Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 standard output - 986 lb/ft?

WXman

Reaction score
I just saw a video from Thoroughbred Diesel where they threw a stock 2500 truck on their dyno. It made 858 to the wheels. If I tack on 15% correction factor that's 986 at the crank.

Is it common for these new Cummins engines to make that kind of power or did this guy have a freak of nature?

kvb45

Reaction score
I think their dyno is very generous. The power stroke was at 460 hp and 979 torque

WXman

Reaction score
I didn't see which brand of dyno they're using. Perhaps that's it. Maybe it's all in the dyno settings.

WXman

Reaction score
It overcounted........like some other machines do?

Careful. Yesterday I got banned from the Jeep Gladiator forum for 60 days after making a similar comment. o_O Seems that a certain group of people with a certain mindset control all the internet forums these days, and they'll zap you without even giving a warning. :D:cool:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Careful. Yesterday I got banned from the Jeep Gladiator forum for 60 days after making a similar comment. o_O Seems that a certain group of people with a certain mindset control all the internet forums these days, and they'll zap you without even giving a warning. :D:cool:
Must be a ‘’JEEP’’ thing. ;)

Lift89

Reaction score
I just saw a video from Thoroughbred Diesel where they threw a stock 2500 truck on their dyno. It made 858 to the wheels. If I tack on 15% correction factor that's 986 at the crank.

Is it common for these new Cummins engines to make that kind of power or did this guy have a freak of nature?

I mean the factory says it’s 850 with the standard outputs. So the fact is got 858 at the wheel is a little much. I do know there’s a lot less wheel HP/TQ loss with the new trucks. They transfer the power pretty efficiently. But to get more than factory number is questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Have to push it pretty far here as the "certain people" group here tends to be smaller, but we do prefer that replies in all the forums except off topic specifically related threads avoid any heavy political commentary. Admittedly, it's hard to walk the line for some topics like when discussing fuel costs, the future of diesel and ICE vs electric vehicles, etc. If it gets too heated or abusive, some will likely get warnings, but overall the forum members here are pretty well behaved. Occasionally someone will go off the deep end and get a warning. They then usually take their ball and go away for a while on their own.

miles

Reaction score
Years ago I had a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton with the 12 valve CTD. It was rated at 160hp & 400tq.

At about 200K, Kms I had a tune up done at Cummins, they dyno all vehicles after the tune up (most of their jobs a big commercial semi trucks).

it dyno at 160hp and the as told “most of them dyno to 130hp yours has more power”)
They are dyno at the rear wheels.

the truck was completely stock, I did replace the OEM exhaust because it rusted out with just a regular pipe and muffler.

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I saw a graph from ADP diesel where the SO did 346whp/788wtq. That's a 1.1%/7.3% loss.

This is the second time I've seen a report of RAM sandbagging the SO numbers if these dyno numbers are accurate, and prove to be repeatable.

From a marketing standpoint it makes sense that they would want to protect the HO by sandbagging the SO. AFAIK, the SO/HO are not SAE certified at the crank.

WXman

Reaction score
I saw a graph from ADP diesel where the SO did 346whp/788wtq. That's a 1.1%/7.3% loss.

This is the second time I've seen a report of RAM sandbagging the SO numbers if these dyno numbers are accurate, and prove to be repeatable.

From a marketing standpoint it makes sense that they would want to protect the HO by sandbagging the SO. AFAIK, the SO/HO are not SAE certified at the crank.

That's roughly 400/900 at the crank. Interesting. I'd love to see some HOs on these same dyno rollers. That would be eye opening.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Must be a ‘’JEEP’’ thing. ;)
Nope. I got banned for 2 weeks from IRV2 board.

AllI stated was "Will this 'accelerated tested virus vaccine' start the world wide zombie apocalypse?"

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Nope. I got banned for 2 weeks from IRV2 board.

AllI stated was "Will this 'accelerated tested virus vaccine' start the world wide zombie apocalypse?"
I also was banned from irv2. Bunch of snowflakes over there. Haven’t looked back since leaving.

WXman

Reaction score
Years ago I had a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton with the 12 valve CTD. It was rated at 160hp & 400tq.

At about 200K, Kms I had a tune up done at Cummins, they dyno all vehicles after the tune up (most of their jobs a big commercial semi trucks).

it dyno at 160hp and the as told “most of them dyno to 130hp yours has more power”)
They are dyno at the rear wheels.

the truck was completely stock, I did replace the OEM exhaust because it rusted out with just a regular pipe and muffler.

The Cummins engine has come a long way. Now, the EcoD is stronger than that, and the Cummins is double the EcoD. Lol. I guess that's really happened to all engines though. I mean, 20 years ago the thought of a 480 horsepower base model Mustang GT would have been nuts.

I saw where the 2021 Cummins HO is going to 1,075 lb/ft. I wonder where this pissing match between Ram and Ford will end? It's already into CDL territory for max towing on the 1-tons now.

Users who are viewing this thread