Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Power Wagon Squealing/ Chirping on startup?

PowerWagon722

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 P Wagon hard loaded. I didn't notice this at the dealership, but every time I start the truck I get a chirping/ squealing that sounds partly like a belt and partly like an exhaust issue under the truck.
It's super annoying. It seems to last until the truck warms up. It's very noticeable and embarrassing that I just bought a 62K truck and it sounds like this.

Does anyone else have this problem? Whats the fix?

I took it buy the dealer and they said it was most likely the break in period and to come back in a couple of weeks if it was still doing it...... frustrating.

Clifford

Reaction score
I have exactly the same thing with my 2020. Only had it a few weeks. Mine really sounds like an exhaust leak. Will bring it up with the dealer during the first service.

willy13

Reaction score
i have a 2019 that only had 110 miles on it, it had 3800 now and it does the same exact thing. I wonder, let me know if one of you find something out. Have not had time to get to the dealer. Very strange.

willy13

Reaction score
All right , finally got my truck to the dealer, had it for two day's. They could not find anything wrong. They ask dodge for help, They said it was the vacuum pump for the brakes. When i picked it up the noise was still there, just not as loud. WEIRD..

Squatch

Reaction score
I laid under mine while it was warming up today, it is definitely the driver side exhaust, it seems to me like it is that first clamp, or the collection of **** just after it that is strapped together with crimped band clamps that has the sender going into it. Forgive me, I don’t know what any of this **** is. I’m used to straight piped diesels.

Tackett

Reaction score
2018 power wagon here does the same thing until it warms up. Plus the brakes squeal.

Nksm89

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 P Wagon hard loaded. I didn't notice this at the dealership, but every time I start the truck I get a chirping/ squealing that sounds partly like a belt and partly like an exhaust issue under the truck.
It's super annoying. It seems to last until the truck warms up. It's very noticeable and embarrassing that I just bought a 62K truck and it sounds like this.

I took it buy the dealer and they said it was most likely the break in period and to come back in a couple of weeks if it was still doing it...... frustrating.
Did you ever figure this out and get it fixed? Is it still doing it?

2powerwagons

Reaction score

My 2016 did that. Took it back and they changed the belt. Still did it.

My 2019 doesn't.

It seems common though.

Nksm89

Reaction score
My 2016 did that. Took it back and they changed the belt. Still did it.

My 2019 doesn't.

It seems common though.
It seems real common. Seeing so many threads on it and mine is doing it now too. But it’s loud and it’s really annoying lol. They had better fix this, there’s no way they all do it. Mine is a brand new 2021

jadmt

Reaction score
It seems real common. Seeing so many threads on it and mine is doing it now too. But it’s loud and it’s really annoying lol. They had better fix this, there’s no way they all do it. Mine is a brand new 2021
I have had people tell me theirs didn't do it but when I listened to theirs I heard it. every single one at the dealership did it. I have it tuned out so I don't notice it any more unless of course I read a thread about it lol....I am at all most 17000 miles and yup still does it but by tomorrow I will have forgotten about it lol.

Nksm89

Reaction score
I have had people tell me theirs didn't do it but when I listened to theirs I heard it. every single one at the dealership did it. I have it tuned out so I don't notice it any more unless of course I read a thread about it lol....I am at all most 17000 miles and yup still does it but by tomorrow I will have forgotten about it lol.
Maybe mine is louder than average cuz I don’t know how you would deal with this lol. I’ll take a video in a few!

jetrinka

Reaction score
I hated it at first too, not because of the noise itself but because I didn’t understand what it was and thought something must be wrong with the engine. Now that I know it’s just how they are and that it goes away once warm, I sleep peacefully at night thankful I have an amazing truck that does all sorts of awesome things for me.

Nksm89

Reaction score
I hated it at first too, not because of the noise itself but because I didn’t understand what it was and thought something must be wrong with the engine. Now that I know it’s just how they are and that it goes away once warm, I sleep peacefully at night thankful I have an amazing truck that does all sorts of awesome things for me.
This is true. Just so weird that some guys never experience it with theirs. I’ll live with it... for now

JE_75PW

Reaction score
Here’s mine... this how loud your guys is??
This is exactly what mine sounds like! I was a little worried at first, even changed the oil at 1100 miles because of this.

Was only noticeable during cold start, then also at full temp but intermittent. Now, It seems consistent at idle, for both cold and hot. Currently have 5600 miles.

thinking about changing the exhaust, but frustrated that I have to look to the aftermarket world to fix issues with new truck but here we are.

speaking of frustrated...
Also looking at a roar pedal or tuning, so I can have access to "all" of the truck the I paid for. Continuous situation arise where the computer and I disagree... when I say off, I mean OFF!! not a little off, I mean go away! your services are no longer required... I dont mean reduce my throttle when I'm hammering through mud and snow and I want the momentum. OR!! the rear starts to kick out on black ice and I want to give it more throttle to straighten up, but instead the computer decided it was a better idea to hit the brakes and take away the throttle completely but only for a few seconds, which almost results in a spin but then gave you back a little throttle...still not enough that its useful because the brakes are still being applied.

Even the acceleration is restricted, what I mean is, the throttle does not mirror my foot. At least until the pedal is about 3/4 of the way to the floor, then it goes from what feels like 1/4 to full, drops three gears, slams you back in the seat and reminds me why I like the hemi's. But thats not what i wanted in that situation.

I think it might be time for an "off-grid" truck... must haves include:
- ability to rev engine from other locations than drivers seat
- more pedals than feet
- transmission MUST require driver input prior to any change
- must include alternate methods of starting engine
- Must have increased security system (separate key for entering is accepted)
- AM/FM radio... optional

- Must NOT have any ability to make decisions of any kind
- Must NOT have the ability to override driver input
- Must NOT have the ability to communicate information to the manufacture - all communication will be the responsibility of the driver/owner
- Must NOT have the ability to record any information ( pre-set radio station if equipped are acceptable)
- Must NOT have any system that redirects oil away from important engine components .

Users who are viewing this thread