Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 3500 issues

smithkp

Reaction score
Bought the above truck about a month ago used with 22k miles on it. PO must have realized it had major issues and traded it in at the Toyota dealer. It has a slew of electronic/computer issues that the dealer has been unable to fix. Been in the dealership 3 times so far and the only good that has come out of it is that the CP4 was changed to what I am guessing is a CP3. There is something going on with the rear air suspension right now. The light comes on and off when we hit a bump and when it comes on, the speedometer display loses the range on the right side and the settings and whatever else is on the left side. When the light goes off at the next bump, the dash doesn't return to normal. It will just keep the speedo up with no additional information. We also get random codes for no DEF sensed and loss of communication with the BCM. I suspect a faulty BCM but unfortunately it is an 800 dollar replacement to maybe not fix anything and has to be refreshed at the dealer. Doors will also lock and unlock at random speeds and the middle of a drive. One time the entire dash went dead and then made a bunch of dings and came back to life. At this point we are kind of afraid to take it anywhere because we worry that it will turn off and not restart. Another weird issue is that if we put it in park for an extended time while the engine is running, the shifter will lock up. We have to then turn the truck off and restart to **** back into drive.
Any ideas on where to start?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Sounds like loose chassis ground/s, but first check all of your FUSES and RELAYS in ALL fuse panels. There are many documented cases on this site where the fuses and or relays are not fully seated into their sockets causing a myriad of electrical issues similar to what you describe in other member's trucks.

smithkp

Reaction score
Going to run through the fuse box tonight and see if anything is off. Took my RV back to barn today and that suspension light stays off during a load on the hitch.

smithkp

Reaction score
Never got to the bottom of this and it is getting worse. Normally, the air bag sensor light is on. When it is, the transmission shifts terribly. Like someone kicking the back of your seat and a banging noise. When the light is off, truck runs great. When the air bag light goes off while driving, the speedo display will loose the settings tab and the range tab. Now, while driving, every warning message will start flashing and chiming one after another and it throws a check engine light or two. During these warnings and fault displays, the doors will unlock and lock while driving.

Been to the dealership multiple times and they can find nothing wrong. We pay 250.00 per scan every time it goes in. They did update some software but that didn't cure any of these electronic gremlins. Truck only has 22K miles on it but the 3yr bumper to bumper warranty is up. One of the first codes I pulled was loss of communication with the BCM. Dealership states BCM is fine. They quoted 800.00+ to replace and program a new BCM and we can pay to have the air bag sensor to be replaced but no guaranty it will solve the problems.

Kind of getting at our wits end with this truck. Worried that it is going to go into limp mode or shut off during one of these episodes. Simply put, I don't trust it. Now I am mulling over trying to unload this truck or continue throwing money at it. You just don't expect this from a 70k+ truck.

g00fy

Reaction score
Never got to the bottom of this and it is getting worse. Normally, the air bag sensor light is on. When it is, the transmission shifts terribly. Like someone kicking the back of your seat and a banging noise. When the light is off, truck runs great. When the air bag light goes off while driving, the speedo display will loose the settings tab and the range tab. Now, while driving, every warning message will start flashing and chiming one after another and it throws a check engine light or two. During these warnings and fault displays, the doors will unlock and lock while driving.

Been to the dealership multiple times and they can find nothing wrong. We pay 250.00 per scan every time it goes in. They did update some software but that didn't cure any of these electronic gremlins. Truck only has 22K miles on it but the 3yr bumper to bumper warranty is up. One of the first codes I pulled was loss of communication with the BCM. Dealership states BCM is fine. They quoted 800.00+ to replace and program a new BCM and we can pay to have the air bag sensor to be replaced but no guaranty it will solve the problems.

Kind of getting at our wits end with this truck. Worried that it is going to go into limp mode or shut off during one of these episodes. Simply put, I don't trust it. Now I am mulling over trying to unload this truck or continue throwing money at it. You just don't expect this from a 70k+ truck.
Just a shot in the dark if you haven't checked already since you said you got a loss of communication with bcm, make sure all the plugs in the bcm are fully seated. I'd even grab the bundles of wires going into the plugs and give them a shove too Incase some pins got tugged and backed out.

