Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 front driveshaft clunk

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
Hey guys, Iv been trying to track down this noise for awhile now. Been in and out of dealers. Went on a road test with another technician today and he said he thinks my front drive shaft is bad. I get this weird clunk whenever I’m in stop and go traffic. Let off pedal get back on pedal and then “clunk”. See my video and see what you guys think? I feel like it shouldn’t be making that metal clunk noise. I’m pretty sure this is noise.

flan

Reaction score
A little backlash is expected. The front driveshaft does not really come into play during 2wd driving. There was a recent Post about the dragging clunking, maybe look into that.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
As the yoke on the pinion is rotating too it looks like excessive backlash in the front differential specifically in the pinion preload. If it uses a pinion crush sleeve is used to set preload, maybe it was crushed to the point it collapsed.

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
Yeah I’m wondering if that is my issue. The clunk is so annoying to have to hear and deal with in stop and go traffic…

flan

Reaction score
What do you mean dragging clunking?
That was supposed to say draglink clunking.

Here’s the thread

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
Yeah that’s my other post haha. That didn’t fix the problem. Now I am at this point and technician is thinking my front drive shaft is bad. Idk. It’s a super big ass inconvenience for me and my wife because when I drop off the vehicle we only have 1 car. It’s affecting my work schedule

Users who are viewing this thread