Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 2500 air ride, rear axle alignment off

KM673000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2020 limited/air suspension 2500. The rear of the truck is off center - there is a 2 inch difference between the rear wheels when compared to the fender. Almost like a crab walk, and it makes the truck pull to the right.

I did a search, sounds like this has happened before. Is there any fix? Or am I screwed?

Thanks in advance!

tla90

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2020 limited/air suspension 2500. The rear of the truck is off center - there is a 2 inch difference between the rear wheels when compared to the fender. Almost like a crab walk, and it makes the truck pull to the right.

I did a search, sounds like this has happened before. Is there any fix? Or am I screwed?

Thanks in advance!
Had it happen to mine, except it was a 22. Have a thread in the problems subforum. I believe the dealership just loosened up the rear axle and drove around on some bumpy roads, but mine wasn't 2" off. I had a case opened with Ram about it. Didn't fix it entirely, but much better now somehow. Honestly baffled on how.

The dealership was Lakeshore Ram in Kenner, LA if your dealership needs to look into it

jetrinka

Reaction score
There is no way for the coil sprung rear axles to be off center from the frame unless there is something "off" with the rear track bar. I wouldn't measure to the body but to the frame. If measurements to the frame are fine I'd say the bed isn't mounted straight.

These trucks drift right and are sensitive to crown.

tla90

Reaction score
There is no way for the coil sprung rear axles to be off center from the frame unless there is something "off" with the rear track bar. I wouldn't measure to the body but to the frame. If measurements to the frame are fine I'd say the bed isn't mounted straight.

These trucks drift right and are sensitive to crown.
Alignment machine with readings taken by several techs said my rear axle was turned counter-clockwise. Star engineer seemed to agree and just told them to loosen it and drive around (according to the dealership). It was basically fixed when I got it back. Only problem now is that when I hit the bottom of dips, the steering wheel turns very slightly right.

I have no idea how it worked, but it did. All of my body panels lined up perfectly from the factory as well. First thing the dealership said when they got the rack numbers back was that I wrecked it

jetrinka

Reaction score
I dunno about these dealer "diagnosis's" that people keep talking about. Loosen everything and drive it... It sounds like your thrust angle was out which could cause a pull to once side but I seriously doubt 2" of difference between the wheel wells. They may have adjusted something else there.

The only thing loosening everything and driving around would accomplish is allowing all the suspension/control arm bushings to center themselves at a true ride height before tightening the bolts. In extreme conditions torquing down suspension parts with the vehicle not at ride height can cause weird problems - I've even seen ride height changes on IFS vehicles.

A 2" shift of the axle side to side would require an extreme lift or drop of the frame off the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread