Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st time towing 5th wheel.

jzellers

Reaction score
So I now there are a number of variables with in this question but curious on others experiences. I have a 2020 3500 Ram tradesman, high output CTD, DRW, long bed. Picked up a 17,000 GVWR (at time of towing probably around 15,900 lbs) 5th wheel. I have a B&W hitch in the truck and the MORYDRE Pin box on the 5th wheel. I was all excited for a smooth tow but I was receiving a lot of bucking while towing. Not sure if this is normal, or if it was just due to the trucks shifting and downshifting. Would like to hear if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if there is any advice on things to check. Thank s in advance.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Are you using air bags? My first tow with a 14k 5er was pretty sloppy and unpleasant. After I installed bags and run at around 65# it really stiffened things up. Night and day difference, I’ll never tow a 5er without air suspension again.

Nick

Reaction score
The Moryde should stop most of the chucking . Get an Airide pin box that addresses both chicken g and bounce . Although your truck can handle the weight no problem a set of airbags reduces the jarring effect to a degree .

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
So I now there are a number of variables with in this question but curious on others experiences. I have a 2020 3500 Ram tradesman, high output CTD, DRW, long bed. Picked up a 17,000 GVWR (at time of towing probably around 15,900 lbs) 5th wheel. I have a B&W hitch in the truck and the MORYDRE Pin box on the 5th wheel. I was all excited for a smooth tow but I was receiving a lot of bucking while towing. Not sure if this is normal, or if it was just due to the trucks shifting and downshifting. Would like to hear if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if there is any advice on things to check. Thank s in advance.
My situation is very similar to yours. I have the MORYDE pin box, but I am a little lighter than you with a SRW 3500. I was experiencing more bucking than what I thought should be normal. It felt like the truck and fifth wheel trailer were fighting each other. I noticed that the truck was down on the overload springs, so I installed a pair of after market air bags to level out the truck. The bags helped to smooth out the ride quite a bit.

I am shopping for a new truck right now (a dually) and I am debating whether I should order the truck with the air bags or to go with after market bags. I would like to go with a Reese Goose Box also which will help even more because it has an air bag and shock system.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Take it through a CAT scale and post up your numbers. Sounds like not enough weight on the pin. Full vs empty tanks can really throw off the balance as well. Some rigs have waste tanks behind the front cargo and fresh water behind the axle.

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
My situation is very similar to yours. I have the MORYDE pin box, but I am a little lighter than you with a SRW 3500. I was experiencing more bucking than what I thought should be normal. It felt like the truck and fifth wheel trailer were fighting each other. I noticed that the truck was down on the overload springs, so I installed a pair of after market air bags to level out the truck. The bags helped to smooth out the ride quite a bit.

I am shopping for a new truck right now (a dually) and I am debating whether I should order the truck with the air bags or to go with after market bags. I would like to go with a Reese Goose Box also which will help even more because it has an air bag and shock system.
I have the factory air and am very happy with it . Easy to operate truck levels out . I had after market bags on my last truck and they worked well also . Be sure to get the Trailer tire monitoring option . One less thing on your dash .

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
Take it through a CAT scale and post up your numbers. Sounds like not enough weight on the pin. Full vs empty tanks can really throw off the balance as well. Some rigs have waste tanks behind the front cargo and fresh water behind the axle.

Here is some information for the OP on weights. The first few trips with the 38’ fifth wheel it was loaded with just the essentials and empty tanks. No generator and no washer and dryer. It has a hydraulic system, a single battery and two LP tanks in the front bay. The pin weight was at 29% and I knew I had to do something because it felt like the trailer was overpowering the truck. The sofa is on the back wall of the trailer and has storage under it. That is where I put various toolboxes and 75’ of 50 amp extension cord. The fresh water tank is below the sofa, so I carry about 100 gallons of fresh water back there. I also load some other heavy things at the rear of the trailer. With all of this I was able to get the pin weight down to 25% and the ride did improve. Some of the improvements could have been from the air bags that I added about the same time. Loaded for traveling, I am at 80% trailer axle rating and 100+% payload rating on the truck. Thus my need for a DRW truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Air ride hitch or pinbox will limit the chucking

M109R

Reaction score
Reese’s goose box smooth ride no chucking and empty bed when not pulling trailer.

Attachments

• E5647B07-7740-4887-BD3A-91AEC3FF3D45.jpeg
    E5647B07-7740-4887-BD3A-91AEC3FF3D45.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 52

Richard

Reaction score
We use Anderson hitch which delivers a nice ride with very little chucking.

Users who are viewing this thread