Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 3500 HD issues

Jammer173

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the forum, and I’m looking to get some info on a 2019 Laramie 3500 diesel. I have a 2013 ram Laramie which I bought new and it’s been great to me no problems, but the 5’7” box is killing me and from towing my trailer over steep grades which are everywhere where I live are pretty hard on the hemi or on the fuel anyways. And I drive 30+mins to work on hwy. so thinking of jumping to the 2019 3500 diesel with the 3.73. Is there any Issues with this new generation? Any info will be helpful as I’m going to look at the truck on Monday.
Cheers

jeffn

Reaction score
there are issues with every new vehicle sold today. The complexity of modern engine and drivetrain systems, reliance in integrated electronics, and convenience/comfort features is the cause. I have a 2020 3500 DRW and have not had major problems. Minor problems, yes:

- TPMS system is unreliable, 2 of my 6 sensors are not working and Ram has them backordered.
- I have intermittent warning messages about power running boards and and lane warning not working. Yet they work. It’s annoying.
- Random dimming of my center console display (I have the 12”).
- unexplained chirping noise at highway speeds.

More serious is the potential failure of the CP4 fuel pump. The odds are pretty low but it is a major expense. I focus on preventative measures for this, running quality diesel, changing my filters ahead of schedule, and not running my tank low.

Throttle response could be better, mileage kind of sucks and it hits the DEF pretty hard. Everything else about this truck is fantastic and I would buy it again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The only issue with my 2020 right now that doesn't have a fix is the "popping" in the front end. Probably cab mounts but FCA hasn't figured out a reliable fix.

The CP4 pump in the 19-20 trucks is the biggest known issue. If it lets go, it takes out the whole fuel system to the tune of $15k-$20k.

13-18 trucks and the 21 use the CP3. 2021 uses ISBCP21S3 - new version of the CP3.

There's HVAC TSB for 19-20 trucks built before 7/2020 - they have to pull the dash and replace the whole HVAC box.

With the price of used trucks right now, you're better off getting a 21 if you can find one or hold out for an order.

Jammer173

Reaction score
there are issues with every new vehicle sold today. The complexity of modern engine and drivetrain systems, reliance in integrated electronics, and convenience/comfort features is the cause. I have a 2020 3500 DRW and have not had major problems. Minor problems, yes:

- TPMS system is unreliable, 2 of my 6 sensors are not working and Ram has them backordered.
- I have intermittent warning messages about power running boards and and lane warning not working. Yet they work. It’s annoying.
- Random dimming of my center console display (I have the 12”).
- unexplained chirping noise at highway speeds.

More serious is the potential failure of the CP4 fuel pump. The odds are pretty low but it is a major expense. I focus on preventative measures for this, running quality diesel, changing my filters ahead of schedule, and not running my tank low.

Throttle response could be better, mileage kind of sucks and it hits the DEF pretty hard. Everything else about this truck is fantastic and I would buy it again.
Hey Jeffn thanks for info, much appreciated!
The only issue with my 2020 right now that doesn't have a fix is the "popping" in the front end. Probably cab mounts but FCA hasn't figured out a reliable fix.

The CP4 pump in the 19-20 trucks is the biggest known issue. If it lets go, it takes out the whole fuel system to the tune of $15k-$20k.

13-18 trucks and the 21 use the CP3. 2021 uses ISBCP21S3 - new version of the CP3.

There's HVAC TSB for 19-20 trucks built before 7/2020 - they have to pull the dash and replace the whole HVAC box.

With the price of used trucks right now, you're better off getting a 21 if you can find one or hold out for an order.
15 to 20k.... why so much. Does this part blowup and send metal into the injectors? I called the dealership and they said this part with labour is $2,300.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

15 to 20k.... why so much. Does this part blowup and send metal into the injectors? I called the dealership and they said this part with labour is $2,300.

Yes, all injectors, all lines, in tank lift pump, etc. As some say, if it goes off, it's a Glittergun (aka Glitterbomb).

jkbell

Reaction score
Yes, all injectors, all lines, in tank lift pump, etc. As some say, if it goes off, it's a Glittergun (aka Glitterbomb).
2019 Ram Bighorn HO dually...and I just received the death sentence yesterday.

I am eagerly awaiting the call to inform me of the schedule to fix the cp4 disaster.

Jammer173

Reaction score
2019 Ram Bighorn HO dually...and I just received the death sentence yesterday.

I am eagerly awaiting the call to inform me of the schedule to fix the cp4 disaster.
Did the cp4 go on you? How many miles on your truck?

roegs

Reaction score
Totally agree. Many buyers have the mindset that they can only afford used and never walk the 50 feet from the used car area to the new car showroom. Many times new is just not that much more - especially if you are willing to wait and place an order.

RAMMIT

Reaction score
Totally agree. Many buyers have the mindset that they can only afford used and never walk the 50 feet from the used car area to the new car showroom. Many times new is just not that much more - especially if you are willing to wait and place an order.
This why I bought new, 20k for a new motor no warranty at all on used, was it abused needs tires brakes, if I couldn,t afford new i would buy way older like the 2000 5.9 dually i bought with 500,000 just broke in , if the motor blows 10k and i only paid 10k fix the motor or buy another one

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Limited 3500 SO SRW. Ordered 6/2019, delivered 8/2019.
I had the following issues (some are well known).....
-wobbly hood at highway speeds
-a/c not super cold
-front end popping sounds
-driver’s seat stretched out and puffed up.
-I think one recall for engine fire possibility
-12” screen super glitchy
-backup camera in the tailgate would sometimes just show a black screen.
-backup sensors wouldn’t stop going off! I shut the truck off and that didn’t do it either. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that solved it, though it didn’t happen multiple times after that.
My 2020 Laramie had been quite a bit better except for the rpm gauge going out.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score

Yep.

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Limited 3500 SO SRW. Ordered 6/2019, delivered 8/2019.
I had the following issues (some are well known).....
-wobbly hood at highway speeds
-a/c not super cold
-front end popping sounds
-driver’s seat stretched out and puffed up.
-I think one recall for engine fire possibility
-12” screen super glitchy
-backup camera in the tailgate would sometimes just show a black screen.
-backup sensors wouldn’t stop going off! I shut the truck off and that didn’t do it either. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that solved it, though it didn’t happen multiple times after that.
My 2020 Laramie had been quite a bit better except for the rpm gauge going out.

Wow that would be awful. What a lemon. Glad to hear you got rid of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cseybert

Reaction score
Yeah, just think about the poor person who purchased it. Out of sight out of mind I guess

Rnyachtclub72

Reaction score
I hate the hood on my 2019. I did the little a/c hack kit on it. It seems to do pretty decent in this 110 degree Texas weather. Ram really needs to recall the hoods. Everyone I know at work with the same model deals with the hood flapping in the wind.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have a 2019 4500 cab n chassi with no wobbly hood actually the only issue I have ever had was the electric window switch frame came loose.
I don't understand on why some trucks have wobbly hood and not so cold AC? When they all should be built with the same parts same assembly line.

Users who are viewing this thread