Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 5500 chassis cab w max tow.. anyone else here got one ? 190K, similar year miles ?

johnda98

Reaction score
2018 5500 chassis cab w max tow.. anyone else here got one ? 190K, similar year miles ?

Would be curious to know if anything i should look out for.

2nd tranny as of 30K when it was young.. so only 150K on the tranny now

this unit is a montana truck so it does not have any big bumps in its tail pipe or other bits..

runs fine.. and no codes.

anything I should watch out for on issues for this year or similar year ?

has the max tow package and gears

flan

Reaction score
Was it used for hotshot or hauling? Pretty high miles for the year, check to see what the maintenance interval was on the trans, as long as the price reflects the high miles and you have some money set aside for repairs I’d go for it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im not a math teacher but would the trans not have 160k on it if it was changed out at 30k and it has 190k on it now? Lol

They are solid trucks i have seen a few with close to 500k they are pretty reliable

johnda98

Reaction score
Was it used for hotshot or hauling? Pretty high miles for the year, check to see what the maintenance interval was on the trans, as long as the price reflects the high miles and you have some money set aside for repairs I’d go for it.

difficult to say.. dealer had upfitters in irvine bolt on diamond plate on the rails and a new curt.. here is the link.. Welcome you guys experienced opinions any anythings you'd check. I have it on hold.. but not b ought it yet. was
going to have them put on lift.. drain and drop her pants.. (pan) .. so i can see the magnets and smudge my finger on them to see state of tranny
I'll watch it start from cold.. check blow by.. usual deal...

smell and see fluids.. test drive her on freeway..prob a bouncy ride w no load on her.. thats fine.. see how she shifts w/no load.. and maybe if they have a 5thwheel trailer around test it w a trailer load.

listen for exhaust brake on .. off

yes have a 10K budget for emergencies and major mechanicals for next 2 yrs.

johnda98

Reaction score
Im not a math teacher but would the trans not have 160k on it if it was changed out at 30k and it has 190k on it now? Lol

They are solid trucks i have seen a few with close to 500k they are pretty reliable
yes.. carfax said new tran at 30K .. 187 on truck now... 2nd aisin .. carfax also said new wheel bearings ! .. recall for the wheel stud overtighten OEM mistake... yes I was not being specific on the double digit miles.. kinda of marginal.. just the bigger numbers. :)

presume it has the OEM ball joints on front..

johnda98

Reaction score

Of course I was going to investigate.. if this Aisin blows out in the years ahead... possible to put a trusty reliable G56 6speed in a 5500 .. presume the output shaft and bell housing would kinda-sort just drop in. when the Aisin is pulled.

that possible ? that G56 box ok on this year 5500 ? thanks in advance guys

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The Aisin is a more robust and reliable transmission than the G56, especially under heavy load.

johnda98

Reaction score
The Aisin is a more robust and reliable transmission than the G56, especially under heavy load.
great to hear.. is that true of a emmissions un-restricted 6.7 using the Aisin ? or a kind of choked off de-tuned emmissions 6.7 stock OEM ?

this will be a Montana titled n Reg Truck.. no emissions there.

Any recommendations for both diff oils ?

Last edited:

johnda98

Reaction score

this unit has 4.88 ratio .. I'll be pulling 20k almost all the time and will be in no hurry .. 58mph cruise.. out west.. was hoping that wouldnt be too bad on the mpg if I just chug along.. no 70mph for me
BTW: I'm a Brit .. used to have a 5.9 2007 3500 DRW 6speed.. so I am new to the 6.7 league.. Thanks for helping this Brit out with info.

This truck would not even fit on the roads in England lol. medieval.

johnda98

Reaction score
oh.. anyone recommend a fuel filter ? was going to stick to the best Baldwin.. and keep to the mopar fluids.. even the ATF.. not so sure if I will spend on the Amsoil.. thought maybe good to keep all the fluids the same chemistry so it keeps the seals all happy.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on how much tuning you add. It’s not a de-tuned engine, it’s tuned for its use. Bump that power up too much and you will shorten the life of your components.

The same transmission is used in the HO pickup with 930 lb/ft of torque. That’s about as high as I’d go if you tow heavy and often. To be honest you won’t need it with the 4.88’s and 20K lbs behind you.

