Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 6.4 Advice

Vapor567

Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm really wanting to go with a used 2019 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 and new 8 speed (4x4). I currently have a Nissan Titan XD Gas. I thought this truck was going to be perfect for my situation but being we're moving to the foothills of the Appalachians, I need something with a little better hill power. My Titan drives great, but, revs out in flat Florida to 3500 RPM all the time just to maintain 62-65 mph on little overpasses and it just feels weak all while getting 7.5 mpg. This is while towing an empty 24' Cargo enclosed trailer with a V-nose that weighs about 3400 lbs dry. We want to do a lot of camping with a camper weighing 7200 GVWR (29 ft) and I just don't think it's going to be pleasant towing in TN/NC/GA/VA hills.

My question is will this new 8 speed and the step up to the 6.4 be enough for me? I don't mind revving to maintain speeds but struggling in Florida is unacceptable. I know the 6.4 is no diesel but I really would prefer sticking to a gas truck bc the price and I like doing all my own maintenance.

Sorry for the long post and thank you very much for input.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Well, if you once got a diesel and experienced the difference, you may not go back to gas. Personally, I dislike the Erving of gas on hills towing. Maintenance is straight forward as well. I do all my own on all my engines, small, gas auto, diesel trucks and tractors. Nothing to be afraid of. Never buy little Truck to do a big boy job. You can find some decent deals on 17 and 18 ram diesels too. If you do lots of stop and go and little towing, get the 6.4, if more towing and longer trips, diesel works.

Vapor567

Reaction score
Well, if you once got a diesel and experienced the difference, you may not go back to gas. Personally, I dislike the Erving of gas on hills towing. Maintenance is straight forward as well. I do all my own on all my engines, small, gas auto, diesel trucks and tractors. Nothing to be afraid of. Never buy little Truck to do a big boy job. You can find some decent deals on 17 and 18 ram diesels too. If you do lots of stop and go and little towing, get the 6.4, if more towing and longer trips, diesel works.
Thanks, the truck would be primarily used for long towing. I'm going to get a commuter car for work. It would tow my trailer, light boat, and the camper. However, the camper would probably be at most once a month.

Power247

Reaction score
I just traded my '12 Cummins for a '19 6.4 Hemi and so far I couldn't be happier. It will be a few months before I pul the camper and I'm sure I will miss the Cummins power somewhat but for the few times a year I pull the camper I just couldn't justify the added cost of the 6.7 on a new one.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

MobyDick

Reaction score
The 6.4 with a 8 speed behind it is a beast of a truck. Couldn’t be happier with my decision as well. Only downside I see is why a 3/4 and 1 ton truck would ever need ECO/MDS. MDS will drive you to drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
The 6.4 with a 8 speed behind it is a beast of a truck. Couldn’t be happier with my decision as well. Only downside I see is why a 3/4 and 1 ton truck would ever need ECO/MDS. MDS will drive you to drink!

MDS and start stop crap kept me away from ford, gm, and now gas rams.

Vapor567

Reaction score

So while on the highway and when the MDS kicks on what exactly happens- you feel a loss of power or does it shift more? It's my understanding it goes to 4 cylinders or is it 6 somehow?

Drove my dad's F350 Dually diesel for two days and though it pulls unbelievably, I just can't justify the cost increase for a diesel. My house is set to sell Friday (closing) and as long as that goes through pretty sure this weekend I'll be trading in for a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4.

Vapor567

Reaction score
The start/stop thing at say red lights over the years- are we talking a new starter much more frequent or did they change to a brushless starting motor to extend the life of them?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
There is no start-stop on the Ram 6.4 Hemi. In regards to the MDS, I have no issues whatsoever with mine. If you use middle grade gas, as recommended in the manual, the engine timing works just fine with the MDS. MDS is a non issue.
yeah, the start stop is on the fords, mds on gm and fca, as well as many other cars and such. Each start and stop places more stresses and wear on untold numbers of components, mds system is crazy sensitive to oil(at least on gm system). Got a buddy with one of those gm trucks and he hates the thing. Any time an engineer gets involved for a fraction of a % in fuel economy or for emissions, you are gonna be in trouble if you keep the thing past warranty period. Gas or diesel, these days, doesn’t seem to matter. My 1/2 penny’s worth.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Agree Bozo! You don’t buy a HD truck usually for fuel mileage and why they do MDS on them puzzles me too. I switched back in the day from a Cummins to a v-10....:-0 man was that a mistake, not only did it drink the gas not pulling it really got with it when pulling.........like 5mpg. I have heard guys in my area pulling campers and 5th’s with the 6.4 and seeing 6-9mpg using mid grade gas. To each his own but I for one will never go back to gas on a HD truck. Cummins has longevity, no MDS and pulls like a tank with no high revving and gets decent MPG pulling and not pulling.

