Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 truck bed leak

Fightingcarrot

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm brand new to Ram 2500s; I've only ever had a gas F150 from early 2000s. I bought the 2019 6.7L two weeks ago with 14,000 miles on the odometer. I've driven it for 1500 miles and absolutely love it. I've noticed however that after I towed my very light minibike (KX65, 120lbs) to and from the gokart track that there's a pool of fluids that smells like gas gathering around the center of the 5, fifth wheel prep holes. The other holes also seem to have a tiny bit of fluid as well.

I kind of dismissed it as it was very negligible in the last week or so, but tonight, after I got home there was a big pool of fluids wider than ever before. I did have the routine fuel filter replacement (Mopar filters) earlier today. However, this seems unrelated. Is this a known issue for these trucks? I've never had a truck with a 5th wheel prep group; I have no intention of getting a fifth wheel, but I am towing travel trailers/bumper pulls for family trips and trackdays. Just want to make sure its safe for my family.

Pictures attached.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5984.jpg
    IMG_5984.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5986.jpg
    IMG_5986.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
Hmm... That's strange. Have you tried taking out the plug to get a look below the bed? (You might need pliers to twist and pull the plug; sometimes they are pretty tight.)

Distillusion

Reaction score
Looks like all 5 of the towing point plugs look like they have moisture of some sort around them. There's really not much underneath the truck back there to contribute this sort of thing. Brake lines aren't that close, but I'd check the reservoir just to be sure you're not losing brake fluid - ounce of precaution. The air ride lines are dry, full of nitrogen, can't account for it. The rear differential is down there, but it seems an unlikely source. Even an exhaust leak doesn't really fit the pattern.

You said you towed the minibike but did you mean it was strapped into the bed? There are straps laying loose in the bed. Makes me wonder if you had the bike or a spare gas can or something in the bed, with a loose lid that might have sloshed a little? Or perhaps rain and road oil splashed up under the plugs by the tires?

steve49

Reaction score
Could it be a diesel fuel hose from the tank or the rear filter, squirting up under the bed in that area. Since the rear two fifth wheel plugs are wet too, but dry between them and the center hole, would make me thinks it's occurring under the truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my theory.

Unless you were hauling something in the bed that's leaking...

Fluids getting on the driveshaft could get flung up against the bed and migrate through contact with the puck covers.

The spotting in the bed would appear to be more likely from something in the bed.

The two things combined.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Odd question; is your kx65 a 2 stroke? I only ask because I spilled 2 stroke fuel out of my old KRX250 years ago onto my spray in bed liner and it looked very similar to that. It also seemed like it took weeks to go away. I never figured out why the 2-stroke fuel did that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Odd question; is your kx65 a 2 stroke? I only ask because I spilled 2 stroke fuel out of my old KRX250 years ago onto my spray in bed liner and it looked very similar to that. It also seemed like it took weeks to go away. I never figured out why the 2-stroke fuel did that.

The gas evaporated and left behind the oil?

McHenry2500

Reaction score
If I were to guess, the bike could not have oil injection and the fuel was pre-mixed with two stroke oil. Then the oil will stay behind after the fuel had evaporated.

My old Kawasaki was a pre-mix. This is probably the answer to my question and may answer the OP's question.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Could it be a diesel fuel hose from the tank or the rear filter, squirting up under the bed in that area. Since the rear two fifth wheel plugs are wet too, but dry between them and the center hole, would make me thinks it's occurring under the truck.
Very good possibility, too.

Fightingcarrot

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for chiming in. Sorry we had a family issue and I was away.

Anyway, I did manage to take it to the dealership and they had the mechanic inspect it. He explained that it was just condensation around the 4 outer holes, the reason why the one in the middle had so much fluid was because my catch can on my KX65 was leaking and it spilled some carb fluids (gas/oil) on the truck bed.

It is still very bizarre to me that fifth wheel mounts have that fluid/condensation gathering around them and it's regarded as "normal". I'm not entirely convinced it is, but they said the truck is safe to drive and importantly, safe to tow. I'm towing a 33' travel trailer this weekend so wish me luck (bumper pull not fifth wheel).

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread