Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019+ Frequent Regeneration Issue Tracking Sheet

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Towing with these trucks is key to keeping the emissions systems happy. I too, was worried at first about too frequent of regeneration becoming a problem. Between tracking regens, reading others experiences and some “seat of the pants” experimentation, I’m currently averaging 700+ miles between active regeneration and that’s using my truck as a DD.
Once I notice my DPF gauge get to around 1/3 full, I’ll take my flat bed trailer on a quick 20-30 mile jaunt and it will take the gauge down to zero and stay that way for quite a while. I feel like I have “cracked the code” lol.
I have come to the same conclusion. Even better is for it to go into regen while towing. The extra heat from the towing raising the EGTs a little higher helps get a more efficient clean out. Just from what I have experienced. We were heading out on a camping trip for a weekend and our truck started a soot based regen just as we got on the interstate. Trip was about 400 miles round trip. The next regen was 25 hrs and 1103 miles since the last one with the DPF gauge staying on zero the entire interval. It has been somewhat of a learning curve for me also.

oledirteh

Reaction score
So I have 91k almost with 17k in towing. I daily 110 miles a day to work. What ive personally found is running 75-80 to work and oddly that's where I get the best mpgs as well. The one time I had a issue was towing a 20ft trailer with a x3 on it headed to Kentucky and it said see dealer then 50 miles later was fine and fine ever since.

But daily driving at sit at 0% for 950 miles then the 24hr regen hits for 13-15 miles and back to normal.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
So I have 91k almost with 17k in towing. I daily 110 miles a day to work. What ive personally found is running 75-80 to work and oddly that's where I get the best mpgs as well. The one time I had a issue was towing a 20ft trailer with a x3 on it headed to Kentucky and it said see dealer then 50 miles later was fine and fine ever since.

But daily driving at sit at 0% for 950 miles then the 24hr regen hits for 13-15 miles and back to normal.
My DD is nowhere near as ideal as yours. I have a 15 mile drive to town and 10-15 miles stop and go then 15 miles back home. The trips to and from town are interstate so that helps some but I have to stretch its legs every now and then.

andy685

Reaction score
My 22 has been acting up as well. Regening under 100 miles. Currently at the dealer. They are saying the MAF is not functioning. Mine is the China version. Replacing with the same version.

bigboost

Reaction score
I'm going to add my truck to the sheet however just finished up weight loss so won't be a problem anymore.

I purchased the truck with 42K and it has regenned 3 times in about 1500 miles, seems excessive to me, but I see people getting them at under 100 miles so maybe I'm not that bad off.

Deltron

Reaction score
Dealer replaced the MAF sensor saying it was bad.

Well, 25 miles between regens at 75 mph. Takes roughly 60 miles to regen then the ~ 25 mile clock restarts.

It's roughly twice as bad now as it was before they replaced the MAF. This makes two dealers now that have looked at it. It's now back at the first dealer.

The 7.3 gasser Ford is looking better every day. I can't believe two dealers, one that's extremely well regarded large dealer, have no clue as to what's wrong. This pretty much tells me the days of diesel are pretty much over due to the crazy complexity.

Never ever should have sold my flawless '18, this truck has had numerous problems.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Doing a little traveling, I stopped in Alamogordo, NM and fueled at a Murphys. Didn’t notice the biodiesel sticker until I got through fueling. Between B5 & B10. The prior fuel was the Mobil fuel and the DPF gauge never got off of zero. Drove to Amarillo still on zero but about a hundred miles of mixed city and highway empty (400 towing and 100 empty) gauge is up to 18.75 %. I’ll get it blown out tomorrow and hopefully get rid of all of the biodiesel I have. Going to try to have it empty when I get back home. My last regen was 1159 miles and 25 hours on the Mobil fuel mixed driving, towing and empty.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Had another regen before we got home. 1173 miles and 24 hours since the last one. DPF gauge never moved off of zero. Regened 162 miles before we got home.
This truck does not like biodiesel over 5%. The Valero fuel I got in Canyon, Texas was almost clear compared to the yellow Murphys diesel I had bought earlier and the Valero pump had no biodiesel sticker on the pump.
So I would have to say my truck is doing like it’s supposed to. I changed the oil before the trip and left it a half quart low intentionally and it is still in the same place. Right over the top of the “SAFE” on the dipstick.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Had another regen before we got home. 1173 miles and 24 hours since the last one. DPF gauge never moved off of zero. Regened 162 miles before we got home.
This truck does not like biodiesel over 5%. The Valero fuel I got in Canyon, Texas was almost clear compared to the yellow Murphys diesel I had bought earlier and the Valero pump had no biodiesel sticker on the pump.
So I would have to say my truck is doing like it’s supposed to. I changed the oil before the trip and left it a half quart low intentionally and it is still in the same place. Right over the top of the “SAFE” on the dipstick.
Mine is the same way. Several stations locally, Sheetz being one of them, has signs on their pumps indicating that their diesel could be as high as B20. After several tanks of that fuel, and a regeneration schedule that was anything but desirable, I’m happy to have found another local chain that does not carry high bio-content diesel. The current chain I’m using (Coen-owned Amoco) uses strictly 2% Biodiesel which is the absolute minimum you’ll find in PA. (State law mandates 2% bio at a minimum)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Doing a little traveling, I stopped in Alamogordo, NM and fueled at a Murphys. Didn’t notice the biodiesel sticker until I got through fueling. Between B5 & B10. The prior fuel was the Mobil fuel and the DPF gauge never got off of zero. Drove to Amarillo still on zero but about a hundred miles of mixed city and highway empty (400 towing and 100 empty) gauge is up to 18.75 %. I’ll get it blown out tomorrow and hopefully get rid of all of the biodiesel I have. Going to try to have it empty when I get back home. My last regen was 1159 miles and 25 hours on the Mobil fuel mixed driving, towing and empty.