The 6.7 is a whole different beast than the 5.9. I really enjoyed towing with my modified 05 5.9, but the 6.7 does it better and easier stock.

Montana may not have testing, but it’s still be cracked down on at the user level. I’d keep the OEM components around, even if not installed.

Fuel filters… stick to OEM, period. I’ve run lots of Donaldson and Baldwin filters over the years, but on these newer HPCR trucks you can’t beat OEM. I buy mine from Geno’s Garage to get a good price and ensure they aren’t counterfeit. Mopar air filter too.

I don’t use mopar fluids once I change. The gear lube isn’t that great, and the Aisin ATF fluid isn’t synthetic. I run Amsoil in everything.

johnda98

Reaction score
It depends on how much tuning you add. It’s not a de-tuned engine, it’s tuned for its use. Bump that power up too much and you will shorten the life of your components.

The same transmission is used in the HO pickup with 930 lb/ft of torque. That’s about as high as I’d go if you tow heavy and often. To be honest you won’t need it with the 4.88’s and 20K lbs behind you.

The 6.7 is a whole different beast than the 5.9. I really enjoyed towing with my modified 05 5.9, but the 6.7 does it better and easier stock.

Montana may not have testing, but it’s still be cracked down on at the user level. I’d keep the OEM components around, even if not installed.

Fuel filters… stick to OEM, period. I’ve run lots of Donaldson and Baldwin filters over the years, but on these newer HPCR trucks you can’t beat OEM. I buy mine from Geno’s Garage to get a good price and ensure they aren’t counterfeit. Mopar air filter too.

I don’t use mopar fluids once I change. The gear lube isn’t that great, and the Aisin ATF fluid isn’t synthetic. I run Amsoil in everything.
The 6.7 looks all stock except for the lack of environmental 'bits'. yep.. its not the HO.. I think they dont put the HO in the 4500 or 5500.. yep for the reliability aspect.

well I wont be driving through Calif.. but yes.. keep the bits. And I'll do as much of the mechanicals myself.. so no dealers.. maybe diesel small shops for special jobs.

good to hear on the 6.7.. I was worried that it was not as reliable as the 5.9.. but I guess the old head gasket probs were the early mid 07- first years of the 6.7

oh.. Amsoil everything.. Wise words.. what spec for the Diffs ? and anything specific for the Aisin , primary eng oil ? so u use the G05 green HOAT ? after you went through the mopar pink HOAT

thanks in advance. cheers.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
For coolant I would find the aftermarket equivalent. It should be a 10 year/150K mile OAT. Do not use HOAT.

No HO in the CC, but it’s the same transmission.

Ram calls for 75w-90 gear lube front and rear, and that’s likely adequate. If you’re at max GCWR often then maybe a 75w-110 or 75w-140 out back.

I use Amsoil’s Signature Series ATF for my Aisin and Transfer Case.

For engine oil on my ‘18 I used DME to get 12 months of protection, since the OEM interval is 6 months. How much do you drive in 6 months?

On my ‘22 I dropped from their signature series to the Heavy Duty series because the OEM interval is now 12 months.

johnda98

Reaction score

For coolant I would find the aftermarket equivalent. It should be a 10 year/150K mile OAT. Do not use HOAT.

No HO in the CC, but it’s the same transmission.

Ram calls for 75w-90 gear lube front and rear, and that’s likely adequate. If you’re at max GCWR often then maybe a 75w-110 or 75w-140 out back.

I use Amsoil’s Signature Series ATF for my Aisin and Transfer Case.

For engine oil on my ‘18 I used DME to get 12 months of protection, since the OEM interval is 6 months. How much do you drive in 6 months?

On my ‘22 I dropped from their signature series to the Heavy Duty series because the OEM interval is now 12 months.

oh so DEX-COOL OAT then ? - I see in 2013 from HOAT to OAT. got it. yes HOAT that was my main coolant for the 5.9 what brand coolant do you recommend ? thanks

I'll probably do above average annual miles >14K .. up and down grades w 20Klbs out west CO/UT/AZ

I'll get the dealer to order in a Aisin filter for when i get there .. I'll pickup Aisin ATF in Dallas that day

anything else I should double check on for that kind of rig and those miles ? front end ball joint wear ?

johnda98

Reaction score
oh i see the cummins OAT OEM add is the fleetguard RED CC36077... I'll use the same stuff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread