded. It’s generally not horrible but I bet 5.13s would be so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread