Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Aisin Tow Haul Doesn't Engage

The1adman

Reaction score
I have a 2021 3500 SRW HO/Aisin. About 25% of the time if I don't engage Tow/Haul prior to putting the truck in drive it won't engage. Ex. if I start driving and push Tow/Haul the light comes on the instrument panel like normal. but wont actually engage no matter how many times the cycle the button, even if I stop put the truck in Park and engage before shifting into Drive.

When this happens the only way to engage Tow/Haul is to shut the truck off, restart and then when I press the button it will engage. Like I said this happens about 25% of the time. My 2017 never did this and I had 4 times as many miles as my 21. Anybody else have this issue?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Strange. I never engage Tow/Haul until after I am in Drive and I haven't had a problem. Although, unlike in my 2007, I don't use it much.

The1adman

Reaction score
Strange. I never engage Tow/Haul until after I am in Drive and I haven't had a problem. Although, unlike in my 2007, I don't use it much.
Yeah thats how I have usually done it in the past until this truck because it wont engage. The problem is I sometime forget until I'm already driving. Seems odd every indicator says Tow/Haul but it doesn't actually engage. Guess its not a common problem since no one else has commented to have experienced it.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Seems like odd behavior. My 2020 3500 dually HO Aisin doesn't do that.

Nd79

Reaction score
How do you know it is not engaged if both the button light and the dash light are on? Just by drivability?

Diesel42

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I could have sworn last week while pulling my trailer/backhoe the tow/haul wasn't working(21 Cummins H.O. 3500). The light came on the dash, however I could tell by the mannerism of the trans/engine/ and braking wasn't acting correctly. Was questioning myself as crazy but your post confirms what I was noticing. I'm going to have to keep my eye on this. Please keep us posted on yours.

The1adman

Reaction score
How do you know it is not engaged if both the button light and the dash light are on? Just by drivability?
Yes the trans doesn't downshift with exhaust brake on, will up shift into 6th and lug engine. Very noticeable difference when towing 15K lbs. The bummer is trying to find a place to pull over, idle the truck, shut it off, restart, and then select Tow/Haul and its fine.

The1adman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I could have sworn last week while pulling my trailer/backhoe the tow/haul wasn't working(21 Cummins H.O. 3500). The light came on the dash, however I could tell by the mannerism of the trans/engine/ and braking wasn't acting correctly. Was questioning myself as crazy but your post confirms what I was noticing. I'm going to have to keep my eye on this. Please keep us posted on yours.
I guess its not common from my experience with my 2017 and the reply's. I won't let the dealer touch it, even if they could repeat and fix it, the truck would have 6 new problems I would have to deal with. I guess Ill live with it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I can switch mine in and out of TH at will at any point.

Same goes for Exhaust Brake FULL ON/AUTO/OFF.

What you are experiencing is not normal.

If the dealer won't address it, escalate with @RamCares

The1adman

Reaction score
I can switch mine in and out of TH at will at any point.

Same goes for Exhaust Brake FULL ON/AUTO/OFF.

What you are experiencing is not normal.

If the dealer won't address it, escalate with @RamCares
I agree its not normal. My 2017 was the same as yours. The exhaust brake switches Full/On/Off anytime, never been a issue. The Tow/Haul will as well, its the 25% of the time the truck doesn't recognize it.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
That would seriously piss me off. Tow/haul, especially when combined with the exhaust brake, is a MAJOR driver aid when hauling heavy. I totally hear what you're saying about the dealership, really, but the inconvenience you're experiencing surely must outway the 'dealer affect'! Plus it's more than likely an electrical/sensor issue which may effect other functions eventually unless the tow/haul is a stand alone circuit/system?

The1adman

Reaction score
That would seriously piss me off. Tow/haul, especially when combined with the exhaust brake, is a MAJOR driver aid when hauling heavy. I totally hear what you're saying about the dealership, really, but the inconvenience you're experiencing surely must outway the 'dealer affect'! Plus it's more than likely an electrical/sensor issue which may effect other functions eventually unless the tow/haul is a stand alone circuit/system?
Thanks Southernspeed. Yes, with 15k lbs on 7-8% grades it is a major driving aid, its night and day difference controlling the truck/trailer down hill. Unfortunately the only two dealers near me are that bad. My next closest dealer is 130 miles 2.5 hour drive. I would expect the "cant duplicate" response.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Is there a fuse on the circuit? I would double check to make sure all your fuses are plugged in. It's a longshot, but many little intermittent quirks have been attributed to the fuses not being fully inserted.

The1adman

Reaction score
Is there a fuse on the circuit? I would double check to make sure all your fuses are plugged in. It's a longshot, but many little intermittent quirks have been attributed to the fuses not being fully inserted.
Thanks Brewbud. I don't know if there is a fuse for that circuit but I saw in other posts about fuses not being fully seated and did that first thing when I got the truck in February. As others had mentioned most of mine were not seated.

Users who are viewing this thread