Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 2500 Mega/limited diesel drop length

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Guessing 10, maybe 12 with off road tires, but rather be safe than sorry!

Gen Y site suggests measuring center of of hitch receiver to ground & subtracting 14 inches.

But my truck is only ordered and not yet here.

Anyone with a 2021 megacab 2500 limited diesel have a few minutes & a tape measure? :)

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I've had a 10" with the stock tires and with 35s no lift on a 2500 mega. It worked well in both settings. Obviously, this was an adjustable hitch so depending on tire size it had to be adjusted accordingly. I have a weigh safe hitch. I ran most trailers about 6-7" on stock tires and 9-10" on 35s. The adjustability was great for different trailers. Once I got the 10" on my truck I was glad I didn't go with 12 just because of how far it hung down. With stock tires, it would have been a really low point prone to dragging and with 35s it was a great look.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
I've had a 10" with the stock tires and with 35s no lift on a 2500 mega. It worked well in both settings. Obviously, this was an adjustable hitch so depending on tire size it had to be adjusted accordingly. I have a weigh safe hitch. I ran most trailers about 6-7" on stock tires and 9-10" on 35s. The adjustability was great for different trailers. Once I got the 10" on my truck I was glad I didn't go with 12 just because of how far it hung down. With stock tires, it would have been a really low point prone to dragging and with 35s it was a great look.
That was fast! Thanks!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
6” drop will make most trailers level on stock sized tires even 35s are only .5”-.75” taller so 6” drop still works good

Pronto

Reaction score
The standard way to measure for hitch drop is to measure from the top of the inside of your receiver to the ground. Then level your trailer and measure from the bottom of the coupler to the ground. Subtract the trailer measurement from the truck measurement and that is the amount of drop you should need. This could obviously change with a lot of tongue weight.

My Hemi Mega Cab with offroad package and 285/75/18 tires measured 26" to the top of the receiver. My boat trailer measured 18" from the bottom of the coupler. I bought a hitch with a 9" drop and moved it up 1" from the bottom and it came out level.

TankerTrash

Reaction score
I have a 7" drop B&W for my 2500 megacab, gets the job done very well. Was tempted to go for the 9", but missed the return date on Amazon.

jkempken

Reaction score
got the bulletproof adjustable 8" drop for my 3500 Mega, has bottomed out on the hitch once pulling a loaded up car hauler on some steeper fuel station aprons.

Users who are viewing this thread