Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 cummins awful noise on cold start (video attached)

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
Ok so im new here so yell at me if i dont post in the right location or whatever!
Truck has 4000 miles on it. Its done this twice now. Cold start (MA 40 degrees) , sat for a day. First time it made the noise was about a month ago didnt last as long as it did today. Today i managed to get it on video before it went away, and has me scratching my head. Dealers in the area cant see it until late next week and i hate giving my truck to someone else , especially because it doesnt make the noise on every cold start so we all know its not going to do it for the dealer! LOL
At first i thought it might be the air damns closing / opening but seems far fetched. Noise sounds like its coming from in front of the motor near the radiator. (Also should mention that @ 1500 miles i noticed a bolt backed out halfway that held the fan shroud bracket to the motor. I tightened that down at the time and everything seems tight still) Both times ive heard the noise were after that bolt was tightened and im confused what it could be.
Please HELP if you have any ideas

AKDoug

Reaction score
I can't see well enough in the video. Are your louvers closing? They should be at that temp within seconds of startup. Since they're driven by some sort of motor, I guess they could be making the noise. Otherwise I'd be taking a look at the fan clutch. Any chance you could show us a pic of the bolt you tightened?

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
The bolt that had backed out and i tightened is the one i am pointing to in this picture. Passenger side of the crank pulley. The louvers are closed when the truck is off and open shortly after start, which is why i was thinking the noise was from them having trouble opening?
When the bolt was loose i could hear a rattle coming from the shroud bracket at idle (thats what made me notice it was loose) tightened it down and it went away.

Attachments

• 9E324E88-F9CD-43C1-BC51-6B0C8B1934A8.jpeg
    9E324E88-F9CD-43C1-BC51-6B0C8B1934A8.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 124

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
Just want to get to the bottom of it. Shouldnt have two separate noises of this nature on a brand new truck, i tried to see if the fan clutch had any play in it but nothing really seems wrong. Big WTF

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I think if my truck started making that noise it would be time to get the 30-30:eek: but seriously please update us if/when you find the problem. That sucks. At least when you show the video to the dealer they can’t roll their eyes and say they can’t hear anything!

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
Lol thanks for the laughs guys! Glad it sounds like its not the motor so it aint the aint of the world but scaring me ha

AKDoug

Reaction score
I haven't watched my shutters at 40F. At -20F they are open and then close as soon as I fire up the truck.

My next step would be to have someone else start the truck while watching with the hood open.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Ok so im new here so yell at me if i dont post in the right location or whatever!
Truck has 4000 miles on it. Its done this twice now. Cold start (MA 40 degrees) , sat for a day. First time it made the noise was about a month ago didnt last as long as it did today. Today i managed to get it on video before it went away, and has me scratching my head. Dealers in the area cant see it until late next week and i hate giving my truck to someone else , especially because it doesnt make the noise on every cold start so we all know its not going to do it for the dealer! LOL
At first i thought it might be the air damns closing / opening but seems far fetched. Noise sounds like its coming from in front of the motor near the radiator. (Also should mention that @ 1500 miles i noticed a bolt backed out halfway that held the fan shroud bracket to the motor. I tightened that down at the time and everything seems tight still) Both times ive heard the noise were after that bolt was tightened and im confused what it could be.
Please HELP if you have any ideas
Occurring twice in 4K miles could be problematic to troubleshoot but... you got the movie! I'd hit em (dealer) with that just for sh_ts & giggles. Ya never know - maybe one of em knows what it is.

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
Yeap going in thursday but wanted to share for others and when i get the solution ill post up. Thought maybe someone might go oh **** that happened to me!

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Yeap going in thursday but wanted to share for others and when i get the solution ill post up. Thought maybe someone might go oh **** that happened to me!

Hi Kaukerjoe,

If you are in need of any extra support while your truck is in service, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. We are always more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
Dealer claims the truck is all set theyve had it for 2 days now and have said that they cant replicate the noise and that everything seems to be working as it should be. Im Pretty irritated at this point because there is obviously an issue they just arent finding it. Its not like it was a little rattle it was a loud noise and i know its going to persist. We will see i guess

Kaukerjoe

Reaction score
Starting to wish i never bought the truck obviously quality went out the window with this one... loose bolts , loose relays, now crazy violent noises that no one can pin point... not what i was looking for when i dropped damn near 60k

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I feel your pain, wait until your cp4 pump starts to make a rattle vibration noise since new like mine and the first thing they try to blame is you put bad Diesel fuel in it, so keep your receipts like I do to prove them wrong that I only put top tier Diesel in. I'm waiting to hear back on what they are going to do. BTW that thing sounded awful.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Dealer claims the truck is all set theyve had it for 2 days now and have said that they cant replicate the noise and that everything seems to be working as it should be. Im Pretty irritated at this point because there is obviously an issue they just arent finding it. Its not like it was a little rattle it was a loud noise and i know its going to persist. We will see i guess

Hi Kaukerjoe,

I'm sorry to hear your sentiments expressed here. I just had a chance to respond your most recent private message. Please take a moment to view that and follow up with me when you can.

Mark
RamCares

J Buck

Reaction score
I have a similar noise occasionally during cold starts on my 2019 ram 3500. I was assuming it was belt related due to the fact it only happens when it’s 30 or below. I was thinking of buying a Gates HD serpentine belt but I can’t find the length of the 5th gens 6.7. I took it to a dealer but that was just a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Diesel

Reaction score
I noticed on mine that when its plugged in on cold nights it doesn't make the noise but when I don't the noise starts....

J Buck

Reaction score
Here is a link to a video if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread