Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Power Wagon hawse fairlead

SA58

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the hook that comes with the stock hawse fairlead? I have searched and have not been able to find any information regarding the hook removal. I will be using a Factor55 and don’t need the hook. Thanks.

Wobly

Reaction score
Other people have removed it and said that the bolt is very, very tight. A good breaker bar was necessary.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

el_barto

Reaction score
The hook is just connected to the thimble with just a pin with a cotter pin .

or are you asking about the hook retention tab(s) on the fairlead itself? I think it’s cast in to the fairlead

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Probably gotta swap fairleads, but I bet somebody would buy the factory one. That hook stay is sweet

SA58

Reaction score
The hook is just connected to the thimble with just a pin with a cotter pin .

or are you asking about the hook retention tab(s) on the fairlead itself? I think it’s cast in to the fairlead
I am referring to the retention hook on the fairlead. It Appears to be modular. some older pictures show them on both sides and on the 2021 PW it is on the drivers side.

SA58

Reaction score
Other people have removed it and said that the bolt is very, very tight. A good breaker bar was necessary.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I am going to remove it and see if the retention hook is modular, after I find out the torque specs to put it back on. I will post my findings. Thanks.

el_barto

Reaction score
I am referring to the retention hook on the fairlead. It Appears to be modular. some older pictures show them on both sides and on the 2021 PW it is on the drivers side.
They changed it mid 2019. The early build ones have the tabs on both sides, but my late build 2019 only has one.
I’m 99% certain it’s cast into the fairlead not modular.

SA58

Reaction score
They changed it mid 2019. The early build ones have the tabs on both sides, but my late build 2019 only has one.
I’m 99% certain it’s cast into the fairlead not modular.
You are 100% correct. it is not modular. Here is a picture from the back. Looks like I will be getting a new one. Message me if anyone wants the stock fairlead. Thanks.
1624471957682.png

SA58

Reaction score
So here is what I have discovered. The stock fairlead is an odd size. The bolt holes are the standard 10" apart but the outside dimensions are considerably larger than an aftermarket fairlead. That would not be a big deal except the bumper plastic backstop is designed to match the stock fairlead dimensions. Changing to an aftermarket would leave the plastic outline of the OEM fairlead exposed. I think this would look odd so I think I will leave it as is and just not used the retention hook. Thanks for your comments.

el_barto

Reaction score
I might switch to a roller fairlead, they are usually larger than hawse fairleads so I don’t think the plastic thing will really be visible .

my issue with the factory hawse is the finish on it is pretty abrasive.

SA58

Reaction score
Agree the OEM hawse appears to be rough. I have not used it yet but it looks like it would be hard on the synthetic rope.

I am not an expert, but, I don’t think a synthetic rope can be used with a roller fairlead. Something to do with the rope getting caught in the corners during a side pull.

Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
Agree the OEM hawse appears to be rough. I have not used it yet but it looks like it would be hard on the synthetic rope.

I am not an expert, but, I don’t think a synthetic rope can be used with a roller fairlead. Something to do with the rope getting caught in the corners during a side pull.
Not really an issue as long as the fairlead rollers don’t have a ton on play. It is important however to not use a roller fairlead that was previously used on a steel wire as it may have burrs.

Roller fairleads are actually better for synthetic rope since they roll, there is less heat buildup/friction. Hawse are more popular though because they are lower profile and look snazzier.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Roller fairleads are ass. There is a reason nobody uses them anymore.

Hawse fairlead is better regardless of synthetic rope or steel cable.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Explain why you think hawse is better, please
I don’t think it’s better. I know it’s better.

Rollers quit rolling, they break, they drag, They pinch. They stick out farther so they’re more likely to get hit on something to make any of the above happen faster.

Nothing can go wrong with a hawse fairlead

el_barto

Reaction score
But if a roller stops rolling... it’s basically the same as a hawse.

Users who are viewing this thread