Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 2500 clunk noise in the back (video)

kristof

Reaction score
So I have been hearing that noise a lot lately while I'm driving off my driveway. There is a about 3-4" drop from curb to the road. Is this normal? My bed was empty and the cover was secured so it's something in the truck.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Are you sure that it's not your hitch? I know mine will make a rattle / banging noise coming off a driveway like that .

kristof

Reaction score
Are you sure that it's not your hitch? I know mine will make a rattle / banging noise coming off a driveway like that .
I will remove it just to check. I don't like loose hitches so I always tighten them how I can. For example this one I can adjust the height, and when I bought it there were two loos pins holding it together. So I replaced them with two bolts and tighten everything. Then the hitch is mounted with hitch anti rattle stabilizer. Unless the adapter inside the hitch makes that noise.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
It's worth a shot to remove it and test it out. That way you can at least eliminate the hitch making the noise.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Spare loose underneath? I wasn't able to listen...

southern_yank

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'm about to take mine into the dealer for this exact noise when turning left. I've heard the rattle that the TSB covers since day one. Been waiting for a recall(guess they aren't using full blown recall) over the last several days it's gotten nasty. Sounds like a ball joint about to remove itself from the socket. 2020 tradesman 2500 with 25,500 on the clock.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

kristof

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'm about to take mine into the dealer for this exact noise when turning left. I've heard the rattle that the TSB covers since day one. Been waiting for a recall(guess they aren't using full blown recall) over the last several days it's gotten nasty. Sounds like a ball joint about to remove itself from the socket. 2020 tradesman 2500 with 25,500 on the clock.

I have not taken mine to the dealer. I have bad experience with them trying to troubleshoot the problems so I just wait till it actually "break". Like you said mine makes that noise when turning. I can hear it the most if I turn over a small bump or some kind of drop

Ian745

Reaction score
I was going nuts with me 2020 3500 with the clunks, first one was the hitch, i really need to find one for the 2.5” receiver. It rattles in the sleeve.

The second one was the spare tire was dropped down a bit , just enough to bang around

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I was going nuts with me 2020 3500 with the clunks, first one was the hitch, i really need to find one for the 2.5” receiver. It rattles in the sleeve.

The second one was the spare tire was dropped down a bit , just enough to bang around

Just so you're not disappointed, I have a spendy B&W drop hitch with a 2.5" shank and it still clunks. Not as bad as the 2", but pop off a speed bump or something and you'll still hear it. They sell little shims to help stop that stuff but from what I saw they wedge up against the bumper and I'm not trying to have anything touching my painted bumper...

Cronk

Reaction score
im taking my 2021 2500 to the dealer tomorrow for a clunk squeakl coming from the lower a and c pillar... ill let you know what they say. total of 550 miles on it.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Have you check the spare tire to make sure it is not loose and banging around?

TheRAMadaINN

Reaction score
I had a clunk from a bad cv joint on the front driveshaft. It would clunk when the suspension cycled, not every time, but sometimes. I couldn’t locate it for the life of me til the boot started leaking. Replaced front shaft under warranty and the clunk is gone

kristof

Reaction score
To me it sounds like something is hitting the truck frame. And I think it's coming more from the driver front side.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

Hello,

We're glad to hear that you've scheduled an appointment with your dealer. Please feel free to reach out at any point while your vehicle is in service for additional assistance!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
To me it sounds like something is hitting the truck frame. And I think it's coming more from the driver front side.
When that happens on my truck it is usually a shock bolt that has loosened up. Feels like somebody is knocking on the frame. It would be worth checking out the lower bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread