Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Front LED Parking Light Issue after AlfaOBD changes

jfreemanak

Reaction score
I mostly post on Cummins forum, but have not had luck getting an answer. So I thought I would try here. Background: Back in April, I installed the bed LED light kit from Mopar. I had read that our trucks are prewired for the bed lights (wrong) and thought I had found the connector on the back of the hitch (turns out the connector was for a proximity sensor to unlock the tailgate). Since the Mopar LED kit I bought was not specifically for my year, I cut off the connector and spliced the lights in. I then used AlfaOBD to enable the truck bed lights.

Of course that did not work, and I found out that wasn't the right connector. I then used AlfaOBD to turn everything back off. However, after making those changes (and cutting off the female connector for the proximity sensor that my truck did not come with), I noticed that when I open the door and the lights come on, only the passenger (right) front LED parking lights come on now. When the truck is running or in the on position, both the front parking LED lights come on (see pictures). I have scanned all my modules for codes, but have nothing.

I have been just dealing with it since April (and the many people that tell me my drivers side front lights are out...) but finally brought it to the dealership today to have everything reset to factory defaults.. I have spent many hours myself trying to figure out what is going on, but I have no idea. The dealer says they reset everything ($170) but the problem still exists. I am not sure that I believe them, because I had turned off my TPMS sensors pretty much as soon as I got the truck in early 2020, and those are still listed as not present (which they were when I bought the truck). I went back in to talk with the service advisor about it, and he said that was everything they could do.

So, does anyone know what is going on? Is there a master tech that could advise me what procedure I should ask for at the dealer to have my BCM reset specifically? Am I able to do a full factory reset with AlfaOBD?

I appreciate any help.
IMG_20210927_162841884.jpgIMG_20210927_162540806.jpgScreenshot_20210927-163020.png

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 , clean up on isle 5 :D

man, you have a mess going on for sure. did you make double sure all of the splice surgery was put back with good clean up and solid connections ?

I wouldn't waste a second with another dealer. they have zero clue and no time for that kind of rabbit hole. they struggle with straight factory manual activities.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Jimmy has already weighed in on this on the other forum.

However, don't let that stop the fun.

OP, First off, did the presence connector you cut off and wired into get restored to it's original state? Was there a sealing plug in it? Many of these unused connections require a jumper plug to keep the BCM happy.

Riddick

Reaction score
I would be looking very hard at the wires you cut. Make sure its hooked up properly and hopefully you soldered them back on. Crimps are hit or miss, soldering in my opinion is the correct way to repair a broken wire.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be looking very hard at the wires you cut. Make sure its hooked up properly and hopefully you soldered them back on. Crimps are hit or miss, soldering in my opinion is the correct way to repair a broken wire.

Not to get off on a tangent, but a proper gas tight crimp is superior to soldering for wire splices, particularly in automotive and aircraft applications.

Here's just one of many similar sources, including every military service electronics tech training program.

jfreemanak

Reaction score
Well, @Jimmy07 came to the rescue and solved my issue! I am so happy and mad at the same time, as I just wasted $170 at the dealership (and they definitely did not reset everything to factory defaults).

My issue was the setting 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.: Bed Lighting Present - Pin A5 was set to No, but needed to be YES. It has nothing to do with the bed lights for 2019+, but is related to signature lights.

Again, a big Thank You to @Jimmy07!

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk

Riddick

Reaction score
Not to get off on a tangent, but a proper gas tight crimp is superior to soldering for wire splices, particularly in automotive and aircraft applications.

Here's just one of many similar sources, including every military service electronics tech training program.

I was referring to repairing broken wires, not rebuilding a connector. You are correct, the military uses those exact crimp tools, I spent 21 years Active Duty in Aircraft Maintenance and used them often. I still stand behind my statement for repairing broken wires solder and heat shrink is my preferred method and there are several airplanes flying with wires repaired this way.... maybe even AF-1 :).

OP, glad you sorted your issue out!!

Users who are viewing this thread