Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 3500 DRW w/air suspension - rear axle spring rate?

Zinga

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the spring rate on the 2019 3500 DRW with air suspension is different? I've called dealers and they don't know. A few weeks ago, I asked several salesmen at two different dealers and all had the same answer: same springs and the air suspension levels out the ride on the 3500, when it is loaded up.

But, I suspect it might be different on the 2019. Maybe no overload springs, or less leafs (or both)? If you can post photos, then the differences might be obvious.

(Mods: feel free to move this to the Suspension forum)

Last edited:

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere here the front is 7 coils vs 6, and the back has fewer springs with air ride equipped.

D

Deleted member 80

Fewer leaves with air ride. There is a video where Rod Romain clearly explained this.

Zinga

Reaction score
Fewer leaves with air ride. There is a video where Rod Romain clearly explained this.
If it's clear, does the video describe specifically what does "fewer leafs" actually mean? I'm trying to get details or photos which clearly shows the difference.

Is it 1 or 2?
1. No overload springs, which could mean "same spring rate with no load in the bed, and the air bags function as the overload springs."​
2. Fewer leafs AND no overload springs. Air bags are the overload springs. Ride quality with no load is possibly improved (???) as long as the shocks are valved correctly. This improved ride quality could be subjective.​

If item 1 or 2 is specifically described in the video, please let me know and I will search for the Rod Romain video.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
If it's clear, does the video describe specifically what does "fewer leafs" actually mean? I'm trying to get details or photos which clearly shows the difference.

Is it 1 or 2?
1. No overload springs, which could mean "same spring rate with no load in the bed, and the air bags function as the overload springs."​
2. Fewer leafs AND no overload springs. Air bags are the overload springs. Ride quality with no load is possibly improved (???) as long as the shocks are valved correctly. This improved ride quality could be subjective.​

If item 1 or 2 is specifically described in the video, please let me know and I will search for the Rod Romain video.

Thanks in advance.
Find anything out? I blew a bag on my 2500 already and trying to decide to upgrade to 3500 with or without bags.

Zinga

Reaction score
Does it have overloads or are the airbags the overloads?

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
It's one less leaf. From what others have reported the 3500 with airbags has a better ride than one without. Unloaded.
But do we know what payload is? I’m being told 4100. Which would be more than enough for me.

archer75

Reaction score
But do we know what payload is? I’m being told 4100. Which would be more than enough for me.
No way to know without seeing the door sticker. However being a dually it will be fine for your 5th wheel.

This has some very rough numbers:

Yours will have less payload than what's listed there due to trim level and options. I would expect around 5000lbs on your configured dually. Maybe upper 4000's. Just no way to know for certain without seeing the door sticker.
There's a thread on these forums for people posting their door stickers. Maybe someone has a configuration like what you're looking at and posted a pic of it there. They may get you a ballpark idea.

Zinga

Reaction score
The Ram provided VIN payload capacity on my 2019 3500 DRW HO Aisin (and the larger axle) is 5560 lbs. With an 10.6% reduction, the new truck's payload capacity could be around 4969#. I should find out soon what the door sticker is but it appears that there's about a 10-11% reduction from the Ram web site.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The Dually will have a GVWR of 14000. So 4000 more pounds of capacity. It will also weigh more.

Your other truck was about 400lbs less than the chart. So let's go safe and say this one will be 600 lbs less.

The chart says 5670 for regular Cummins and 5420 for High Output.

Let's say your payload will be somewhere between 4800 and 5000.

Call the dealership with the dually you almost got, ask them to snap a pic of the tire and loading sticker on the driver's door jamb

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
697Current one on 2500. Yep! First to admit I was over weight on those airbags at 2280 and huge bump and blew them.
Now to decide. 3500 with or without air ride suspension. Dealer and mechanic at Dodge said If you like your ride now, go WITH other wise you will be bouncing without it without a load on truck. Agree??
Also very Thankful my dealership replaced both bags as a caution and got it covered on my mistake.

Zinga

Reaction score
I test drove both (DRW) and didn't notice a difference. But I also knew that the tires were at 80 psi, which was probably the biggest reason why both seemed the same. I also have a Ford F350 dually (see the sig) and the ride from the rear is more stiff than the Ram dually. So, if you're not used to driving a truck with a stiff rear suspension, it might seem the same.

What I wouldn't want is a rear suspension that REQUIRES the air bags for max load. If something goes wrong with a heavy load, you're S.O.L. especially if the rear axle is instantly riding the bump stops.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I test drove both (DRW) and didn't notice a difference. But I also knew that the tires were at 80 psi, which was probably the biggest reason why both seemed the same. I also have a Ford F350 dually (see the sig) and the ride from the rear is more stiff than the Ram dually. So, if you're not used to driving a truck with a stiff rear suspension, it might seem the same.

What I wouldn't want is a rear suspension that REQUIRES the air bags for max load. If something goes wrong with a heavy load, you're S.O.L. especially if the rear axle is instantly riding the bump stops.
Thanks for your input.

archer75

Reaction score
View attachment 697Current one on 2500. Yep! First to admit I was over weight on those airbags at 2280 and huge bump and blew them.
Now to decide. 3500 with or without air ride suspension. Dealer and mechanic at Dodge said If you like your ride now, go WITH other wise you will be bouncing without it without a load on truck. Agree??
Also very Thankful my dealership replaced both bags as a caution and got it covered on my mistake.
Oh you were way beyond 2280lbs on it. That's the EMPTY pin weight of the 5th wheel. Loaded up with all your stuff and that number goes up. You have to add in your weight and all the weight of everyone in the truck. And the weight of everything in the truck. I guarantee you that payload number is at least 1000lbs higher. Minimum 3280lbs. At least 1500lbs over the trucks limit.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Oh you were way beyond 2280lbs on it. That's the EMPTY pin weight of the 5th wheel. Loaded up with all your stuff and that number goes up. You have to add in your weight and all the weight of everyone in the truck. And the weight of everything in the truck. I guarantee you that payload number is at least 1000lbs higher. Minimum 3280lbs. At least 1500lbs over the trucks limit.
I didn’t load it up with anything or anyone on this trip. I rent it out at $329 per night to executives etc when they come in for rodeos etc. but yes when I do take it out, yes I would be way over. That’s why I’m upgrading. Probably giving this one to my 17 year old son.

archer75

Reaction score
I didn’t load it up with anything or anyone on this trip. I rent it out at $329 per night to executives etc when they come in for rodeos etc. but yes when I do take it out, yes I would be way over. That’s why I’m upgrading. Probably giving this one to my 17 year old son.
No dishes or bedding for them? Water in the tank? Batteries? Full propane tanks? Sewer hose? Water hose? All those things add up fast.
You would be driving so your weight counts as well.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you @The HOFF for posting that tire and loading sticker.

Right wrong or otherwise I hope everyone who says there is so much more capacity in these trucks(especially the 1500 crowd) realize, they are rated for a reason.

Please also understand the air suspension failed because it was overloaded not because it was "summer".

Users who are viewing this thread