Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 6.7 Cummins clunk noise

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some input, I was driving the other day and whenever I’m in stop and go traffic every once in a awhile when the left off the gas pedal and then press it again I get a clunk noise coming from like the middle of the of truck. Someone was telling me it could either be the slip yoke needing to be greased or it’s the torque converter locking and unlocking. Anyone else have this sorta noise happen to them? It’s generall driving between like 10-25mph when I notice it. Like the transmission down shifts and I step back on the pedal and it’ll do the clunk. Maybe like the drive shaft trying to catch back up or something?

Thanks guys!

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
Also I just went under my truck, I noticed the front drive shaft I can take my hand and move it back and forth. Like towards the transmission and then toward the front diff. Are these new style CV shafts suppose to have play?

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
I don’t believe I have a carrier bearing ….? I went under the truck and I have a one piece rear drive shaft. I was thinking it could be possibly a transfer case cross member?

Highcountry

Reaction score
This might sound dumb on my part, but I was hearing a clunk like you describe. I was sure it was something mechanical, but found a metal water bottle that was 3/4 full that was way back in the space under the back seat (not the part you see when you fold the seat bases up) I was convinced it was under the truck until I finally found the bottle

jkempken

Reaction score
Could also be fuel splashing back and forth. I know I get some sloshing noise when between about half and full tank when I stop or speed up abruptly from fuel slosh in my big Titan 50 Gal Tank.

sundance

Reaction score
I'll add my penny. Just happened to me. I have a 2022 3500 Black Widow. I had a gradually clunk develop that turned out to be loose pinion flange bolts at the rear axle. Someone must have left off the blue loctite on the bolts and they gradually backed out. Tightened them and much better. Thought I would share.

Users who are viewing this thread