Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 3500 roof leak

thestuarts

Reaction score
It has been raining for many days where I live. Today, I noticed water in the back seat. It appears to be leaking from two places: around the dome light and around the left rear speaker. Pictures below.

I verified the following:
  • The sunroof is fully closed without any debris in the seal.
  • The sunroof is not in "vent" mode.
  • All windows and doors are fully closed.
  • I looked and felt around in the cavity behind the dome light, but I can't find the source of the leak.

The truck is parked on a slight uphill grade, so I wonder if the sunroof drains are in the front of the cab above the water line. I am taking it to the dealer, but has anyone else experienced a leak like this?

@NAllyn96 reported his cab lights leaking in the front, but my leak seems to be coming from the rear of the cab.

Water in seat.jpg

Dome light wet.jpg

Left rear speaker wet.jpg

time2kyl

Reaction score
Do you have marker lights? Seems to be the common leak location.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I have marker lights. Wouldn't a leak in a marker light cause the headliner to be wet near the sun visors? Mine is only leaking in the back as far as I can tell.

Zrojas

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I have marker lights. Wouldn't a leak in a marker light cause the headliner to be wet near the sun visors? Mine is only leaking in the back as far as I can tell.
You are seeing the water in the back of the cab. If you are parked up hill, it may be coming in at the marker lights and running to/collecting at the back of the cab. Just a possibility. I have the marker lights and haven't had any issue so far. I did not get a sun roof because I didn't want to deal with the issues that always come to sun roofs with age.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
It has been raining for many days where I live. Today, I noticed water in the back seat. It appears to be leaking from two places: around the dome light and around the left rear speaker. Pictures below.

I verified the following:
  • The sunroof is fully closed without any debris in the seal.
  • The sunroof is not in "vent" mode.
  • All windows and doors are fully closed.
  • I looked and felt around in the cavity behind the dome light, but I can't find the source of the leak.

The truck is parked on a slight uphill grade, so I wonder if the sunroof drains are in the front of the cab above the water line. I am taking it to the dealer, but has anyone else experienced a leak like this?

@NAllyn96 reported his cab lights leaking in the front, but my leak seems to be coming from the rear of the cab.

View attachment 1542

View attachment 1543

View attachment 1544

Hi thestuarts,
Please keep us updated with your dealer visit! If additional assistance is needed please reach out to us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

thestuarts

Reaction score
The service department identified the source of the leak. It is coming from the seal around the third brake light on the top of the cab. They should have it fixed with a new seal tomorrow. I will report back if the new seal doesn't resolve the issue.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
The service department identified the source of the leak. It is coming from the seal around the third brake light on the top of the cab. They should have it fixed with a new seal tomorrow. I will report back if the new seal doesn't resolve the issue.

was there any water damage to the headliner or the speakers?

blu3s94

Reaction score
They should be replacing that headliner. Mine leaked a little on my 2015 and left water stains. My bumper to bumper warranty was out though. So I fixed it myself

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
They should be replacing that headliner. Mine leaked a little on my 2015 and left water stains. My bumper to bumper warranty was out though. So I fixed it myself

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

that's what i would think....i'd also worry about mold and mildew.

dalepres

Reaction score
You are seeing the water in the back of the cab. If you are parked up hill, it may be coming in at the marker lights and running to/collecting at the back of the cab. Just a possibility. I have the marker lights and haven't had any issue so far. I did not get a sun roof because I didn't want to deal with the issues that always come to sun roofs with age.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is exactly why I didn't by the lights on my new truck. Just more opportunity for a leak. That the lights were a $95 dollar option, to cut and install 5 or 6 holes, how ever many it was, just scared me that they can't possibly be doing a good job. I was glad to read in another thread from an actual highway patrol guy who does these inspections, that the lights are only required for DRW, and not for SRW - turns out they're for marking width and not height.

I'm sorry to hear the OP is having leak problems but I'm glad to know I likely made the right choice - still to be determined based on his final findings.

thestuarts

Reaction score
This is exactly why I didn't by the lights on my new truck. Just more opportunity for a leak. That the lights were a $95 dollar option, to cut and install 5 or 6 holes, how ever many it was, just scared me that they can't possibly be doing a good job. I was glad to read in another thread from an actual highway patrol guy who does these inspections, that the lights are only required for DRW, and not for SRW - turns out they're for marking width and not height.

I'm sorry to hear the OP is having leak problems but I'm glad to know I likely made the right choice - still to be determined based on his final findings.

I am the OP, so thanks for your sympathy. It is appreciated. I wanted to clarify the service department said my leak is coming from the third brake light, not the optional cab lights.

Westfield

Reaction score
I was glad to read in another thread from an actual highway patrol guy who does these inspections, that the lights are only required for DRW, and not for SRW - turns out they're for marking width and not height.

Anything over 80" wide needs a clearance light so you can tell it isn't two motorcycles going down the road. It doesn't have to be 5 like many HD trucks have. They don't have to be on the roof; Ford puts them in the grille of the Raptor (that's the only SRW I know of that is >80"). I got the clearance lamps because I'm not letting a 1/2 ton truck have more lights than mine :p.

IronByron

Reaction score
Anything over 80" wide needs a clearance light so you can tell it isn't two motorcycles going down the road. It doesn't have to be 5 like many HD trucks have. They don't have to be on the roof; Ford puts them in the grille of the Raptor (that's the only SRW I know of that is >80"). I got the clearance lamps because I'm not letting a 1/2 ton truck have more lights than mine :p.

Not sure what is measured in to determine these requirements but my 2019 SRW 2500 measures around 83.5” (body only, that is not including the mirrors of course)

Zrojas

Reaction score

dalepres

Reaction score
The Ram body builder dimensions show that the max body width for the 2500 and 3500 SRW is 79.4 inches. View attachment 1584

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not including fender flares I would agree with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, @Zrojas. I saved that to the cloud in case I need it on the road some day. @IronByron, I hope that doesn't matter. That might put me over the edge. I bet it would be expensive if I have to go back and add the lights. I'd be fighting FCA to add them for nothing if their design doesn't meet regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread