Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 2500 6.7L

Charen

Reaction score
Bought a 2020 2500 diesel approx 18 mos ago with 10414 miles on it. In April of this year (10 months after purchase) at 15000 miles, warning came on about fuel filter service required. Had filters replaced to the tune of $467. Manual shows replacement every 15000 miles. At 22000 miles in December warning came on "exhaust filter full - power is reduced". Took it back to Dodge. They replaced fuel filters and either cabin or engine filter not sure which but the cost is right at $1000. Thats half life of the fuel filter. RAM service department said this was a common problem that the exhaust filter warning came on but it was the fuel filter. Excuse me....Why is there no recall on that? This is NOT my first diesel but probably my last RAM. $500 for fuel filters every 15000 miles is ridiculous enough without having to do it at 7000 miles. Is this typical or is this a fluke of some sort? Loved my 2005 Ram diesel. Never a problem at all. My first one was a 1985 Ford International. That one was a bit expensive but they were relatively new to the passenger market at that time. I agree that Dodge has made a good truck with the exception of the 2008 diesel which liked to vapor lock if you left it idling for any length of time. I am however seriously thinking of going to look at the Super Duty Ford F250 after years of Dodges of one type or another. I tow a mid size RV and do not want a gas pusher to do that with due to fuel economy or lack thereof. Any comments.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Your dealer was wrong, the exhaust filter full is a DPF thing. Best way to keep that from happening is to work the truck.

Did you get any warnings before “power reduced”?

Do you do a lot of city driving or idling with your truck?

Don’t take your truck to the dealer for regular services, as you can see they will overcharge you and apparently do services that aren’t required without your permission? I think I’d be raising hell with the service manager if you didn’t approve those changes. If you did approve them then I’d be raising hell about being lied to.

FWIW, the fuel filters are a 15K mile or 12 month change interval, whichever comes first. Same with engine oil. If you’re out inside your warranty still I would consider more frequent filter changes.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Why do so many say, this will be my last Ram over any type of issue. Do they live a fairy-tale life? Like no other manufacturer has any issues. What gives? Not sure what he pulls but if it's under 11K, buy gas.

flan

Reaction score
Why do so many say, this will be my last Ram over any type of issue. Do they live a fairy-tale life? Like no other manufacturer has any issues. What gives? Not sure what he pulls but if it's under 11K, buy gas.
It would be cooler if it was their last ram, that way we would have less bitches driving them.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Or assume that other brand dealerships aren't crooked either....

Riddick

Reaction score
It would be cooler if it was their last ram, that way we would have less bitches driving them.

Really, your comment is a little harsh. OP is experiencing an issue many members on here have experienced and your going to call him out?

OP, dealer definitely took advantage of you and I would not be surprised if your DPF message comes back. As for fuel filters either do it yourself or find a mom and pop shop to change them for you. The emissions systems on all modern trucks are garbage and they all have issues. If you keep having issues with it I would highly consider deleting it. If and when you jump to another brand its not a matter of if you experience the same issues but when you will have a failure.

flan

Reaction score
Really, your comment is a little harsh. OP is experiencing an issue many members on here have experienced and your going to call him out?

OP, dealer definitely took advantage of you and I would not be surprised if your DPF message comes back. As for fuel filters either do it yourself or find a mom and pop shop to change them for you. The emissions systems on all modern trucks are garbage and they all have issues. If you keep having issues with it I would highly consider deleting it. If and when you jump to another brand its not a matter of if you experience the same issues but when you will have a failure.
Maybe a bit harsh. Constantly seeing people that aren’t able to face problems and deal with them through proper channels is where my frustration comes from. I constantly see the “this is my last ram” comment, the grass is not always greener in the neighbors yard!

Users who are viewing this thread