MikeXM

Reaction score
The start/stop thing at say red lights over the years- are we talking a new starter much more frequent or did they change to a brushless starting motor to extend the life of them?
Different starters are used for the increased usage.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Different starters are used for the increased usage.
that maybe, but price one of those when needed.$$$$ Starters are but one piece of the puzzle when something goes haywire.

Vapor567

Reaction score
Agree Bozo! You don’t buy a HD truck usually for fuel mileage and why they do MDS on them puzzles me too. I switched back in the day from a Cummins to a v-10....:-0 man was that a mistake, not only did it drink the gas not pulling it really got with it when pulling.........like 5mpg. I have heard guys in my area pulling campers and 5th’s with the 6.4 and seeing 6-9mpg using mid grade gas. To each his own but I for one will never go back to gas on a HD truck. Cummins has longevity, no MDS and pulls like a tank with no high revving and gets decent MPG pulling and not pulling.
I don't know, I'm hoping this 6.4/8 speed is a good combo. I never intend to tow more than 10k lbs. If it weren't for the emissions issues I'd probably go diesel.

CurtJ

Reaction score
I don't know, I'm hoping this 6.4/8 speed is a good combo. I never intend to tow more than 10k lbs. If it weren't for the emissions issues I'd probably go diesel.
I will say one thing, if your not going to be driving a lot and or working it a lot you will be better off with the 6.4 The Diesel is not worth it if your only driving say 5 miles to work or just pulling once a month. My son bought a 2019 CTD like mine and he only drives 5 miles round trip for work. He has had issues with his particulate filter because he wasn’t driving long enough for it to go into regen mode. He now has to take it out and drive it a bit. I told him he should have bought a gassser but he wanted a Cummins.

ClawSS

Reaction score
...So would it be more prudent to get a diesel if you hardly ever tow anything, haul a bit, but drive 33k a year 1/2 highway-1/2 city?

jsalbre

Reaction score
...So would it be more prudent to get a diesel if you hardly ever tow anything, haul a bit, but drive 33k a year 1/2 highway-1/2 city?

That really depends on what you’re hauling, and if you’re talking 2500 or 3500.

If you’re looking at a 2500 then the diesel will take up a lot of your payload capacity. That’s less of an issue with the 3500. That being said, either engine will have no problem moving the maximum payload that these trucks can haul.

You’ll get slightly better mileage with the diesel vs the gas, but I can buy a lot of gas for $9000. Diesel maintenance is also higher cost (oil changes, fuel filters, etc). You’ll need to buy DEF with the diesel as well.

If you want the diesel to tow super heavy or just to have the diesel then get it. If you want the truck to do some mid-weight towing and hauling and you don’t care as much about which particular engine you have, get the Hemi.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Resale on diesels is also higher. Get what you want. I think most also overlook the recommended premium fuel for the 6.4. Around here now, diesel is only 20 cents more than regular, premium up to 50cents higher. Each engine has their pros and cons and different requirements. I also cringe at the upcharge for the diesel, but people don’t bat an eye when it comes to luxury interiors and fancy wheels and such. I have questioned the technology/navigation options for some time. I have a vehicle that has all that, and I can do most of that stuff via smartphone at far less cost. That said, I will still opt for the 12” screen if I decide I want it. With all the techies out there, I also believe that that will be a resale point as well.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Resale on diesels is higher, but not $9k. Right now book values on a 5 yr old truck are around $5k difference, diesel vs gas. For an option that costs $9k more. I wouldn't be worried about getting diesel vs gas for a daily commute of less than an hour of driving time. And if I wanted to haul a lot, the gas would be my preference for payload. Big towing is where the diesel makes the difference, imho. And just general preference for a lot of guys, too.

Users who are viewing this thread