Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 2500 has been in regen for two years.

Jstein1226

Reaction score
I bought this truck used. Within a month of buying it, it went into regen mode but didn’t complete the regen. I took it to the dealership I bought it at and they told me I needed to spend $6k to get a new filter. I opted to get a second opinion. The second shop said it was my sensors and replaced them. two months later it happens again. This has now happened 3 times, last time was 2.5 years ago. It has been showing its in regen mode for the past two years. I have spent nearly $10k to try and fix this with no luck. Anyone know anything that could help me?

tchur1

Reaction score
I bought this truck used. Within a month of buying it, it went into regen mode but didn’t complete the regen. I took it to the dealership I bought it at and they told me I needed to spend $6k to get a new filter. I opted to get a second opinion. The second shop said it was my sensors and replaced them. two months later it happens again. This has now happened 3 times, last time was 2.5 years ago. It has been showing its in regen mode for the past two years. I have spent nearly $10k to try and fix this with no luck. Anyone know anything that could help me?
When you say the truck has been in regen for the past 2 years do you mean its going into regens frequently or that its quite literally been in regen mode for the last 2 years without stopping?

Jstein1226

Reaction score
When you say the truck has been in regen for the past 2 years do you mean its going into regens frequently or that its quite literally been in regen mode for the last 2 years without stopping?
The dash has shown regen mode for two straight years. It has not come out of regen mode.

tchur1

Reaction score
The dash has shown regen mode for two straight years. It has not come out of regen mode.
Thats crazy - i've never heard of a truck just staying in regen for years at a time. Do you know the specific codes? It would be helpful if you have the specifics codes to point towards a diagnosis. O2 sensors can mean a lot of things

Jstein1226

Reaction score
Thats crazy - i've never heard of a truck just staying in regen for years at a time. Do you know the specific codes? It would be helpful if you have the specifics codes to point towards a diagnosis. O2 sensors can mean a lot of things
I will get them checked tomorrow and respond.

Jstein1226

Reaction score
I posted the codes.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you making oil?

IOW, check your oil level often. Might also want to get an Oil Analysis ASAP.

OTOH, I can't imagine the engine lasting through 2.5 years of actual constant regen if the fuel/oil ratio is too high.

If the DPF is full and it's tripped excess regen, I don't think it can actually do an active regen.

Just a quick google search on codes:

P0562 - PCM low voltage
p2706 - trans shift solenoid fault
p203f - low DEF
p242f - DPF full
p2459 - excess regen
p0871 - trans OD pressure switch

Is the truck deleted or tuned?

Enve46

Reaction score
Sounds like a few compounded issues. Likely the DPF is clogged but you may have some low voltage issues causing the other issues
This. I would start with the easiest, cheapest and get the batteries tested. Change if necessary. Is there any chance this was once deleted/tuned?

Jstein1226

Reaction score
This. I would start with the easiest, cheapest and get the batteries tested. Change if necessary. Is there any chance this was once deleted/tuned?
Not to my knowledge. There is a parasite electrical leak that just started where it drains my battery overnight.

Jstein1226

Reaction score
Are you making oil?

OTOH, I can't imagine the engine lasting through 2.5 years of actual constant regen if the fuel/oil ratio is too high.

If the DPF is full and it's tripped excess regen, I don't think it can actually do an active regen.

I didn’t know about
Are you making oil?

I didn’t know about the oil analysis. I will look into this.

Enve46

Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. There is a parasite electrical leak that just started where it drains my battery overnight.
Man sounds frustrating. Multiple issues piling up. I know what I would do but that’s something that some people can’t/wont do which I understand but I’d eliminate the emission issues completely. I wouldn’t even know where to advise you on the electrical draw other than shut the truck down, every door closed and light off for 10 mins and use an ammeter to see draw. I forget what it should be under but it should be minimal. I think it should be around 1am or less. If that’s the case most likely battery issue.

Jstein1226

Reaction score
Man sounds frustrating. Multiple issues piling up. I know what I would do but that’s something that some people can’t/wont do which I understand but I’d eliminate the emission issues completely. I wouldn’t even know where to advise you on the electrical draw other than shut the truck down, every door closed and light off for 10 mins and use an ammeter to see draw. I forget what it should be under but it should be minimal. I think it should be around 1am or less. If that’s the case most likely battery issue.
That is the end plan but I fear there is more to it. I shut everything off and sat in it for a while. There is a high pitch low volume whine coming from behind/under the touch screen.

Enve46

Reaction score
That is the end plan but I fear there is more to it. I shut everything off and sat in it for a while. There is a high pitch low volume whine coming from behind/under the touch screen.
Uconnect screens are notorious for not shutting down, could need a new one. Try unplugging it and see if draw is there.

tchur1

Reaction score
As others have stated, this sounds like multiple issues stacking up.

I would try to isolate the power issues first as outlined above, likely due to uconnect not shutting down correctly.

Im still struggling with this idea that the truck has been in permanent regen mode for 2+ years. Do you have anyway to confirm that the truck is actually in regen 24/7 vs an electrical issue that is just showing the regen mode constantly?

Jstein1226

Reaction score
As others have stated, this sounds like multiple issues stacking up.

I would try to isolate the power issues first as outlined above, likely due to uconnect not shutting down correctly.

Im still struggling with this idea that the truck has been in permanent regen mode for 2+ years. Do you have anyway to confirm that the truck is actually in regen 24/7 vs an electrical issue that is just showing the regen mode constantly?
I don’t know how to get that information. It’s blowing black smoke. When I have the exhaust brake on, it will clear the regen under deceleration but the second I touch the gas peddle it the regen comes back.

flan

Reaction score
It sounds like you need to take it somewhere honestly. I believe you are in over your head. If you give a location maybe someone can point you to a reputable shop.

Users who are viewing this thread