Also should mention my friends have a jeep renegade that gave them a TON of electrical issues for a couple years. Constant trips back and forth to the dealer, nothing ever fixed it, finally the dealer replaced the BCM and that fixed the vast majority of the issues.

tyler2you

Reaction score
With so many electrical/computer gremlins, I'd guess it's a wiring/connector/ground issue somewhere. Either that, or water damage. We had a previous vehicle where the sunroof drain hose got disconnected and was letting water pool on the floor when it rained. We were having all sorts of random issues like doors locking/unlocking randomly, sunroof opening on its own, brake light failure, and trans control module faults. It took 3 trips to the dealer before they pinned down the problem. Water had gotten into the BCM computer that was mounted on the floor under the seats.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
all of this has happened through a fca dealer, or the selling dealer?

smithkp

Reaction score
all of this has happened through a fca dealer, or the selling dealer?
We bought it from a Toyota dealer. Apparently the previous owner saw that he had a dud and traded it in at 19K miles. Between the truck and the crappy dealerships around here, it has been a roller coaster ride. First 2 dealers claimed it was no longer under warranty and we were out of pocket they first 3 trips. Second dealership gave up and directed us to a 3rd and apparently, this dealership has their stuff together. Immediately said the vehicle is under warranty and wanted to get everything fixed. Also was able to determine the suspension control module was dead and ordered a new one. No idea when it will arrive. DPF code was found and they fixed that. Told us to make a list of everything that is wrong with it and when the part comes in, he will address them.

One of our gripes is there is a leak in the windshield on the passenger side. Right about where the handle is on the A pillar. He said it was probably a clogged drain from the sunroof but why would that cause it to come inside? So now, the above post is drawing my attention if there is some electronic module under the floor carpet.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I did read all of that, but have you engaged a fca dealer yet?

crazy...

smithkp

Reaction score
No idea what an FCA dealer is. If you are referring to a Dodge dealer, yes.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
yah, a factory dealer. surprised they are failing you so bad.

smithkp

Reaction score
The saga continues. Dealer got the suspension part in and we dropped the truck off Monday night. Get called to pick it up on Tuesday as it was fixed. Got in the truck, hit the door lock and it started cycling through all the warnings and trouble codes. Tech came out and said he was leaning towards the BCM. Get a call today and was told the water leak on the passenger side A pillar is coming from the back sliding window. That's right, the back window... Also, something called the Star connector is supposedly causing all these constant warning messages. Had to Google that one. It appears to be a multi plug for all the CAN plugs. Of course they have to order all these parts and don't know when they will be in. They are also going to keep the truck again so I think that leaves us with the truck in our possession for a total of 3 days this month.

I have no hope that this Star Connector is actually going to cure all of the issues on this truck. I am at a loss of how one can pay 73K for a vehicle that flat doesn't work. I guess it is drivable if you don't mind the constant chimes and distractions on the dash as it cycles through warnings constantly. Kind of kills the ambiance of a long drive as you can't even listen to the stereo due to the constant chiming. At my wits end here.

The1adman

Reaction score
The saga continues. Dealer got the suspension part in and we dropped the truck off Monday night. Get called to pick it up on Tuesday as it was fixed. Got in the truck, hit the door lock and it started cycling through all the warnings and trouble codes. Tech came out and said he was leaning towards the BCM. Get a call today and was told the water leak on the passenger side A pillar is coming from the back sliding window. That's right, the back window... Also, something called the Star connector is supposedly causing all these constant warning messages. Had to Google that one. It appears to be a multi plug for all the CAN plugs. Of course they have to order all these parts and don't know when they will be in. They are also going to keep the truck again so I think that leaves us with the truck in our possession for a total of 3 days this month.

I have no hope that this Star Connector is actually going to cure all of the issues on this truck. I am at a loss of how one can pay 73K for a vehicle that flat doesn't work. I guess it is drivable if you don't mind the constant chimes and distractions on the dash as it cycles through warnings constantly. Kind of kills the ambiance of a long drive as you can't even listen to the stereo due to the constant chiming. At my wits end here.
Did you ever get this sorted out and fixed? Mine is doing the same thing. Started with lost communication with BCM and progressed to same issues your having.

Ram3516

Reaction score
Bump on this tread….

I just purchased a 2019 3500 Limited and started to have the same issues as stated above.

Checked ground and fuses. BCM???

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The guy has not logged on since oct 2022 so i doubt we will get an update

Users who are viewing this thread