Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2020 speedometer recalibration?

Verado300

Reaction score
Anyone that put larger tires on their 2019-2020 2500/3500 recalibrate their speedometer? I am putting 37's on my 3500 swr soon and want to do it, but, there is not any calibrators out yet for this. Saw a guy on YouTube (Eddie) do it, but, that unit does not list the 2019s as one it works on, but he got it to work. Not sure if I want to spend the money to chance it, but, I will need to get it done as I want the speed correct, and more importantly...proper shifting. Thanks.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I can't say that I've done it personally, as I still can't even get mine ordered, but in preparation for whenever that happens, I've done plenty of reading in here. I've seen that people have had positive experience with the AEV ProCal as well as using AlfaOBD. I plan to stick with AlfaOBD as I've used it successfully in my 2015 1500, my 2016 2500 and hopefully eventually in my 2020 or 2021 2500.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Get setup with AlfaOBD and you can do many more things with it.

AlfaOBD
OBDII reader
Koadtech security bypass cable

jpidgie

Reaction score
@Verado300 ,

Here is where you can find what you need. Search this forum for tutorials / instructions. AlfaOBD's website also has some good information.

One thing to be aware of: when you recalibrate the tire size, you'll have to reinitialize the ABS, or it will throw a CEL
  • AlfaOBD: needs either a Windows PC, or Android device to function. If you go with the Android version, you can purchase it on the Google Play store ($50). More info here. Link: AlfaOBD
  • OBDII reader: most like the OBDLink MX+, but there are models that cost less that work as well. buy it on Amazon ($99). Link: OBDLink MX+
  • Kaodtech bypass cable: buy it from their website ($55). Link: Kaodtech
Hope this helps!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a 2019, there are certain things that require the Windows version that cannot be done with the Android version.

You can also get both if you find the need, the second license is half price.

A good monitoring app (that can also reset codes) is Torque Pro. There's a custom PID for the RAM Diesel trucks that can be used.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, the latest AlfaOBD updates kind of screws up the ability to change tire size. I expect this will get fixed as more discover and report it to Alex.

I had to use the Windows version in advanced mode (can't do this with the Android version) to force the ABS module to use 2013-2018 settings to do the reset procedures. AlfaOBD was (correctly) reconnecting to 2019+ (seemed like a new selection) but all the options needed were not there, or have been changed/renamed and I couldn't find them.

If you have a laptop with Windows, I suggest you buy the Windows version if you're only getting one license.

DieselScott

Reaction score
I recently used the ProCal Snap to adjust the speedo for my 37's and TPMS. Worked great and was easy. 2019 2500 Cummins

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Squatch

Reaction score
I recently used the ProCal Snap to adjust the speedo for my 37's and TPMS. Worked great and was easy. 2019 2500 Cummins

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I’m going to do my snap tomorrow. Was that bypass wire install pretty easy?

Houston HB

Reaction score
I bought the AEV ProCal to do the speedo and my bigger tire setup it was awesome. It also allows you to reset the TPMS units for lower/higher psi. Well worth it and easy, i have the alphaobd but im to scared to mess something up

jadmt

Reaction score
one thing with the pro cal is you are limited on where you can set your tire pressure thresholds.
The Procal Snap for RAM can only set values of 35, 45, 60, 65, 80, 95psi, trying to set a number in between will round up to the next approved value.*

Squatch

Reaction score
On the AEV, once I finally figured out that there are 2 different star connectors on my 2019 3500 and I had plugged my harness into the wrong one I was in business. Pick the one further from the fire wall, or closer to you (the bigger one with two rows).

R.J.

Reaction score
The Hypertech calibrator (752504) lists 2018-2020 Ram trucks

@JC

Reaction score
The Rough Country is the same Hypertech unit made and rebranded for RC by HT. They both support the 19+ Rams.

TexasAg2012

Reaction score
I installed the AEV Procal Snap a few weeks ago and am really happy with it. It was cheap and really easy to do. I used it to recalibrate the speedo and adjust TPMS threshold. When I bought mine, it was out of stock at AEV but found it at CJC Offroad. One of the biggest differences I’ve noticed is it seems to have fixed the shift points back to what they were when stock which was a nice bonus.

Houston HB

Reaction score
same here. Really i just bought a ez-lynk and that by far is the easiest thing to program for doing wheels and speed adjustments while doing tuning for the truck

DMC1

Reaction score
On the AEV, once I finally figured out that there are 2 different star connectors on my 2019 3500 and I had plugged my harness into the wrong one I was in business. Pick the one further from the fire wall, or closer to you (the bigger one with two rows).
Where are you guys finding the AEV Snaps? Every time I look at the AEV site it states they are not available?

Squatch

Reaction score
I got mine from CJC off-road, I wouldn't be surprised if covid supply issues aren’t getting in your way.

Users who are viewing this thread