Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 3500 CCSB HO Build

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would do the bypass if we didn't have winters here.

I really wish Mishimoto would update theirs for the current AS69RC so I could run that one and put in a thermostat in the winter.
I have always wondered if the winters would be problematic, the only time i have high trans temps is from plowing in the winter

GPurcell01

Reaction score
69* outside and raining on my way to the office which is 30 miles on highways. Transmission ran at 130*. That's cool literally

Vr6mole

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about warm ups and operating temps (not towing) when it's bitter cold.
Glad you mentioned this. Funny that ATS is here in Arvada.

This will be my first winter with the truck so I’m also curious at how long it takes for it to reach proper temps in the winter.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

This will be my first winter with the truck so I’m also curious at how long it takes for it to reach proper temps in the winter.

The only funny part is knowing how bad they are from all the local guys. I'm sure that part is OK, it's just a freakin block of aluminum they can't rally screw up.

tchur1

Reaction score
I'm falling down the slippery slope that is diesel performance.

I'm slowly acquiring parts and plan is to keep it VGT. Want to have a tow vehicle and something my wife can drive but knock on the door of 700hp.

View attachment 51217
Aside from being a '22 thats hard to tune, I havent gone down this road because I know once I start I cant stop haha.

Do you have any concerns with how the AISIN will handle the added power?

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Aside from being a '22 thats hard to tune, I havent gone down this road because I know once I start I cant stop haha.

Do you have any concerns with how the AISIN will handle the added power?

No concerns as of now. I'm not the first pushing that much power and the bigger input shaft paired with upgraded internals put me at ease.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Tentative list:

• Head studs
  • Coolant bypass since I live in the South
  • Fleece in-tank lift pump
  • 103# valve springs and new retainers for high drive pressures
  • Hamilton should be releasing pushrods soon
  • Trunions and billet bridges with better oiling and more strength - I'll already be in there so why not?
  • 10mm high speed CP3 - Our platform clocks the HPFP 1.5:1. That overclocking needs to be addressed when buying a new pump. More so if you plan to rev higher than 3200RPM but would prefer to cover my bases
  • Dynomite Diesel injectors - still need to discuss proper sizing for what I want to accomplish and me being a HO already.
  • Turbo - Looked at the Fleece Cheetah but a 63mm may be too small. Most other offerings are around this size as well. Turbo Time makes a 65mm VGT which is very enticing. What I would be curious to know and need to discuss is whether or not they could machine it out to a 67mm which would ultimately be the goal. Similar to their HXR-669 wheel they fit in the 4th gen turbos
  • Manifold studs because, again, I'm keeping the VGT and high drive pressures
Famous last words but any thoughts?

GPurcell01

Reaction score

The only funny part is knowing how bad they are from all the local guys. I'm sure that part is OK, it's just a freakin block of aluminum they can't rally screw up.

Temps have been in the 120s to 130s and its gotten down pretty cold. Warm up is a little longer but nothing to write home about.

flan

Reaction score
Tentative list:

• Head studs
  • Coolant bypass since I live in the South
  • Fleece in-tank lift pump
  • 103# valve springs and new retainers for high drive pressures
  • Hamilton should be releasing pushrods soon
  • Trunions and billet bridges with better oiling and more strength - I'll already be in there so why not?
  • 10mm high speed CP3 - Our platform clocks the HPFP 1.5:1. That overclocking needs to be addressed when buying a new pump. More so if you plan to rev higher than 3200RPM but would prefer to cover my bases
  • Dynomite Diesel injectors - still need to discuss proper sizing for what I want to accomplish and me being a HO already.
  • Turbo - Looked at the Fleece Cheetah but a 63mm may be too small. Most other offerings are around this size as well. Turbo Time makes a 65mm VGT which is very enticing. What I would be curious to know and need to discuss is whether or not they could machine it out to a 67mm which would ultimately be the goal. Similar to their HXR-669 wheel they fit in the 4th gen turbos
  • Manifold studs because, again, I'm keeping the VGT and high drive pressures
Famous last words but any thoughts?
Wagler hydraulic lifter delete ever a consideration?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'd look at the taterbuilt or stainless 5 wheel. Both seem like solid stock appearing VGTs. Note, that fleece in tank may not be enough for the top end of that 10mm if you're pushing larger injectors..

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I'd look at the taterbuilt or stainless 5 wheel. Both seem like solid stock appearing VGTs. Note, that fleece in tank may not be enough for the top end of that 10mm if you're pushing larger injectors..

I thought about that as well but don't want a fuel pump hanging under the truck or have to add a sump. What would you suggest?

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Wagler hydraulic lifter delete ever a consideration?

Not currently. The hydraulic lifters are noisy but good enough for what I want to do. The dealer near me actually has a knowledgeable staff and diesel techs. They have yet to replace lifters from a failure but I do know it happens.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I thought about that as well but don't want a fuel pump hanging under the truck or have to add a sump. What would you suggest?
It looks like the fleece has been upgraded, I thought previously it supported somewhere in the 650-700 hp mark, but they are now claiming 800hp and 170gph @ 15psi, so you might be ok depending on your stick size.

The airdog and fass units don't hang down on the cummins trucks, just old GM trucks. I'd chat with your tuner/builder and see what they recommend. I have an S&S 10mm HS for my '19 in preparation for upgraded sticks and turbo. I'm currently planning on a fass/airdog 250, which is prob a bit overkill.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
It looks like the fleece has been upgraded, I thought previously it supported somewhere in the 650-700 hp mark, but they are now claiming 800hp and 170gph @ 15psi, so you might be ok depending on your stick size.

The airdog and fass units don't hang down on the cummins trucks, just old GM trucks. I'd chat with your tuner/builder and see what they recommend. I have an S&S 10mm HS for my '19 in preparation for upgraded sticks and turbo. I'm currently planning on a fass/airdog 250, which is prob a bit overkill.

Ok great. I was hoping you'd chime in. 50-70 over is what I'm looking at for injector sizing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok great. I was hoping you'd chime in. 50-70 over is what I'm looking at for injector sizing.
Dont waste time with FASS or Airdog unless you like swapping pumps every couple of years the fleece is a much better option

UglyViking

Reaction score
Dont waste time with FASS or Airdog unless you like swapping pumps every couple of years the fleece is a much better option
I have not heard of this. Seems kind of crazy that literally everyone and their mother in the diesel world runs either a fass or an airdog and I never hear about continual failures. I'm by no means saying fleece is an issue, but I've never heard anything bad about fass or airdog.

whitexc

Reaction score
I replaced the Airdog 150 on my 2nd gen twice in 10 years of ownership. The first time cost me because the PO never sent the warranty card in. Second one was covered. It hung on the frame and was subject to road crap so maybe that aided in its demise.

It was still the best truck I’ve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread