Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 2500 CTD 68RFE Slow Downshift

RB452

Reaction score
2019 RAM 2500 CTD, 68RFE, 4X4, Mega Cab, Long Horn. Completely stock, just clicked 11K miles.

Was driving home from an event about 30 miles from the house. Normal routine is full exhaust brake on the street and auto brake on the freeway (no tow/haul unless I'm pulling). Has always worked flawlessly. As I hit my offramp I moved from Auto to Full exhaust brake. Made my right hand turn towards home and approached a red light. As I approached the light the truck (in full EB) wasn't making the usual noise and was most definitely not slowing down like normal. I actually thought for a second that I had lost the high pressure fuel pump because it was so quiet. Realized engine was still running but that the EB wasn't engaged.
Did some troubleshooting and noticed that the transmission now wants to get to at least 5th gear (if not 6th) as fast as possible. Now when approaching a stop in Full EB, it initially starts to brake, but the transmission fails to start downshifting to keep the RPM up, the torque converter locked and the EB engaged. By the time I hit 22ish MPH, I'm still in 4th gear and the RPM are so low the EB will never kick on.
It has never acted like this before. Engaging Tow/Haul mode makes it better, but it is definitely NOT the same truck it was.

The ONLY thing different about this drive (and it was just before I exited the freeway) was I had to punch it to get around a couple of cars and into the offramp lane. I hit 92mph, the fastest I've gone in it. Can't think that would make any difference but wanted to throw it out there.

I've put about 60 miles on it since this started. Some city, a little more highway, trying to figure it out. Would a transmission re-learn or quick learn be in order? Anyone seen this before?

I'm in So Cal and need to take it to Vegas this weekend so hoping I don't need a dealer trip, but don't want to hurt it doing something stupid.

Would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

LaB345

Reaction score
Ever figure out the problem with this? I notice my truck acting similar. 21 SO 68rfe. I used to drive in tow haul with exhaust brake on full all the time and as soon as you let off the pedal it would immediately start slowing down and downshifting fairly aggressive until it reached 2nd gear. Now it barely downshifts at all when you let off and won’t go below 3rd gear even when down to 10 mph. Makes kind of a growling sound when you get below 20mph.

Users who are viewing this thread