Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 2500 Carli 3.25 Pintops front end shake

ABP

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 6.7 with Carly 3.25 with Kings Pintops. I have a horrible front end shake that gets worse over 70mph. Tires are load balanced and even installed another new set. They just installed a new front drive shaft which made the issue worse. Sounds like the truck doesn't like the new front driveshaft angle. I searched and can't find other guys with Carli having this issue but I do find it on higher lifts. Anyone that has had this issue know a fix? This is all a fresh install. Brand new Carli, wheels and tires.

Arth

Reaction score
The guys over at CJC will ask about track bar and ball joints?

ABP

Reaction score
The guys over at CJC will ask about track bar and ball joints?
It has the adjustable track bar that I am told is adjusted correctly and the truck only has 12k miles so I would hope the ball joints are good. They are removing the front driveshaft today and test driving without it. All the symptoms seem to point to the driveshaft angle since the original one did it and a brand new factory replacement made it worse.

ABP

Reaction score
well, you've covered that. happy hunting.
Thank you for trying to help. I have read several stories of front driveshaft shake but they seemed to come from 6" and taller lifts. The shop is trying but at the same time it would have been easier to test drive it real quick when they removed the original driveshaft for the replacement. The shake can get pretty bad but I don't feel it in the steering wheel like the old Ford death wobble. Simular shake at times but not in the wheel. You feel it in the floorboard and seems to feel like it comes mostly from the passenger side. I was hoping my post would find that one person that went through the same thing and knew the fix. BDS makes a kit to lower the transfer case and get a better angle for the driveshaft. The kit is made for 4.5" lifts and higher but I guess that will be the next thing we try.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I run the carli 3" and have zero issues. I couldn't imagine another .25 inch would cause problems, even with the arms... if you remove the front shaft does the issue go away?

ABP

Reaction score
I run the carli 3" and have zero issues. I couldn't imagine another .25 inch would cause problems, even with the arms... if you remove the front shaft does the issue go away?
I am at the mercy of the shop to do that right now. They were supposed to do that exact thing yesterday but chose to just swap the front driveshaft for a brand new factory one. Doing so made the issue worse. Carli did tell them to try and clock my original driveshaft 1/4 turn to see if it fixed the issue. This leads me to believe some trucks have this issue. It also leads me to believe the shop is stubborn because it would have been very easy to take a few dabs of paint and mark the exact position of my original driveshaft, remove it, drive it and see if the problem is gone. If so try to install it 1/4 turn from original and drive again. I literally suggested that exact process when I dropped it off. In full disclosure they put brand new Toyo M/Ts for free and they also paid for the driveshaft so they are not charging me to diagnose and fix it. I just want it fixed correctly even if I need to purchase a transfer case drop. I understand until they drive it without the front driveshaft it will be hard to diagnose much more. I will have that answer Monday.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
interesting they didn't mark the drives haft before removal. that's usually standard practice. other oddity is they didn't just drop it off the lift after removing the shaft the 1st time just to see how it acted on a test drive. that would have answered a few trouble shooting questions right off the bat...

ABP

Reaction score
interesting they didn't mark the drives haft before removal. that's usually standard practice. other oddity is they didn't just drop it off the lift after removing the shaft the 1st time just to see how it acted on a test drive. that would have answered a few trouble shooting questions right off the bat...
They may mark it on their own. I didn't ask. I just suggested them to do that prior to removing it to diagnose this shake. And I agree 100%. Should have removed it and drove it without a front driveshaft. I think that would have given answers yesterday.

ABP

Reaction score
The front drive shaft shouldn't spin in 2wd....? Same as it being removed.
It is not the driveshaft. They drove it without one. Trying a different brand of tires. My gut has me thinking something is not installed correctly or aligned correctly at this point. I have never had issues with Toyo M/T tires

ABP

Reaction score
This

OP, your issues is 100% wheel/tire or alignment related (assuming your lift kit was installed properly) have your shop align to “thuren specs”
So not the Carli specs but the thuren specs? I assume I can find those on thuren's site? They are putting my stock wheels and tires on tomorrow since they have already replaced my new Toyo M/T with another new set of Toyo M/T. If the stock wheels and tires eliminate thr shake the plan was to try Nitto Ridge Grapplers. It is a good shop but they do not normally do Carli. They did icon coilovers on my son's 14 Platinum Tundra and it rides great. I am sure of it is not the wheels and tires it is probably something simple. I may need to find a shop in DFW that has more Carli experience

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So not the Carli specs but the thuren specs? I assume I can find those on thuren's site? They are putting my stock wheels and tires on tomorrow since they have already replaced my new Toyo M/T with another new set of Toyo M/T. If the stock wheels and tires eliminate thr shake the plan was to try Nitto Ridge Grapplers. It is a good shop but they do not normally do Carli. They did icon coilovers on my son's 14 Platinum Tundra and it rides great. I am sure of it is not the wheels and tires it is probably something simple. I may need to find a shop in DFW that has more Carli experience
Thuren alignment specs are the ones people use with great results. They’re a bit different than what the manufacturer recommends which is what the shop would show in their computer

Take that to the shop and have them set the alignment per thuren instructions. This is only what I would do in your situation. (Actually it’s not really because I do my own alignments at home) but, if I was having trouble I would do this.

ABP

Reaction score
Thuren alignment specs are the ones people use with great results. They’re a bit different than what the manufacturer recommends which is what the shop would show in their computer

Take that to the shop and have them set the alignment per thuren instructions. This is only what I would do in your situation. (Actually it’s not really because I do my own alignments at home) but, if I was having trouble I would do this.
The shop is running the alignment specs that carli recommends for the lift I have and their radius arms. Any experience on what tire pressure to run in 22x12.5r22 Toyo M/Ts? I have them at 50 psi right now. At 65 psi they were way too hard and you could actually see the crown where they were high in the middle.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Check the Carli website for tire pressures they recommend. I'm pretty sure its less than the 50 PSI you have in there now.

I'm running BFG 35's on stock 17" rims and run 40 front and 35 rear. She rides really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread