Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 3500 Dually - Lower the rear 2-3”

Jsmith1243

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully used lowering shackles or anything in that realm to get the rear of the truck down some. Towing my 5th wheel its sky high, i have my hitch as low as it can possibly go and would rather lower the truck than raise the camper... any suggestions would be appreciated.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I’m about to try something something and see if it works I did it on my 3rd and 4th gens so I hope it works again. This is what I’m m going to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsmith1243

Reaction score
I looked at doing that and it appears the spacing blocks are already on the top on mine unfortunately.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I looked at doing that and it appears the spacing blocks are already on the top on mine unfortunately.

Then you will have to look for drop shackles from someone

CRToney

Reaction score
I’m about to try something something and see if it works I did it on my 3rd and 4th gens so I hope it works again. This is what I’m m going to try.

Removing the spacers below the leaf looks like an excellent solution. Back in 1999 the old man bought a Ford SD that had 6” blocks under the springs the dealer installed 4” blocks to level the truck and allow similar ball height to pull a gooseneck trailer.

bmac

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully used lowering shackles or anything in that realm to get the rear of the truck down some. Towing my 5th wheel its sky high, i have my hitch as low as it can possibly go and would rather lower the truck than raise the camper... any suggestions would be appreciated.
let me know if you put lowing shackles in ...just ordered a set for mine 2018 35000 drw....way to hi in the rear ....do you have auto leveling?

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I'm curious how the shackles worked out? What brand did you go with? I'm thinking about trying this on my 3500 drw.. I would love to drop it 1-2" in the rear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nick

Reaction score
I have a set I was going to use my 14 3500 . I bought a new truck and never used them . Just sitting in the box . If they will work on yours I will send them to you .You pay shipping if they work out just send me half of what a set would cost you . Lowers one inch .

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I ended up picking up the 1-2" drop shackles from nick, they are made by chassis works. Here is a link for anyone interested. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2655221318..._u0mCiGQNG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I installed them on my 2020 3500 mega drw short box, without oem rear air. I was only able to install in the 1" drop position, to drop lower you will have to trim a bed support. The install was a huge pain in my driveway but got it done in about 2 hours with hand tools. It dropped the rear exactly 1". I have not had a chance to drive it yet but looks like it achieved what I wanted. My only concern is if my airlift aftermarket airbags will hit the bump stops since its sitting lower than before, but we will see. The shackles have grease zerks which is nice, but the bushings were pretty noisy just bouncing on the bed, hopefully with enough grease they quiet down. Just figured I would share for anyone else interested. Pretty cheap way to get the rear lower.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
raise the pin box on the 5th wheeler that helped alot on ours. need to have min 6-7 inch clearance to bed rails

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
raise the pin box on the 5th wheeler that helped alot on ours. need to have min 6-7 inch clearance to bed rails
My 5th wheel already rides nose high, adjusting the pin box will make it worse. I have already lifted the trailer suspension as much as a am comfortable, and installed larger wheels/tires so lowering the truck was the next option. For the record this is slightly self induced since I am running 35" mud tires on my truck, I do plan to put smaller tires on when these need to be replaced.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
figured it was worth updating, the drop shackles were super noisy, sweaks at every bump in the road. i tried greasing and lubing them but it was always come back. The ride was also a bit harsher i ultimately decided to put the oem shackles back on.

Users who are viewing this thread