Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 6.7 oil consumption

225echo

Reaction score
So when I got my truck I didn't think to check the oil or anything about about 6 months I just happened to check the oil. There's no oil on the dip stick, I filled it myself then like 3 months later I did my first oil change. I had the dealership change it and again I forgot to check the oil b4 I left. Well camping season came around and before I left on our big trip I checked it. Again no oil on the dip stick, I filled it and noted where it was when I filled it. About 3 or 4 months went by I'm getting ready to change it but I was like let's just check the dip stick and see again no oil on the dip stick. I added 3 quarts and it's back to where it should be. That's 2 times I had to add oil between oil changes. I change my oil once a year I don't drive to much less then 10k miles a year. So is this normal I'll have to monitor closer how much oil im adding but I'm gonna say at least 4 quarts in between oil changes. I feel like thats too much someone said there's a TSB on oil consumption but I couldn't find anything besides the one saying not to use 15w-40.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 20210904_094637.jpg
    20210904_094637.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 36

flan

Reaction score
How long do you let your truck sit before pulling the dipstick to check?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So when I got my truck I didn't think to check the oil or anything about about 6 months I just happened to check the oil. There's no oil on the dip stick, I filled it myself then like 3 months later I did my first oil change. I had the dealership change it and again I forgot to check the oil b4 I left. Well camping season came around and before I left on our big trip I checked it. Again no oil on the dip stick, I filled it and noted where it was when I filled it. About 3 or 4 months went by I'm getting ready to change it but I was like let's just check the dip stick and see again no oil on the dip stick. I added 3 quarts and it's back to where it should be. That's 2 times I had to add oil between oil changes. I change my oil once a year I don't drive to much less then 10k miles a year. So is this normal I'll have to monitor closer how much oil im adding but I'm gonna say at least 4 quarts in between oil changes. I feel like thats too much someone said there's a TSB on oil consumption but I couldn't find anything besides the one saying not to use 15w-40.

Thanks for your help
Some do some dont id bring it up to the dealer though

boatdude1

Reaction score
Mine burns about 1 quart every 1,000 miles. 2021 3500 H.O. 8,000 miles on it. My 2019 did the exact same thing until I sold it at 10,000 miles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From everything i have heard it seems to be only the HO that has reports of it burning oil…

Nick

Reaction score
For some reason mine would drop a quart using 10-30 . Changed to Valvoline 5-40 and no more consumption . Don't know if it was the heavier wt oil but it stopped . it is an HD engine.

Nick

Reaction score
4 qts is definitely a problem . I have owned Cummins engines from 15 liters to 5.9 for decades and never burned thru oil like that .I am talking about pulling 80,000 lbs loads and 15,000 oil change intervals. You got a problem . Try to check the oil level on a regular basis . Get an oil analysis done , it will show any abnormal wear of metals in the engine. Just don't listen to anyone at a dealership telling you 4 qts is normal .Complete BS !

Firebird

Reaction score
For some reason mine would drop a quart using 10-30 . Changed to Valvoline 5-40 and no more consumption . Don't know if it was the heavier wt oil but it stopped . it is an HD engine.
When did Cummins switch to 10w30 oil? Seems that would be like water in a diesel! I admit, I haven't had a diesel since my 2016, and that ran 15w40 Rotella

Riddick

Reaction score
When did Cummins switch to 10w30 oil? Seems that would be like water in a diesel! I admit, I haven't had a diesel since my 2016, and that ran 15w40 Rotella

The bearing clearances in new engines are extremely tight. A thinner oil weight will cover all bearing surfaces quicker on cold starts. In extremely cold environments the bearings can starve for oil if using to thick of an oil. These clearances are a lot tighter than they were back in the day, do not run a 15-40 simply because you did in your diesel back in 2003. Stick to the owners manual, I believe they recommend a 10-30 or 5-40 for the newer engines.

Firebird

Reaction score
The bearing clearances in new engines are extremely tight. A thinner oil weight will cover all bearing surfaces quicker on cold starts. In extremely cold environments the bearings can starve for oil if using to thick of an oil. These clearances are a lot tighter than they were back in the day, do not run a 15-40 simply because you did in your diesel back in 2003. Stick to the owners manual, I believe they recommend a 10-30 or 5-40 for the newer engines.
Ok, thanks for the info! If 5w40 is also recommended, then maybe I can stick with that, as I live in Florida, and we really never get cold.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score

They recommend 10W-30 for summer and 5W-40 for winter. A 5W-40 is likely to be a better synthetic to meet that cold flow number as well and may also see reduced oil consumption.

Firebird

Reaction score
They recommend 10W-30 for summer and 5W-40 for winter. A 5W-40 is likely to be a better synthetic to meet that cold flow number as well and may also see reduced oil consumption.
Is this thin oil contributing to the consumption some folks are reporting? Is 10w30 what comes in it from the factory?

Firebird

Reaction score
I remember the early Ecodiesel's ran 10w30 oil, and that contributed to bearing failure. They switched to 5w40 after that

Nick

Reaction score
I had the dealer change mine once and that is what they put in it . They said that is what Cummins recommends . Checked my manual and they were correct . All about fuel mileage . I changed to 5 - 40 which is what they recommend in extreme cold though l live in S Cal .

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Is this thin oil contributing to the consumption some folks are reporting? Is 10w30 what comes in it from the factory?
Make no mistake, I'm sure FCA/Stellantis spec'd the 10W-30 for fuel mileage reasons.
It could, but that also depends on the quality of the oil and whether it's consuming the oil through the piston rings, turbo, PCV or if it's working hard and evaporating it.

Riddick

Reaction score

A thinner weight oil can contribute to some oil consumption. However, if you are burning 4 quarts between changes there is something else going on. Yes, 10-30 is what comes from the factory. The Shell T6 Rotella 5w-40 is a damn good oil and I bet many people run it on the forums here. You can purchase at your local Walmart, cant beat it for the price in my opinion.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Not sure when, but spec is 10W30 conventional for temps above 0F, 5W40 Synthetic only below 0F. 5W40 Synthetic is fine year round in any temp.

Guys, do NOT run 15W-40 oil in the 2019+ CGI engines. The hydraulic lifters will coke up. RAM has an OIL TSB that covers this.

Firebird

Reaction score
I'm sure glad I saw this thread, I would have just assumed 15w40 like always

Users who are viewing this thread