Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 HO SRW Limited Air Assist Sway?

JPNHigh

Reaction score
I have a 20 my 3500 srw with air assist and i have noticed none of this behavior. Over 5000 miles towing a fifth wheel and probably as much towing a fairly heavy boat.
Truck ride is firm and very similar to my old 2500 cc 13 only a touch smoother.
Glad to hear. Not many on other lots right now to drive so glad to hear others are solid.

JPNHigh

Reaction score
Advice? Picked up the 3500 today from the dealership. Tech replaced the compressor pump due to it "just clicking" when they tried to engage it. Also stated that it looked like the rear was lower than it should be sitting. So, got it out on the open road and it still sways and feels horrible. Rear end wants to keep going on the slightest change of the steering wheel. Just when switching lanes you feel uneasy.... Final is that its a characteristic of the truck.

A couple days ago I took home a 2019 2500 tradesman 6.4 hemi and hauled a skid and jeep and performed flawlessly with 13k miles on the clock. I get a benefit of taking home a different vehicle everyday as a perk to my job so I have driven a lot and nothing has ever felt like this.

Today I found a couple Limited 3500 air assist mega cabs within 150 miles but when I called to verify they were all sold units. Intention was to go find the same truck to compare but no luck. Inventory is light for sure. I drove a 3500 HO crew cab long bed without the air and it was flawless with no signs of what I am experiencing. Any thoughts on how to proceed? I don't want to order another one at this point because if this is characteristic then I can't use it for what I bought it for. Crazy. Help appreciated.

BikePilot

Reaction score
You might try confirming toe is correct for the rear wheels. A couple minutes with a tape measure should suffice to confirm it’s not way off. Toe out on the rear could have an odd impact like that.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Advice? Picked up the 3500 today from the dealership. Tech replaced the compressor pump due to it "just clicking" when they tried to engage it. Also stated that it looked like the rear was lower than it should be sitting. So, got it out on the open road and it still sways and feels horrible. Rear end wants to keep going on the slightest change of the steering wheel. Just when switching lanes you feel uneasy.... Final is that its a characteristic of the truck.

A couple days ago I took home a 2019 2500 tradesman 6.4 hemi and hauled a skid and jeep and performed flawlessly with 13k miles on the clock. I get a benefit of taking home a different vehicle everyday as a perk to my job so I have driven a lot and nothing has ever felt like this.

Today I found a couple Limited 3500 air assist mega cabs within 150 miles but when I called to verify they were all sold units. Intention was to go find the same truck to compare but no luck. Inventory is light for sure. I drove a 3500 HO crew cab long bed without the air and it was flawless with no signs of what I am experiencing. Any thoughts on how to proceed? I don't want to order another one at this point because if this is characteristic then I can't use it for what I bought it for. Crazy. Help appreciated.
Where are you located? If you're lucky maybe an owner is near your location with an air assit truck that could help make comparisons between the two trucks.

JPNHigh

Reaction score
You might try confirming toe is correct for the rear wheels. A couple minutes with a tape measure should suffice to confirm it’s not way off. Toe out on the rear could have an odd impact like that.
Rear toe checked out via computer alignment scan. Will try and go old skool and hand check this weekend.

JPNHigh

Reaction score
Where are you located? If you're lucky maybe an owner is near your location with an air assit truck that could help make comparisons between the two trucks.
That's a great idea! I am in Leesburg Virginia 20175. Willing to pay some Diesel for a 7 min test drive. I'll drive to whomever as long as it's not cross country :). Intention is order another one but would love to drive one that does not do what mine does to ensure before ordering.

2021 HO 3500 Limited
Mega Cab
Air Assist
SRW

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Have you verified air isnt being pushed into the other bag as you transition in turns? Im not familiar enough with the system to know what it should or shouldn't do but if air is able to move freely between the two air bags that could cause what you are describing.

Try letting all of the air out and going for a drive just on the leaf springs to eliminate what i wrote above as a cause.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they are independent as others have reported differences side-side until the sensor arm was readjusted.

JPNHigh

Reaction score
Truly cannot figure out issue. As of right now I am going to order another one and hope it comes in without issues. Really awesome truck and I truly like it besides the fact it does not drive well and it's been in Ram's possession for 2 months with no resolution. Still cannot drive a similar vehicle so I am going to order the same since I cannot find anyone complaining about the same issues. Was thinking of not ordering air assist on the 3500 but the feature is great when towing at least it was on my 2016 2500 (yes I know different system but similar concept). 2022 order will be placed today for one last shot.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What kind of testing have you done or are you leaving it up to the dealer?

JPNHigh

Reaction score
What kind of testing have you done or are you leaving it up to the dealer?
Swapped a set of wheels and tires. Gave to my Nissan diesel techs here at the store to figure out. They feel it but can't find a resolution. Gave to the same dealership twice and tried a third. Third put a compressor pump on it and released with no change. Can duplicate with anyone in the truck. Service director drove and admitted it felt awful and pulled over. Drove it back and gave back to the team to inspect. They could not find anything. Alignment ok. Only had if for 5 days now of the 1.5 months since delivered. Gonna gamble and order a new one and figure out what to do with this 90k vehicle.

Jak6four

Reaction score
Swapped a set of wheels and tires. Gave to my Nissan diesel techs here at the store to figure out. They feel it but can't find a resolution. Gave to the same dealership twice and tried a third. Third put a compressor pump on it and released with no change. Can duplicate with anyone in the truck. Service director drove and admitted it felt awful and pulled over. Drove it back and gave back to the team to inspect. They could not find anything. Alignment ok. Only had if for 5 days now of the 1.5 months since delivered. Gonna gamble and order a new one and figure out what to do with this 90k vehicl
So sorry, really can’t understand why they can’t figure this out. As I noted in my earlier response, my similarly equipped 3500 handles very well. Loaded my 3000 lb truck camper on it last weekend and went for spin and was very pleased with how it handled the load. Looking forward to hooking up the boat behind it this weekend.

CDNgoat

Reaction score
So sorry, really can’t understand why they can’t figure this out. As I noted in my earlier response, my similarly equipped 3500 handles very well. Loaded my 3000 lb truck camper on it last weekend and went for spin and was very pleased with how it handled the load. Looking forward to hooking up the boat behind it this weekend.
Did you ever figure this out. Have a story I realize it was a honda not a 3500 but it was in an accident and for some reason the body shop loosened off the rear end and what i got was when i corrected either way the rear would move slightly in the opposite direction and i would have to constantly correct the sway, it took me forever to figure this out .and I may not have figured this out if I hadn,t work the line for honda in my youth just food for thought. Your problem sounds similar that maybe something back there is loose. Some day when I get mine I will spend a day or two inspecting with torque wrench Hope you get it sorted

Users who are viewing this thread