I run nearly 50/50 Murphy's (Sinclair) and whatever King Sooper (Kroger) has for supply and don't have any regen issues. I get whatever is cheaper based on my available fuel points. That said my 2020 never has (knock on wood.)

FWIW, I also like getting ethanol free gas from Murphy's for all the small engine, boat, and ATV use.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Mine is the same way. Several stations locally, Sheetz being one of them, has signs on their pumps indicating that their diesel could be as high as B20. After several tanks of that fuel, and a regeneration schedule that was anything but desirable, I’m happy to have found another local chain that does not carry high bio-content diesel. The current chain I’m using (Coen-owned Amoco) uses strictly 2% Biodiesel which is the absolute minimum you’ll find in PA. (State law mandates 2% bio at a minimum)
I think 2% is what the Mobil Synergy fuel is. I know in La any biodiesel 5% or more has to be posted on the pump. I drove up to one Murphys and it had a sticker saying between B15&B20. I drove off.
It seems like it doesn’t matter if towing regularly. I drove about 300 miles running here and there empty and the DPF gauge jumped up to about 18% while using the biodiesel but soon as I started towing again it dropped back to zero.

GitToDeChoppah

Reaction score
I was running into this myself on a brand new 2023 3500. I brought it to the dealer because the too frequent regen code threw an CEL with only 1500 miles. It was in regen every 100 miles or so.. They broke the air box while they were running their diag. They replaced it and ordered a new dpf, but it was on back order. They gave me back the truck while we waited for the new dpf and it no longer regens frequently. I’ve driven it about 1500 miles and it only regenerated once, and I think that was the standard 24 hour engine hour regen since the gauge was empty. Replacing the air box must have resolved my issue, or something else the tech did while doing his diag… at least for now.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I changed the factory air filter out in mine at 6000 miles and have not had a regen that wasn’t on the 24 hour schedule.
The factory air filter was discolored in places that made it look like it had been saturated with oil.

Units

Reaction score
I will add, I did a full filter and oil swap here recently at 10k. Still had the factory stuff. Noticed my DPF gauge would climb just a little faster than normal here recently, air filter was definitely dirty, like it had a sooty / oily spot on it. After changing my air filter, soot loading has seemed to normalize. Strange I know but it is what it is.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I was running into this myself on a brand new 2023 3500. I brought it to the dealer because the too frequent regen code threw an CEL with only 1500 miles. It was in regen every 100 miles or so.. They broke the air box while they were running their diag. They replaced it and ordered a new dpf, but it was on back order. They gave me back the truck while we waited for the new dpf and it no longer regens frequently. I’ve driven it about 1500 miles and it only regenerated once, and I think that was the standard 24 hour engine hour regen since the gauge was empty. Replacing the air box must have resolved my issue, or something else the tech did while doing his diag… at least for now.
I guess they possibly could have changed the sensors out as well. It would be interesting to see if there was any difference between the two air boxes or some of the ducting.

AZCummins

Reaction score
This is interesting as I switched from the local Circle K that is consistently 10 cents cheaper to the Chevron/Amoco down the road and saw a significant increase in miles between regens. Still nowhere near the 24hr regen schedule, but with the amount of unloaded and relatively short trips I take I am happy to be getting around 400 miles between them. Previously with circle K fuel was luck to get to 150-200.

I also still have my S&B intake, so tempted to try throwing stock airbox at it to see if it helps any.

Deltron

Reaction score
My dealer claims they fixed a truck replacing the airbox.

They have one on order for mine thinking it may be the issue.

Deltron

Reaction score
It would be very interesting to see what the difference is between the two.
I asked the dealer about this and the mechanic said he couldn't see anything. It was a Star tech that had them do it after they'd tried about everything else.

Apparently Star can look at real time data through the WiTech and told them to replace it. I have no idea if this is actually true but this dealer has always been straight with me before.

I'll update.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I asked the dealer about this and the mechanic said he couldn't see anything. It was a Star tech that had them do it after they'd tried about everything else.

Apparently Star can look at real time data through the WiTech and told them to replace it. I have no idea if this is actually true but this dealer has always been straight with me before.

I'll update.
Maybe you could take some pics of it inside and out before and after they change it out? I’ve thought all along that something was off about the air box/intake system on the newer trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread