Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 and up aftermarket gears for the 6.4 hemi

snocam

Reaction score
As the title says, has anyone heard any news about aftermarket ring and pinion sets for these trucks? Along with master installation kits? I love my truck, it's been great for the 15 months I've owned it. It has the AEV dual sport lift and 37s, came setup like that. For the most part it handles the tires well even with the 3.73 gears. Credit for that certainly goes to the 8sp tranny. I'd love to have a 4.30 or slightly lower gear ratio swapped in. I'm at a good place with the truck financially, and I really like everything else about it. It's a bighorn/lonestar night edition. I love the interior. In the current economic climate, now is not the time to trade, at least not for me. I also don't really feel like the swap to 4.10 would be worth the cost. Lower would be better, along with a true rear selectable locker.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I have the 4.10s, but if I had a choice I’d selected something like 4.30/4.44.

That said my 6.4 works great with 4.10s empty or towing.

My last tank ran for over 400 miles and hand calculated it was 17 MPG. The Ram computer said 17.7 Mpg.

snocam

Reaction score

My last tank ran for over 400 miles and hand calculated it was 17 MPG. The Ram computer said 17.7 Mpg.
I guess a swap to 4.10 would be an improvement. It's just a bummer that we aren't seeing anything from Nitro Gear or anyone else as far as gear sets.

snocam

Reaction score
So just to update, I located the dealer that did the original unfit work to my truck, AEV suspension, power steps, etc. They are supposed to get me a quote to swap 3.73 to 4.10. The dealer is about 1.5 hours fron me, but no one locally would even consider the job.

Firebird

Reaction score

My 2019 had 4.10's and I loved them. My 2023 has the 3.73's and I'm seriously considering a 4.10 swap.

snocam

Reaction score
I like my 4.10 gears, but it would be $,$$$ to switch.
I realize this won't be a cheap upgrade. With the cost of a new truck, high interest rates, and the fact that my truck already has a bunch of nice upgrades done. I think the swap is a good option. The truck is still good with the current setup, but I know it will be even better with a lower axle ratio.

snocam

Reaction score
So I heard back from the dealership service department today. The ballpark price on the swap to 4.10s is $5500. I'm supposed to be getting a detailed quote emailed to me tomorrow. As things tend to go, I expect the final number to be higher. Quite frankly, I don't think I can justify the cost. At 3500 no problem. Almost twice that, don't think so. I've been happy with my truck for the past 16 months of ownership set up just like it is. The problem again seems to be that the parts all have to be genuine mopar. At this point I think I'll wait until the aftermarket catches up. I may try the pulsar tuner so I can keep the mds turned off. Possibly go to 35s next tire change. Maybe consider trading the truck in a couple years for one already setup with lower gears. For now I can just drive my 6.2 powered F350 dump body for a day or two, then get back in the Ram and it feels way more powerful!

snocam

Reaction score
When I got the official quote, it was up to 6800. Not gonna happen. Not enough benefit to justify that cost. We'll see if the aftermarket catches up. I have setup gears before. Swapped 4.88s into my 2004 lj. But that wasn't a daily driver. At this point, I'm not planning on swapping the gears. I may get one of the programmers that turns off the mds. Probably go with the borla exhaust, then just maintain and enjoy the truck until it's time to trade.

Firebird

Reaction score
When I ordered my truck it cost me $145 to upgrade from 3.73 to 4.10 gears - I too have been waiting and would love to see 4.89 or 5.13 gears available.

Right now the best option would be the AAM 4.44 gears.

FWIW - I wouldn't let a dealership or regular garage touch me gears since setting up hypoid gearing requires specialized tooling and training. It would be worth it to find a shop that specializes in axles and drivetrain such as East Coast Gear Supply, Randy's Ring and Pinion, etc. Setting pinion depth, preload, backlash, etc. is a perishable skill and I would only trust someone who does it full time.
I would love to have the 4.44's!

snocam

Reaction score
I would love to have the 4.44's!
I can't find any info on the possibility of the 4.44 gears swapped into a 19 or newer 2500 with the 6.4. I'm sure it would be expensive, but at least it would be more effective than a swap to 4.10.

Users who are viewing this thread