Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 3500 Steering issue?

illucid

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I just got my first diesel, solid front axle truck and I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal or not. When I'm in a sweeping left or right turn, and the wheel is about at the 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock position, it try's to jerk back in the opposite direction, towards centre. It's a strange feeling that honestly doesn't instill confidence cornering. It's almost like the power steering is turning on and off. Any insights? Appreciate any feedback!

KneeDeep

Reaction score
How many miles on it? I have a 2018 with 103k miles and noticed a simulator issue. Mine does not jerk back but has a tight spot at both 10 and 2 and I have to use two hands on the wheel to get over it without oversteering after it gets past it. I attribute it to the steering gear wearing in the middle of 10-2 from most of the normal steer corrections when you mostly drive straight. Not sure if that is the reason or not.

illucid

Reaction score
How many miles on it? I have a 2018 with 103k miles and noticed a simulator issue. Mine does not jerk back but has a tight spot at both 10 and 2 and I have to use two hands on the wheel to get over it without oversteering after it gets past it. I attribute it to the steering gear wearing in the middle of 10-2 from most of the normal steer corrections when you mostly drive straight. Not sure if that is the reason or not.
It's got 134k miles. I was wondering if it was something in the steering gearbox or else maybe it's something in the steering intermediate shaft? Mechanic looked at it and drove it and said it's normal but just doesn't seem right. Seems kind of dangerous to be honest.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Likely the joint in the steering intermediate shaft

MoparDude

Reaction score
Thanks, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.
Hello, Just curios if you found a fix for your issue? I have a 2017 2500HD 70K miles that has been doing the same thing for a year. Unless I hear different I am considering a new steering gear box? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread