Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 2500 Service DEF System

Awol469

Reaction score
So I live in Montana and have the dreaded Service DEF System see dealer, now down to 51 miles. Originally it through code P203E, reductant level sensor I parked it in the garage cleared code, added DEF and have drove about 40 miles. No codes now but still have see dealer message. The gauge has dropped so I know I'm using DEF. Any ideas on what to start checking? I have 67k miles so no warranty.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
You may want to double check on the warranty thing. I thought the emissions warranty was for 8 years or 80k.

Awol469

Reaction score
Talked to dealership and FCA themselves, DEF system 50k, unless you're in California and I believe it's 70k, go figure...

Firebird

Reaction score
I just had a weird question. Are DEF issues more prevalent up north than down south in warmer climates? You northern guys seem to get this issue a lot.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I just had a weird question. Are DEF issues more prevalent up north than down south in warmer climates? You northern guys seem to get this issue a lot.

I had that same code in Florida (twice) if that's any indication. I cleared it both times and it never came back again.

flan

Reaction score
Cold keeps def fresh heat kills it. So as long as you burn through it down south with it’s shorter in tank life span there may be less problems. It begins to freeze at 12 degrees American and there is a heater in the tank to thaw it so if working as designed it should not be as big of an issue as it seems.

Mikee

Reaction score
So I live in Montana and have the dreaded Service DEF System see dealer, now down to 51 miles. Originally it through code P203E, reductant level sensor I parked it in the garage cleared code, added DEF and have drove about 40 miles. No codes now but still have see dealer message. The gauge has dropped so I know I'm using DEF. Any ideas on what to start checking? I have 67k miles so no warranty.
If you get on a roadway and can drive at a constant speed above 15 hundred rpm for around 30-to 40 minutes, you should start the regen process depending on what percentage the exhaust filter is clogged will determine the length of regen process, or you can take to a dealer an for around 2-3 hundred dollars to clean, but i think youd prefer the roadway process, goodluck...

flan

Reaction score
If you get on a roadway and can drive at a constant speed above 15 hundred rpm for around 30-to 40 minutes, you should start the regen process depending on what percentage the exhaust filter is clogged will determine the length of regen process, or you can take to a dealer an for around 2-3 hundred dollars to clean, but i think youd prefer the roadway process, goodluck...
He’s got a DEF issue, not a DPF issue.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
such systems should be redundant. Put 2 heaters in the def tank, 2 pumps, 2 injectors, double the sensors. Add 200-300$ to the MSRP of a Diesel engine and save thousands of $$$ for the affected owners. The desire of deleting the emissions system might become less.
Another option is: Let Toyota design the emissions system and the supply chain needs to be in Japan.

Mikee

Reaction score
Their is a site that you can go to if you google the code an itmay give you some insight on how to check out an fix your issues, goodluck

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Cold keeps def fresh heat kills it. So as long as you burn through it down south with it’s shorter in tank life span there may be less problems. It begins to freeze at 12 degrees American and there is a heater in the tank to thaw it so if working as designed it should not be as big of an issue as it seems.
The heater is only on when the truck is on and at -40 it takes no time at all to freeze it solid lol

Awol469

Reaction score
Problem is I'm down to 51 miles so not really an option

Awol469

Reaction score
Yes due to the cold, it was -30 tank froze and when it thawed this started.

Awol469

Reaction score
You would think but this is a known issue, have a buddy that is also having issues but his is easy, it's the injector.

flan

Reaction score
You would think but this is a known issue, have a buddy that is also having issues but his is easy, it's the injector.
Yea that was a reply to firebird, I guess I forgot to quote the question he asked in his post.

LI Guy

Reaction score
We( LI,NY) had a couple of days sub 20f degree days and the DEF service light came on after the truck was sitting during that time. Weather got up to 40d and I cleared the code, never came back. ( I got other issues with abs module but that's another subject)..as for the heater in the DEF tank if it only works with truck running I can't see it thawing the DEF ( 65%ionized water).

Users who are viewing this thread